2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 5:22 PM by EGS IT - Greg

Adobe Connect UAC Pop Up Problems - Blocks Clicking

EGS IT - Greg

We use Adobe Connect to trouble shoot problems with our end users.

The biggest problem I have is with pop ups from Windows UAC wanting to allow an action. We can't click on those through Adobe Connect like you can with normal remote control software. Also, the popup doesn't even show up. On the controller's end is just a black blank screen. The only reason we know that the Allow/Deny screen is coming up is because we've had users on the phone tell us when it prompts them.

If it was just getting past that screen, that'd be fine. We could warn the user to just click allow on those popups and be done with it. But it doesn't stop there. You can't interact with any window that involve the aforementioned UAC popup protection.

Perfect example: We need to delete something out of the registry. When opening regedit a UAC popup comes up asking if we want to allow. They click yes and you lose control over the mouse while that program is up. If they user minimized regedit, then you regain control. If you restore the window you lose control again.

We don't want to walk users through the registry. It just takes them deleting one wrong key to mess up a bunch of stuff. It's actually already happened once and the end user ended up having to reformat his computer because of it.

Is Connect intentionally designed to work this way?
      If not, is this a known issue?

Is there a way around it?

I did a fair share of searching/googling and was unable to find any answers. If this has been answered already, please point me to the right post and I apologize for creating an unnecessary extra thread.

• 1. Re: Adobe Connect UAC Pop Up Problems - Blocks Clicking
          flyingj481 Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

OK, to be fair, Connect is not an RDP application, and simply gives remote access to someones computer through the Flash Player. So, that said, UAC is doing exactly what it is supposed to, stopping someone from changing something on your computer. This is a Windows setting issue, not Connect. The UAC controls have prevented more interaction with the shared control function since Windows 7.

I wouldn't call it a known issue, but more of a known limitation of Windows. You can have the users click past the dialog (as you have mentioned) or reduce the setting of the UAC on their computer.

• 2. Re: Adobe Connect UAC Pop Up Problems - Blocks Clicking
            EGS IT - Greg Level 1

Jorma Jennings wrote:

OK, to be fair, Connect is not an RDP application, and simply gives remote access to someones computer through the Flash Player. So, that said, UAC is doing exactly what it is supposed to, stopping someone from changing something on your computer. This is a Windows setting issue, not Connect. The UAC controls have prevented more interaction with the shared control function since Windows 7.

I wouldn't call it a known issue, but more of a known limitation of Windows. You can have the users click past the dialog (as you have mentioned) or reduce the setting of the UAC on their computer.

I appreciate you taking time to reply, however you completely ignored the main problem of this post and only focused on one subcategory that honestly isn't that big of an issue.

We have no problem getting by the popups. Asking people to click a button is easy. It's the fact that any screen that receives a UAC popup is completely inaccessible post message. If it has focus, the cursor stops working. After that window loses focus, we have control again. That's an issue.

Also, I'm aware there's a difference between remote desktop applications and using adobe connect as a remote app. But after allowing UAC access, no application should be inaccessible. That completely defeats the point of *allowing* access.

My question still stands and I'm hoping someone has some type of helpful solution or workaround to this problem.

Thanks