• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you help me with FontExplorer font activation problems? LOCKED

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know how to solve a font activation problem I am having with FontExplorer 4.2? I am on a new mac with new fonts, I am using Maverick with Adobe CS6. With my new mac I bought the latest version of FontExporer Pro X 4.2. This program is having trouble with font activation in all my Adoble suite apps including Indesign. Here is what I am seeing:

1. The font activates, but the Adobe app does not recognize that it is active. If I go back to Font Explorer and deactivate manually, then re-activate manually. The adobe app might then recognize it. Sometimes it still doesn't. But this does not stay permanently, as soon as I do a restart I have to go through this process again. I see this more often with the User system fonts, but a few times with my regular fonts.

2. Other times, such as in Indesign, I go to open the file and the file stalls and doesn’t progress while it is trying to activate the fonts.

3. Another time I have seen after an illustrator file is opened the fonts aren't recognized as being opened and the text goes blank on the page.

4. In all adobe apps, if I go to use "replace font" on the missing fonts (even though they are turned on) the "replace font" menu only shows the basic system fonts, it won't show me the other fonts turned on.

I have seen these issues with both formerly created files and fresh new files.

I have tried the following based on feedback from Font Explorer staff:

Refresh your Spotlight database

1. Quit all applications other than FontExplorer X

2. Choose Tools > Refresh Spotlight Database

Clean your font caches

1. Quit all applications other than FontExplorer X 2. Choose Tools > Clean Application Font Caches (check all available checkboxes)

3. Choose Tools > Clean System Font Caches (requires restart)

Still after trying this multiple times, the errors continue and even get more random.

I have also tried this based on their feedback:

go to FONTEXPLORER X PRO -> PREFERENCES -> ADVANCED and make sure that "Automatically deactivate fonts which have not been activated by the system" is NOT set to never.

Then click on TOOLS and clean all font caches. Then reboot the system.

The auto-activation is using a new Apple technology (called Core Text), which unfortunately does not work correctly with some of the Adobe and Quark applications when keeping the fonts permanently activated. We are currently working on an update, and the next version of FontExplorer X Pro will fix this issue.

This has also not work. Can anyone help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

I'm going to lock this old discussion. Almost all references to old versions of third party products which should be directed to the developers of such products. If you're having InDesign problems, please start a new thread. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the folks that make FontExplorer. This isn’t an InDesign issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have asked FontExplorer, but their customer service is terrible. I have waited over a week for a response to many emails and still haven't heard back. I was hoping someone from this community came across the same issue and their own solution around it since FontExplorer isn't helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If their customer support is that unhelpful, maybe you should consider using a different product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Steve. I'm a fan of Suitcase Fusion and their support is

excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any know issues with my system/adobe CS6 and Suitcase Fusion?

Does Suitcase Fusion have auto font activation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and it works flawlessly for me.

There's a 30 day trial available on Extensis' website. Give it try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I have to uninstall FontExplorer to install Suitcases? How do I change over to Suitcases without conflict?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only used Suitcase Fusion so I can't help. Extensis has user forums and

you might want to ask there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here. FontExplorer is terrible since the new update on Mac Maverick.  (geez I hate apple)

Anyway it seems like font explorer is working on the problem.  Meanwhile I am using FontBook, not very good, but at least it works.  I don't have to reactivate all my fonts every time I open an INDD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the official work-around for this problem.

1. Locate "FontExplorer X Pro.app" in Applications

2. Right-click on "FontExplorer X Pro.app" and select "Show Package Contents"

3. Navigate to /Contents/Helpers/

4. Double-click "FontExplorerXLauncher-3.app" or right-click and "Open" to launch it manually. This is needed only once, afterwards the plugins will work normally.

Please make sure you open the version with the "-3" suffix, the other one does not fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mavericks has been available for over a year. If the company that makes Font Explorer hasn't fixed the problem by now, you need to seriously consider another product. (And, no, it's NOT Apple's fault.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official workaround didn't work for me. Will try some other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue once before – on another Mac.

Happened when I cleaned:

System Fonts Folders

Organized Fonts Folder

System Font Caches

Application Font Caches

– because of a font problem.

After this... Indesign wouldn't locate fonts activated with FontExplorer. Didn't have any problems with other apps (the once I tested).

Last time I got so frustrated, that I installed Suitcase Fusion. BUT... had same problem with Suitcase Fusion... didn't load fonts in Indesign. Last time the issue solved itself – almost... after 10 restarts and starting font explorer + indesign from another user account.

But this time... seems your trick did it. Thanx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, every time I restart my computer all the fonts activated in FontExplorer become invisible to InDesign. The only thing I've been able to do about it is deactivate the fonts and then activate them again and that solves it. But I agree, they really need to address this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the fonts that don't load well into the Applications > InDesign > Fonts folder. Works much better for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues, I didn't have any issues with Cs5, or 6 just updated to creative cloud and now my fonts are not activating. Its very possible thats its something to do with font explorer and not adobe but I'm sorry that some people on this post are not being very helpful. Suggesting that someone switch to another program is not helpful, I'm sure that is something to consider as a last resort but we want to try to find a solution first. Thanks to those that are actually trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I have the same issue with FontExplorer 5 (and before with FontExplorer 4 on Yosemite) and that it's been about 3 weeks of email corresponding support with them - with no success from their part to reproduce the problem.

The only thing that annoyed me with their support is that they didn't agree to do screensharing with me which extend the support to 3 weeks instead of few days.

On one email they wrote "we don't do screenshare" on another they wrote "we want to screenshare with you" and never did.

If and when I'll have news, I'll let you know.

all the best,

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 26, 2015 Sep 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

After my previous post, I got very angry and I moved to a higher support.

It turned out that when Time Machine start it's backup, Fex is deactivating fonts but does not showing it.

I had to install a special version they sent me and send them reports form Activity Monitor and this is what they came up with.

So far there is no solution, so sadly yesterday I uninstalled Fex and installed Suitcase Fusion 6 Demo.

I must say that I asked for a refund, they told me they will check it, and so far didn't got back to me.

I've been using FEX for so many years, so this whole issue really upset and disappointed me.

So far suitcase is doing fine, I miss some features but as long as it works it's fine by me.

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FYI

Today I have received and email from FontExplorer:

"We will continue to look into the bug, although it may turn out to be an OS issue which will be resolved with a future OS update.

Again my apologies for dropping the ball on this."

This means that FontExplorere ver.5 is incompatible with OS X Yosemite 10.10

You will have to move to Suitcase Fusion

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upgraded to el capitan and thought that was the problem but seems not as first post is from way back in may. if someone has come close to a solution i would, along with what looks like a lot of others, be grateful

suitcase. is fusion the single user version as there are a few versions to choose from? also, most importantly, does it work with os10.11.1?

same for me as for shlomit, i've stuck with fex since the beginning and this is plain sad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem. I came back with the version 5.0.2. to version 3.5.4. It's OK! (OS X 10.11.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here I'm going to try Suitcase Fusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more question: is Suitcase Fusion working with El Capitan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines