31 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 4:13 PM by kglad

Running slow working on long animation

Tull Level 1

Hi folks.

I'm having problems creating a large movie in flash, latest version, only downloaded a couple of days ago.  It's a very simple animation, drawing over a photo.  I've imported the photo to the stage and everything started out ok, each frame is a key frame as I'm showing the picture build frame by frame.  I'm drawing on a separate layer to the picture, the photo will be removed at the end.  Through the first 100 or so frames it was nice and responsive, I've now got to around 400 frames and it's taking up to 5 seconds to add each new key frame.  I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact the photo has be to assigned to each frame as well as my animation, but I'll probably end up with several thousand frames and I can't be waiting 3 minutes to add each frame.  Is there a better way to do this?  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tull.

• 1. Re: Running slow working on long animation
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

your photo only needs to be on one keyframe.  if you converted that photo to a movieclip, enable its cacheAsBitmap property.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running slow working on long animation
            Tull Level 1

Thanks for the info, how do I go about this, I know very little about Flash at the moment.  Will this keep the photo visible while I work on all the other frames?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Running slow working on long animation

create a new layer.  add you image to that layer in frame 1, scroll to the end of your time, right click where you want the last frame of that layer to be and click add frame, not keyframe.  your image should be visible in all the frames of your timeline.

delete the layer with the image in many keyframes.  test performance.

• 4. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                Tull Level 1

Ok, I've been creating a new keyframe (f6) on the layer where I'm drawing, obvioulsy, and the uderlying layer has been creating a new frame for the photo, is this not the same thing?

• 5. Re: Running slow working on long animation

no,  a keyframe is not the same as a non-keyframe.

• 6. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                    Tull Level 1

No sorry, you misunderstand.  I've been adding a 'keyframe' to the layer I'm working on, this creates a new 'frame' on the underlying layer with the photo on it.  I've just tried deleting out all the frames on the photo layer, right clicking at the end of the time line and adding 'frame' and it's exactly what I had before and I have the same results.

• 7. Re: Running slow working on long animation

if you only have one keyframe in the photo layer (and it contains a bitmap or has its cacheAsBitmap property enabled) that's the best you can do, in general.

there may be something specific to your situation that would afford an increase in efficiency but that can't be easily determined via a forum.

• 8. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                        Tull Level 1

Just as a test I've removed the frames with the photo on, and I have the same issues.  I'm up to frame 650 now and it's so sluggish it's practically unusable.  This is running on a Win 8 tablet, Wacom companion, i7 2.40Ghz processor, 8Gb memory.  I doubled the swap file earlier and there was no difference.  Surely this should be capable of running Flash?

• 9. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                          Tull Level 1

Actually, I've just noticed, with the photo layer completely removed, simply selecting a previous frame, or any other position in the time line takes just as long, around 3 seconds.  An undo takes the same time, in fact any action using the mouse or pen seems to take an age.  It doesn't appear to be related to the photo at all.  However, surprisingly playing the movie is fine, plays without any issue at all.  It is an 800x600 canvas, is that a problem?

Is this a more fundamental problem?  Surely Flash doesn't grind to a halt at 600 frames?

• 10. Re: Running slow working on long animation

you can try creating a new directory and saving your fla there to see if that helps after restarting your computer and opening your fla in that new directory.

• 11. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                              Tull Level 1

Another thing to add which I should have mentioned, opening the file takes about 2 minutes, same for saving the project.  The system says the application is not responding, there isn't a great deal of activity in the task manager, the disk isn't being hit hard, neither is the processor, all other applications behave perfectly while this is going on.

• 12. Re: Running slow working on long animation

did you follow the steps suggested in message 10?

• 13. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                  Tull Level 1

New directory created, saved the project to the new location.  Restarted and loaded the newer copy, exactly the same.  In fact, after adding another completely empty layer it's taking even longer.

In the task manager I can see the memory usage slowly rising up to 87% where it stays.  The disk is very rarely topping 10% on a saw tooth.

I'm stuck!

• 14. Re: Running slow working on long animation

upload your fla to a server and post a link.

• 15. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                      Tull Level 1

Just as a test I installed the trial on a desktop with silly memory and spec and I get the same problem.  Not quite as bad, maybe 3 seconds delay between things happening rather than 6.

As another test I deleted out 600 frames, as soon as I'm down to a lower frame count everything works brilliantly, just as I'd expect.  So it's getting slower and slower according to the number of frames.  Is this normal?

I can provide a link but I'd sooner do this privately rather than on a public forum.

Thanks.

• 16. Re: Running slow working on long animation

ok.  maybe someone else will help you privately.

• 17. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                          Tull Level 1

I'm happy to send you the fla if you can give me an email address?

