4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2014 7:34 PM by rchrdnsh

How do I created a transparent frosted glass look in InDesign CC?

rchrdnsh Level 1

I have a text box over an image and I set the fill to be black and  50% transparent but I would like to add a frosted glass look to it as well. I assumed there would be a gaussian blur effect under the FX menu but alas, there is none. So how else would I go about creating this effect in InDesign? I DO NOT want to create it in Photoshop or Illustrator and import it, but create directly inside of InDesign. Maybe a plug-in of some sort?

Thank you for your help and assistance in this matter.

Richard Nash

Los Angeles, CA

• 1. Re: How do I created a transparent frosted glass look in InDesign CC?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Regardless of what you WANT, this should be done in Photoshop.

• 2. Re: How do I created a transparent frosted glass look in InDesign CC?
            rchrdnsh Level 1

As far as I can reason, doing it in photoshop seems to be adding to much hassle and is essentially an illogical process. It may be that it's the only way at the moment, though :-(

To achieve this effect using Photoshop I would have to add the frosted glass look to the text box (just a rectangle, really) using a blur, then layer that on top of the image to make sure that it looks right, then import them both into InDesign, then add a transparent text box on top of the image with the fake text box (really just a rectangle, after all) I created in photoshop, then when I realize that I want to change the size of the frosted glass text box, then I have to go back to photoshop and change it all again and re-import it back into InDesign. I suppose using smart objects would be make this process a little better, which is good. but.....

If blurs existed as an FX in InDesign, then all I would have to do is select the fill of the text box and add a blur. Boom. Done.

Please let me know if I am not understanding this workflow correctly, or am missing something.

hmmm....guess I should make this a feature request, now that I think of it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Bob :-)

• 3. Re: How do I created a transparent frosted glass look in InDesign CC?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can make a feature request if you want but you'll need to make damn good

business case for how it will benefit all users. Keeping in mind that with

Creative Cloud everyone has access to everything I don't think you should

hold your breath waiting for something that Photoshop is designed to do.

• 4. Re: How do I created a transparent frosted glass look in InDesign CC?
                rchrdnsh Level 1

Agreed. I feel pretty confident that I can make a strong case for separating layout tools from photo editing tools :-)