5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 3:28 PM by A.T. Romano

save just the catalog

Jumpcut 68

Save just the catalog in premiere elements 10 not all files.

• 1. Re: save just the catalog
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Peo Thisner

It is not really clear what you are after.

First, what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 Elements Organizer 10 running on? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

If you are looking for an Elements Organizer catalog on the hard drive, the path to it would be

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

and the Catalog Folder would contain the catalogs in existance.

If you want to create a second catalog and retain the current catalog, you can do that. The new one will then we tagged "current" after you create it. The prior one would still remained named but inactive.

See Elements Organizer 10 File Menu/Catalogs/Catalog Manager.

It does not appear that you are referring to catalog Backup since you mention "with no files". But, just in case, Backup catalog option would be found in Elements Organizer under File Menu/.

Please review and help us to define that information that you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: save just the catalog
            Jumpcut 68 Level 1

Thank you for your anwer ATR.

My operating system is Windows 7 professional  64 bit.

I still have a question about saving my cataloges

Yes  I can  create a second catalog and retain the current catalog as you said. But I would like to make a new catalog which is the same as the old one with the same content.. Now when I create a new catalog , it is emty without pictures.

Can`t I just save the cataloge as in a new name and go on  working on the new one cataloge. Like I save a wordfile for example. ( I dont´t need to make a back up of all my pictures  just have different versions of cataloges)

Peo

• 3. Re: save just the catalog
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Peo Thisner

Can`t I just save the cataloge as in a new name and go on  working on the new one cataloge. Like I save a wordfile for example. ( I dont´t need to make a back up of all my pictures  just have different versions of cataloges)

At this time, I am not commenting on the pros and cons of what you mention, but I will tell you how you might go about doing what you propose.

1. Follow the path

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

and the Catalog Folder would contain the catalogs in existence. In the Catalogs Folder, make a copy of the folder for current Elements Organizer 10 catalog.  And, give it a new name. Close out of there.

Then go back to Elements Organizer File Menu/Catalogs/Manage Catalogs where you will now see your renamed copied catelog listed along with the current Elements Organizer 10 catalog.

Open the renamed copied catalog so that it becomes the current catalog. Changes that you make in the renamed copied version will not be reflected in the prior catalog from which it was derived.

Please check out the above and let us know if that targets your question.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: save just the catalog
                Jumpcut 68 Level 1

Thank you again ATR!

It is working all Right now.

It was an important help, a smart way to solve my problem and save time.

I intend to scale down old copies of catalogs in order to have smaller versions and themes so I don´t  have to tag all albums from scratch again..

My catalog was quite big 1,27 GB just the catalog and handles som thousands of mediafiles.

Thanks!

Peo Thisner

• 5. Re: save just the catalog
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Peo Thisner

Thank you for the follow up with the good news of success with your plan to use "copy" catalogs approach as described.

It is an interesting idea that should be of interest to those planning their Elements Organizer strategy.

Best wishes.

ATR