• 18. Re: Running slow working on long animation

the problem with moving this discussion from the adobe forums to my email is that our relationship changes.  i'll be giving you personal help via email and i only do that for my paying clients.

as long as you understand that, send me an email via my website, http://www.kglad.com > contact.  i won't charge you anything unless i can fix a problem and i'll let you know my charge and get your ok before charging you.

BUT if you already know you're unwilling to pay for help, do not send me an email and continue using the adobe forums where help is free and perhaps someone else will help you free of charge.

• 19. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                              Tull Level 1

Ok, I understand.  The reason I don't want to publicly share the file is the photo is of people who I don't want to make public.

Can you confirm if it's normal for Flash to get very slow when you get to 600+ key frames with only one layer?

If it isn't I'll pay for a months subscription and take it up with Adobe.

Thanks,

Tull.

• 20. Re: Running slow working on long animation

i can tell you that i just created a one layer, 1106 keyframe fla that's just as responsive as a one keyframe fla.  (and way more responsive than this forum.)

but i'm sure my keyframes don't contain the same objects as your keyframes.

• 21. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                                  Tull Level 1

Interesting.  How many objects did you have?

I'm basically tracing a picture, the idea is to trace all the lines a few pixels at a time, then hand fill, bit by bit, solid colours.  It's not hugely complicated, but there is at least one more object on each frame I guess.  I'm actually nearly complete with the tracing and not far off starting the colour, there is a lot more work in the colour than the lines.  As I'm at frame 650 now that must mean at least 650 objects, even if they are all simple lines.

It's quite possible I'll end up with tens of thousands of objects.  Now I think about it, that's a fair bit of processing.  Is there a way to turn a frame of vectors into a bitmap?  Would that help?

Just another thought, would it help if each frame was completely redrawn, therefore keeping the number of objects down?  I'll get that Roobarb and Custard look, but that would be ok.  Do 10 lines of 10 points have the same overhead as 1 line of 100 points?  Lines drawn do have a huge number of points, is there any way to reduce these without individually removing them?

I really do appreciate your help with this.

• 22. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                                    Tull Level 1

No, hang on.  That doesn't make sense.  I can draw the whole picture in one frame and that doesn't cause any delay.  The issue is definitely, at least partially, to do with the number of frames.

• 23. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                                      Tull Level 1

Could it help, if as a line gets longer, I turn it into a symbol? 

• 24. Re: Running slow working on long animation

no, that won't be practical.  if you turned it into a symbol you would need to enable its cacheAsBitmap property and with 600+ bitmaps, if your objects are 100px x 100px you would use 600 * 10,000 (pixels) * 32bits/pixel ~ 23megabytes of memory.

• 25. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                                          Tull Level 1

And, I've been using the brush, will it make a difference using the pencil?  I presume this would be a lot less points.

• 26. Re: Running slow working on long animation

i don't know that.

the amount of drawing complexity definitely has an impact on performance in the ide but you can usually reset things by following the steps in message 10.

• 27. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                                              Tull Level 1

Hmm.  I tried the new directory thing, made no difference at all.  I'm obviously overloading things.  Makes me think there should be a page of stats on the project properties where you could see the number of points etc to gauge against performance.

I think I'm going to have to work on 200 frames, publish, then start a new project with the last frame for the next 200 frames, etc.  Then pull them all together in something external.

That idea made me wonder if splitting the animation into several different scenes would help, but as Flash stores everything in the one file I can't see that making any difference.

I've got to decide which way to go now, starting from scratch each time trying something different is somewhat soul destroying and I'm running out of time.

Thanks for your help Kg.

• 28. Re: Running slow working on long animation

adobe scout is useful for profiling your app but that profiles the published swf, not the fla.

and you're welcome.

• 29. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                                                  Tull Level 1

Yes, I can see the swf format being a pain, I may have to get a bit of software to convert to mov and pull them into final cut.  I just hope I'm not going to end up with any unsightly joins.

• 30. Re: Running slow working on long animation
                                                                    Tull Level 1

Right, it seems there is a solution.

1.  Use the pencil, not the brush.  The pencil interpolates single points on the line, or curve.  The brush interpolates the outline using many, many more points, as much as 1:200 in some cases.  This has meant I can get to around 800 frames before the performance makes the whole process so painful I want to dig my eye balls out with a spoon.

2.  When I start noticing performance being a problem create a new scene, copy in the last set of frames/layers as the start frame, turn anything static at that point into a bitmap, and resume from there.  The application seems to swap scenes in and out of memory so the new scene feels almost like an empty project.

I haven't fully tested yet, but this seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for all your input Kglad.

• 31. Re: Running slow working on long animation

you're welcome.