17 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 10:59 AM by A.T. Romano

How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???

Grammy6

Am I talking to myself???

• 1. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why do you ask if you're talking to yourself?

Yes, you can certainly use photos from any source in any version of Premiere Elements, grammy.

If you're having trouble doing this, what steps are you taking and what's happening?

• 2. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
            A.T. Romano Level 7

grammy6

I am having a problem understanding SG's reply to you since you are not asking whether or not still image format is supported by Premiere Elements (any version). You ask "How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12?"

Where are these photos now - in a version 3 project.prel file or some place else? Do the original photos still exist saved to the computer hard drive where Premiere Elements 3 or 12 is installed? When you write "Elem 12", can we assume that you mean Premiere Elements 12 and not Elements Organizer 12?

Are you basically asking how to get a Premiere Elements 3 project.prel file to open in Premiere Elements 12?

I will be watching for the exchange of information between you and SG for clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
              Grammy6 Level 1

When i typed my question, I thought i was going to get an immediate answer from a live Photoshop Tec, but I live and learn...slowly.  That is why the Am I talking to myself?

I have had  PS 3 since it came out and never upgraded until now, and at the moment I am sorry.Seems like a hassle to just get started. Right now i click on the Photoshop icon on my windows computer (wish i could afford a Mac) and all my photos are there. How do I get them to PS 12? I really appreciate any help you can give me. Don't know a whole lot about the computer, but I can take great photos, and love what I have learned by trial and error on PS.....Help me if you can and Thanks X 1000.

Marilyn

• 4. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilyn

These forums, and the Premiere Elements (video editing) Forum that we are in now, are not Adobe. These are user to user forums. We are visitors who come and go on our own schedules and try to share our Premiere Elements workflow experiences with others. We all answer on a timely basis which is not immediate.

Your reply (numbered 3) brings up another matter. In it you talk about Photoshop and PS3 and PS12. The title of your thread cites Premiere Elements. So, please clarify with what program we are dealing. For the moment, I will assume Premiere Elements 3 (video editor) and not Photoshop Elements 3 (photo editor).

Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 trivia

1. Premiere Elements 3 Windows requires the 3.0.2 Update to be installed to get a stable program.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

2. Assuming we overcome that detail, I am not sure if you will be able to gain any MPEG2 activation for the burn to disc workflow. Several Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 users have reported failures in this regard. Try anyway, but you may run into this obstacle. And, according to Adobe documentation, it has discontinued MPEG2 activation in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and earlier. I am still not clear on what is going on with that.

IF Photoshop Elements 3

I believe that Photoshop Elements 3 may have had an organizer of sorts, maybe called photo album. I would need to go back and look at the Photoshop Elements 3 specs. But, if you can see your photos in Photoshop Elements 3 photo album, then the original are saved to the computer hard drive somewhere.

So, best import your photos into Photoshop Elements 12 via 12's File/Open or import them into the Elements Organizer 12 that comes with Photoshop Elements 12. In latter versions, there is the concept of converting a catalog from an earlier version in the later version of what is now called "Elements Organizer". I am not sure if catalog conversion is a possibility between Photoshop Elements 3 Photo Album and Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer.

Please clarify so that we can be sure we are discussing the right program. If need be, I could install Photoshop Elements 3 and see what is what taking photos from a photo album to an Elements Organizer.

We will watch for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilyn

This is getting interesting.

I just came across this Amazon ad for Photoshop Elements 3 book. From the ad, it looks like Photoshop Elements 3 has an Organizer, not the photo album.

So, if you say that you are using Photoshop Elements 3, not Premiere Elements 3, I will install Photoshop Elements 3, import some photos into its Organizer and look at the can and cannot dos between it and Photoshop Elements 12.

A Short Course in Photoshop Elements 3.0: The Organizer (Book/eBook): Dennis Curtin: 9781928873556: Amazon.com: Books

Photoshop Elements questions should be posted in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum, but your question has sparked the interest of this video editing type person (me).

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                    Grammy6 Level 1

Hi,

I have Photoshop Elements 3 and the images do go into an organizer, not into an album. Does that help?

Marilyn

• 7. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilyn

Thanks. That clears up the matter. The question is best asked and answered in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum and with Barbara Brundage, but I will put on my Photoshop Elements hat and do some first hand looking at the best way to get Photoshop Elements 3 Organizer photos into the Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer. Am I correct in that is what you want to do and are asking about?

There may be a chance of converting the Photoshop Elements 3 Organizer catalog in Elements Organizer 12 of Photoshop Elements 12.

I do not believe that "creations" in the Photoshop Elements 3 Organizer catalog will go along with the conversion. But, just photos in the Photoshop Elements 3 Organizer catalog, maybe.

Check out the following Adobe document about updating catalogs.

Common catalog upgrade issues | Organizer | Elements 6 or later

I will install Photoshop Elements 3 on Windows 7 64 bit and take a look at the Organizer situation. I also have Photoshop Elements 12/Elements Organizer 12 on the same computer.

I should have the results  together by tomorrow morning or early afternoon.

To be continued... Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                        Grammy6 Level 1

You are a gem, a jewel and a prize of nature! See you tomorrow.

M

• 9. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do not have PREMIERE Elements, the video editing program, I think you are in the wrong place

PHOTOSHOP Elements has a different forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

• 10. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

I am in the process of giving this a look even though Photoshop Elements 3 is in the mix. I am rationalizing this on the basis that the Organizer is common to both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements. And, I do have Photoshop Elements 3 and its Organizer as well as Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12. Should provide some interesting (hopefully useful) information.

Should have the answer by tomorrow.

ATR

• 11. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                              Grammy6 Level 1

I have Elements 3 and the images go into an organizer

• 12. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilyn

Good news, but with a lot of ifs. This is a doable task if.....

1. The biggest if of them all, if you can get Photoshop Elements 3 and its Organizer installed on the same computer as Photoshop Elements 12 and its Elements Organizer 12.

a. I could install Photoshop Elements 3 on Windows 7 64 bit to the Editor, but could not open its Organizer. I used Run As Administrator (from right click of desktop icon) as well as running the program from User Account with Administrative Priviledges. Of note, one of its components "Windows Media 9 Series Runtime" would not install. Lots of incompatibility messages.

b. But, I did install successfully Photoshop Elements 3 on Windows 8.1 64 bit where Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12 was installed. This worked in spite of the incompatibility messages and the failure of the component "Windows Media 9 Series Runtime" to install.

Here is the plan.

Open Photoshop Elements 3 to its Organizer,

In the Organizer workspace, go to File Menu/Catalogs/Catalogs Dialog.

If you click Open in the Catalogs Dialog, you are taken to the Catalog.psa. ...The location of that Catalogs.psa file should be Local Disk C\Program Data\Adobe/Catalogs.

(The important matter here is to get the name of your Photoshop Elements 3 catalog).

Close out of Photoshop Elements 3.

Open Elements Organizer 12.

Go to File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalogs Manager

In the Catalogs Manager, click on the Convert button. When it opens look for the name of the Photoshop Elements 3 catalog and follow the instructions given.

Make sure to rename this converted catalog. This should definitely work for photos, did not try to verify that creations will not be included in the converted catalog.

When all is said and done, you should have your Photoshop Elements 3 catalog as it was. And, you should have the converted catalog, with at least photos, in Elements Organizer 12. Whatever you do in this Elements Organizer 12 new catalog, will not be reflected in the Photoshop Elements 3 Organizer catalog from which this new one is derived.

Please review and let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilyn

Add On to post 12...

If you have the photos saved to the computer hard drive, weigh the pros and cons of importing the photos saved to the computer hard drive into Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12 instead of going for the catalog conversion.

ATR

• 14. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                                    Grammy6 Level 1

Hello,

I am still here, life's duties have interrupted my quest. Where are we on this situation and what should I do?

Marilyn

• 15. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilyn,

Thanks for the follow up.

Right now

1. Did you try for the conversion of the Photoshop Elements 3 Organizer catalog in the Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12 catalog as described in a prior post? If that did not work, what happened to prevent it from working...error messages and such...which end of the route?

2. If the catalog conversion route was a no go for those photos that you want in the Photoshop Elements 12 Organizer 12 catalog, were you able to importing those photos successfully into Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12 directly from their computer hard drive save location?

Those were the latest goals/considerations as I recall.

We will be watching for further developments when you have time.

Best wishes

ATR

• 16. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                                        Grammy6 Level 1

I printed all your info will review and try to wade through it. i may have

to call upon more savvy friends to help me.

"Film at 11" Thanks

M

• 17. Re: How to get photos from Premiere Elem 3 to Elem 12 ???
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Marilyn

One step at a time, you can do it.

ATR