3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 4:21 AM by Ausurath

Make a circle that is not filled in

Ausurath

I want to know if there is a quick way to make a circle that is not filled in. The ways I have been finding online have too many steps. An example would be to make a circle selection then right click and go into the stoke menu. Is there no way to just drag out a circle like you would with the Ellipse tool only not filled in. Even Microsoft Paint has this ability so there has to be a way to do it in Photoshop (I would assume). You might be thinking that making a circle selection and going into the stoke menu isn't very many steps. True, but when you want to make a lot of circles that are not filled in it becomes really annoying to do it this way. Is there a setting with the Ellipse tool to make it not filled in?

• 1. Re: Make a circle that is not filled in
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It makes a difference what version of Photoshop you are using, but the best way, also happens to be a quick and easy, and that's use the Elliptical Shape tool.  Hold down the Shift key to force roundness, and when done, give it a stroke but no fill on the options bar.  Note that Fill has the red line through it.  This is CC and other versions will look different.

Stroked Circle.jpg

I said this was also the 'best' way to do it.  Try dragging out a round circle with the elliptical marquee tool, and making it into a work path by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the Paths panel.  Now zoom right into your 'round' work path, see how compromised it is.  This is a bit simplistic as a test, but I feel it must be significant, and depend largely on pixel count.  That is to say, a low res image will produce a poor circle with the elliptical marquee tool because it has to follow the available pixels.  The elliptical shape tool, on the other hand, is a vector object and not restrained by pixels.  All good stuff to keep in the Photoshop toolbox in your head.

• 2. Re: Make a circle that is not filled in
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

If I wanted to draw a bunch of stroked circle I would use a Ellipse tool set up to create a stroked shape layer with no fill. Then drag out shape layers. After all the circle shapes are created target the shape layers and Merge them into a single shape layer. Pressing the shift after starting to drag constrains the ellipse to a circle adding the alt  drags out the circle from the center. The point you started the drag from. That does not seem lake too many steps to me.

I see by the time I created my screen capture the boy from New Zealand had answered the question. Good morning Trevor or should I write good day you are one a head of me.

Capture.jpg

• 3. Re: Make a circle that is not filled in
              Ausurath Level 1

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the response.