5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2014 4:02 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems with portrait orientation in slideshow?

ermarkus

I have been working for days on a slideshow in Premiere Elements.  The output is to widescreen DVD in a project formatted for DV Widescreen 48khz.

In terms of landscape oriented photos (of various starting resolutions), I've resized them all to a maximum height of 480 pixels.  The output is very good.  Minimal pixelation.

I've tried a variety of alternatives for the portrait oriented photos (again various resolutions) and I cannot get the output to look anything like the landscape oriented photos regardless of the options that I've tried.  I've resized the portrait photos to a variety of pixel heights (400, 480, 600, 750, 900, 1000,1100 and 1200) letting the pixel width vary , and I've tried the same thing by resizing to pixel widths of the same numbers and letting the pixel height vary.

I made slide shows with Photoshop (version 7 or 9) a few years ago and did not have these problems. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Problems with portrait orientation in slideshow?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In my books, I always recommend 1000x750 as the resolution for any photos you use in a standard resolution project.

You can widen your portrait photos as wide as 800 or even a 1000 pixels if you need to to fill the video frame.

Your picture will either be too tall for the frame or not wide enough, of course. That's the nature of portrait photos.

• 2. Re: Problems with portrait orientation in slideshow?
            ermarkus Level 1

Steve, thanks for the quick response. Frankly, even using your parameters the portrait photos look terrible while the landscape looks fine. I don't recall this problem with a slideshow in an earlier version of photoshop. I also don't understand why a portrait photo resized to 750 pixels tall should look any different than a landscape photo resized to that measurement. They are both enlarged the same amount.

Eric Markus

• 3. Re: Problems with portrait orientation in slideshow?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ermarkus

With this Adobe Premiere Elements Forum structure, I still have not figured out how to access your prior posts to see where you have been and what you have done. Right now I will assume that you have Premiere Elements 12 (could also be 11) on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Your mention of prior making of slideshows in 7 and 9 Photoshop (you probably mean Elements Organizer 7 and 9) may be the tip off to problems that you may be encountering in version 12 - a problem maybe more than just a photo orientation issue.

Where are you creating your slideshow - in Elements Organizer 12 or Premiere Elements 12 Editor? What are the pixel dimensions of the original photos before you resize them? For now I will assume over 1920 x 1080. And, I will assume that all photos make up this slideshow..

I would like to call your attention to some focus points that we can elaborate on once we know all the details of what you are going

a. Manually setting the Premiere Elements project preset to what you know is correct before you import media into the project

b. If just photos and the original photos are over 1920 x 1080, then resize them to 1920 x 1080 so that you will be able to use a DSLR set for a 1920 x 1080 project which has the potential for giving you sharper photos in the end product DVD-VIDEO widescreen.

When you get into Premiere Elements now doing what you are doing, what are the project settings that you are seeing under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if the field look grayed out)?

Portrait will be portrait with black borders to the right and left of the image. Those photos can be left at that, or they can be placed on Video Track 2 and you could put a customized background on Video Track 1 to fill in the black (transparency) in the photo on Video Track 2.

Please review and consider. If interested, please supply the details referred to.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problems with portrait orientation in slideshow?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ermarkus

Thanks for the reply. But, for some reason the message did not get posted.

When you have time, please try again if you would like to discuss your Premiere Elements workflow.

Thanks.

ATR