6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 8:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Best settings for highest quality results, Blu-Ray vs DVD

Rikko

I am shooting AVCHD 1080p 60fps with a JVC GC-PX100, using a Windows 7, i7-2600 3.40Ghz., 8Gb.RAM, 1 TB HDD with PE11 and a Pioneer Blu-Ray writer drive.

I'm looking to find the best settings for replay on a 55" HDTV.  I have tested both BD and DVD without seeing very much difference between the two as far as video quality is concerned,

but I want to make sure I'm using the right settings for the best quality on both drives. Can someone please offer a step by step settings procedure for both BD and DVD, also which do you

think is the better route to take between the two?

Also, I have noticed there is a ghosting image after letters/numbers on faster moving content (like railroad cars) on my video even before transferring it, can anyone give some insight to what that might be and if there may be a solution ??

Many thanks for your anticipated help.

• 1. Re: Best settings for highest quality results, Blu-Ray vs DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rikko

There should be a marked difference between what you are seeing for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc versus Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

You are looking at resolution of 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second versus 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. Does your player have some DVD-VIDEO enhancing technology?

How are you setting up your projects.

a. If your source is 1080p60, are you (manually) or the program automatically setting the project preset to NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60?

Please check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio to confirm the project preset settings.

b. If you are heading to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, then

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_DVD Dolby (it is not adjustable, it is what it is....720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

c. If you are heading to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, then

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

with preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby (it is not adjustable, it is what it is....1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Where are you seeing this ghosting - before or after export? If before, are you looking at the rendered Timeline? If after, do you see this on screens less than 42 inches? What do you mean by

on my video even before transferring it

To where are you transferring this video or are you referring to before and after export?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Best settings for highest quality results, Blu-Ray vs DVD
            Rikko Level 1

ATR, thanks for your response, here’s the answers you requested…

“How are you setting up your projects.

1. If your source is 1080p60, are you (manually) or the program automatically setting the project preset to NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60?”  Manually for DVD

“Please check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio to confirm the project preset settings.”

Editing Mode: AVCHD 1080p square pixel

Timebase: 59.94 frames/seconds

Frame Size: 1920 Horiz.  1080 Vert.

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square pixels 1.0

Additional info:  When I published my test video for DVD I chose “Computer” on the Publish+Share drop-down list, then chose MPEG, Presets: HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality. Saved and burned to DVD

I also did the same choosing AVCHD Presets: MP4 – H264 1920x1080p 30. Saved and burned to DVD

“Where are you seeing this ghosting - before or after export?”  Before.

“What do you mean by on my video even before transferring it?”  I can attach my camera to my HDTV with a mini to standard HDMI cable and review the video before I transfer it to the computer, I see the ghosting, or double image of white numbers and letters on moving content, the faster it moves, the worse it gets.

• 3. Re: Best settings for highest quality results, Blu-Ray vs DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rikko

Thanks for the follow up.

At the onset of your thread, you wrote

Also, I have noticed there is a ghosting image after letters/numbers on faster moving content (like railroad cars) on my video even before transferring it, can anyone give some insight to what that might be and if there may be a solution ??

From what I have read, HDMI  is often associated with ghosting in the video being viewed . The following is a sampling of what I have come across so far from google searches.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?67424-HDTV-as-a-PC-monitor-VGA-vs-H DMI

http://www.amazon.com/forum/hdmi/Tx1SWNJHU4REX8R?cdForum=Fx22K54L3NSPOKZ

Are you seeing this ghosting after you have imported your video into the Timeline and the HDMI viewing connection is out of the equation?

Please review those links to determine if there is anything in them that would help improve the video viewing camera to TV via HDMI.

If you have 1080p60 source, your project preset seems as good as it gets.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Best settings for highest quality results, Blu-Ray vs DVD
                Rikko Level 1

I read the links, thanks.  here's some more that I left out of my last reply, let me know your opinion on what I should use out of the three, 1-Computer DVD, 2-AVCHD DVD, or 3-Blu-Ray.

Additional info:  When I published my test video for DVD I chose “Computer” on the Publish+Share drop-down list, then chose MPEG, Presets: HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality.

Saved and burned to DVD.  I also did the same choosing AVCHD Presets: MP4 – H264 1920x1080p 30. Saved and burned to DVD

Thanks for your help !

• 5. Re: Best settings for highest quality results, Blu-Ray vs DVD
                  nealeh Level 5

Rikko wrote:

Additional info:  When I published my test video for DVD I chose “Computer” on the Publish+Share drop-down list, then chose MPEG, Presets: HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality.

Saved and burned to DVD.

That explains why you are not seeing much difference in quality. You are not actually burning a Video-DVD, rather a high definition video file that you are storing on a DVD. That DVD for example would not be playable in a plain DVD player that did not understand anything other than the standards for Video-DVD.

This is not a problem if you are going to be the only one plying it, but if it was something to share with, say relatives, their equipment may not be as sophisticated as yours and might not be able to play it.

For something that is standard Video-DVD you would use Publish+Share> DVD. Then you will probsbly see the quality differences you expected.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 6. Re: Best settings for highest quality results, Blu-Ray vs DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rikko

Thanks for the reply.

Referring back to your post 4.

Saved and burned to DVD.  I also did the same choosing AVCHD Presets: MP4 – H264 1920x1080p 30. Saved and burned to DVD

Let us clarify. When the end result is "...burned to DVD" in either case, are saying that you take your saved file to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc, using another Premiere Elements 11 project on Windows 7 64 bit.

My post numbered 1, contained the step by step for taking your 1080p60 Timeline directly to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

If you are going to introduce intermediates in your workflow (Timeline content saved to file and then burn to disc), then I would offer the following scheme

a. 1080p60 project preset (project 1)

b. 1080p60 Timeline saved to file via

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 (and then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, customize the export settings for 1080p60 instead of 1080p30)

c. Import that back into Premiere Elements 1080p60 project (project 2) and burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc..

This is another alternative interpretation to your saved and burned to DVD.....in one project, you are doing two different exports...one to a file saved to the hard drive and after than the burn to disc (be it DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc). If this is the case, there is no "intermediate".

There used to be the discussion about HDV to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc - whether HDV file should be imported into the project as source or whether the user should downsize the HDV to DV widescreen in the camera before import into a DV Widescreen Premiere Elements project. As we getting into this type of question with your 1080p60 to DV widescreen?

Please review and consider. And, then please let me know if any of the above addresses your considerations.

Thanks.

ATR