• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video on ctv.ca won't play.

New Here ,
May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Wed. 30 Apr/14, I have been unable to play any videos from ctv.ca on Firefox or Explorer (on my Windows XP computer and Firefox doesn't work on my Macbook either). It does work on Safari though. I don't know if it's a Flash player problem. I have followed all the instructions laid out in the help section, but none of that has worked so far. This is my last step, plus I hope to be able to actually contact ctv tomorrow to find out if the problem is on their end. The other channels I watch online: globaltv.ca and showcase.ca and cbc.ca and citytv.com all work just fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox and Safari share the same plug-in on a Mac, so if it was a Flash Player problem, it wouldn't work in Safari either.

The XP dilemma is different, because IE and Firefox use separate plug-ins.

And unfortunately, MOST of the content on ctv.ca is "unavailable for viewing outside of Canada", so I really can't test anything.

As long as Shockwave Flash is set to "Always activate" in your Add-ons manager, in Firefox, it should work. I can get the video player to load, but then I get the "unavailable" error... in both XP and Mavericks.

Since XP uses IE8, there is no ActiveX filtering for it, so you'd only need to make sure it's enabled:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike.

I actually figured out what was preventing it from playing. I have an

add-on called AdBlock Pro. When I disabled it for ctv.ca, then the player

worked again, but I had to wait for the commercials again too. The other

stations are still functional with ABP activated for them, so I get to

watch them commercial free for now.

Lene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep... There are a lot of sites that will block all content if AdBlock is detected.

Time for the mice to go back into development and outwit the trap again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines