5 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2014 11:52 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 window resize causes crash

PeterRafeiner

Win 7/64 on i5 with 16GB

Tried with ATI 7750 card and without video card.

Either way Premiere Elements 11 crashes or messes up the screen when I resize the window.

Adobe is of course of no help; sending me to the forum to find an answer.

Anyone have same issue or found a fix ?

Cheers,

Peter

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 window resize causes crash
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

I am not sure what you mean by  the without part of with and without video card, ATI 7750.

Is your video card driver up to date according to the manufacturer of the video card?

What window are you resizing when you get the "crashes or messes up the screen"? Are you referring to a Full Screen versus regular screen view?

Did you change to a Windows High Contrast Theme lately?

Are there any other problems with your Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit besides when you do window resizing?

After we rule in or out the above, then we may be focusing on the properties of your source media on the Timeline when you are doing this window resizing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 window resize causes crash
            PeterRafeiner Level 1

I installed on a PC with Win7/64 with i5CPU and 16GB RAM and 2 monitors.

No video card, as the i5 has build in Intel graphics.

I can use Photoshop 7 without problems and also use numerous other graphics programs for both photo and video playback and editing.

Because of the issues with Premiere Elements 7 I installed a Sapphire 7750 video card with the latest ATI drivers to see if that helps but no difference.

Basically I start PE11 and -without having loaded a project- when resizing the Window everything gets messed up to the point that you can not use the controls. I can drag another window over the screen and get a clened up view of the premiere window but all it takes is moving it again and all goes nasty again.

To make it clear, this has nothing to do with my source media as it happens even with just the opening screen loaded.

Naturally, the same happens if a project is loaded or one tries to resize something or move the preview window to a 2nd monitor.

As for the Windows 'Theme'; no theme is in use and no 'aero' either.

Basic XP style layout with clean single color background.

As long as I do not resize the video things are fine and I can edit, render, save etc.

Unfortunately one has to move windows around if you do this 8+ hours a day for a living...

Because a screen shot tells more than words...

http://bylawyer.net/premiere-bug.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 window resize causes crash
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

Thanks for the reply. I get the message clearly that your issue has nothing to do with source media and everything to do with display.

Premiere Elements does not work well with 2 video card situation. If your computer came with the Intel Graphics video card/graphics card, the program should work fine in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. So, the first order of business would be determine the display with the Intel Graphics installed with the latest driver according to the web site of Intel or the manufacturer of the computer. And, make sure that you are not working with a Windows High Contrast Theme for your computer. I have Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 computers all with the Intel Graphics and no problems with Premiere Elements 4 through 12.

I would check with AMD to discuss the possibility and merits of adjusting the setting of the AMD/ATI card and disabling the built in Intel Graphics. But, there should be no need for that based on the computer Premiere Elements workflows that have worked successfully for me with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit Intel Graphics.

If you are working with a dual monitor workflow, keep in mind that the Timeline is the only movable panel from monitor to monitor. Does your display issue exist only if you select Window Menu/Dual Monitor or does it exist in the non Dual Monitor situation as well?

More later.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 window resize causes crash
                PeterRafeiner Level 1

This is not a 2 video card situation as it happened with the basic system without the ATI card.

Besides, if you install a video card the Intel graphics are disabled.

I have since removed the ATI card as it was only to see if this solved the problem.

I have all the latest drivers installed so that should not be the issue either.

As for dual monitors; one is a VGA display the other is connected via HDMI.

I tried either display by itself to see if it is the dual displays that cause the problem or if it is either a VGA or HDMI problem.

However, either monitor by itself will display the same messed up graphics.

For us the 'Elements' version was to be only a test before going to CS6 Master collection.

However, seeing the problems we are having we are not going to spend $2500 for the full blown package of course.

I did a little googling and it seems I am not the only one with this problem. But nobody seems to have an answer.

Adobe customer "support" sure did not :-(

Frustrated cheers,

Peter

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 window resize causes crash
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

Thanks for the reply and the information that your Intel Graphics was automatically completely disabled by installation of the AMD/ATI video card. With AMD/ATI out of the equation, rather than disable, have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the Intel driver?

I am not sure how much ground you covered in your google searches, so please excuse if I hit some where you have been there and done that.

1. Have you been to deleting the BadDrivers.txt file, a classic for display issues, used when updating the video card/graphics card driver does not seem to be the answer. On Windows 7 64 bit, the path is

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. A new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated when the new project is opened, and hopefully the problem will be gone. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path cited.

But, I have never seen such a "mess" since the case of a user with very distorted display which turned out to be caused by Windows 7 High Contrast Theme.

2. Have you gone the route of the program Deactivation from with a project (Help Menu/Deactivate), uninstall via Control Panel, cclean run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts), and reinstall with anti-virus and firewalls disabled?

If you think that the answer may reside in the specific installation files that you have, you can download tryout files for 11 from the following site and then install your purchased serial number in it.

Photoshop Elements 11 Direct Download Links: Free Trials, Premiere | ProDesignTools

How did you install Premiere Elements 11 - from installation disc or from installation files from online download or was the program a pre-install?

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR