12 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 5:05 PM by A.T. Romano

Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?

Jo.hose

New install of Prem El 12 on Acer Veriton, i5-2300 CPU @ 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. Integrated Intel HD graphics, 1.74 GB, 1920x1080x60Hz. Windows 7 Pro. I am editing full HD AVCHD files from camcorder. Even after rendering the project I find playing the project in editor is often jerky until it has been run a few times. Also a published AVCHD file of the whole project does not run absolutely smoothly in Wind Media Player or VLC.

What kind of graphics card, if any, would give me much improved response?

• 1. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo.hose

You should do fine with the graphic card that you have and Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I would look for answers in the project preset, the properties of your source media, export choices and settings, and computer resources utilization. For one, have you considered increasing your installed RAM to at least 8 GB?

Please supply detailed information for those areas so that we might evaluate your issue in terms of those details. I do not know your background with regard to use of Premiere Elements, so I ask you not to hesitate to ask how to obtain the requested information. We will help you gather the information if need be.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
            Jo.hose Level 1

Thanks for you reply.

Project settings - General: PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25fps

Project settings - Video render: optimize stills

Source files - AVCHD 1080 x 1920 50fps

File/Export is greyed out so I can't see export settings.

232 GB free space on HDD.

I will look into increasing RAM.

Anything else?

Thanks, Jo

• 3. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
              VDOSurfer Level 3

I am trying to understand what you mean when you say "published AVCHD file of the whole project does not run absolutely smoothly in Wind Media Player or VLC". Does your processor max out? or does your memory used reach ~4GB? (Check for the usage for VLC/WMP when you play the clip back in the Task Manager - Ctrl+Shift+Esc). If it is neither the processor or memory, we should suspect the file I/O (The hard disk speed, type etc.). Oh! and hope you are not exporting to talking about AVCHD DVD discs and playing back from there. That will have a slow response because of the DVD speeds on a laptop.

The machine you have is a second generation i5 - It is good enough not just to play back AVCHD file, but with the RAM you have also for editing AVCHD. More RAM will help, but I don't expect the current configuration is going to be a bottle neck. Folks have used much lesser than this and have not had any major complaints. I had a 4GB dual core machine running Windows 7 64-bit, 2 years back, and had no problems editing AVCHD files with PrE10.

To answer your title question if a discrete graphics will help editing, the answer is No. Premiere Elements thankfully does not use the Graphics for processing.

• 4. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo.hose

Thank you for the reply with details.

This is what I would like to try, and then let us know if it has any influence on the quality of your results.

Open Premiere Elements 12 to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

(Premiere Elements later than version 7 do not have File Menu/Export/Movie - now just File Menu/Export/Title for saving titles created in the Titler as prtl files for future use in projects.)

In Change Settings, set the project preset to

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

and make sure to place a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" in the new project dialog before you exit that area.

Now back in the Expert workspace, import your 1080p50 file into the project with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

What does that look like and sound like at playback of your video in the Edit area monitor? Is there no colored line above its Timeline content or an orange line?

Move forward to export

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25

and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab for the preset, customize the export settings so that you have 1080p50 instead of 1080p25.

WednesdayRedone.JPG

This will give you a AVCHD.mp4 files (1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second). Please let us know how it plays back in your player (and let us know which player you are using for the playback for the AVCHD.mp4).

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                  Jo.hose Level 1

ATR

Curiously, the system now seems to working very well without my having made

any changes! (except removing and reseating one of the two 2GB SIMMS to see

what kind it was - don't think this is relevant). I have been adding clips

to my project all day without major problems.

I perhaps didn't explain in my original description of the problem that the

poor response (jerkiness and the monitor window not keeping up with the

timeline position) did not show up as soon as a clip was added to the

timeline but it developed as more clips, and especially transitions, were

added, even after rendering. There must have been some other process

consuming my computer resources - perhaps my daily automatic backup to

external HDD or security software or something (???). Anyhow it seems to be

going fine now and I have generated an AVCHD.mp4 file of the 12 minute

project and it displays perfectly in WMP.

Perhaps you can help me with a couple of points:

1. What do the thin coloured bands - green or orange - above the tracks

window signify?

2. Is there a function to alter the gain envelope of an audio track - ie in

the middle of the track, not just the fade in/out function?

Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo.hose

Thanks for that great follow up with the news of your Premiere Elements successes.

Regarding

1. What do the thin coloured bands - green or orange - above the tracks

window signify?

Those lines above the Timeline contents are part of an indicator system in which the program alerts you as to whether or not you are looking at the best possible preview of that content in the Edit area monitor. A no colored line or green line situation tells you that you are looking at the best possible preview; whereas, and orange line tells you that you are not looking at the best possible preview, and, if you want one, you need to "render the Timeline" content. This is not render as in export. It is render is in terms of previewing quality. You do not need to do this Timeline rendering in order to more forward in the project, but

• it is your window of opportunity to catch a program sooner than later
                    • it is particularly useful when working with titles, transitions, effects, and non native formats.

More about all this if needed. Just know that each time you Timeline render, preview files are automatically generated and stored on the hard drive. Watch out for pile up of those preview files (See LIbraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and, in the 12.0 Folder, the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. )

Regarding

2. Is there a function to alter the gain envelope of an audio track - ie in

the middle of the track, not just the fade in/out function?

I am not sure of your question. But, in version 12,  if you want to vary the properties of Volume across the duration of an audio track, then

adjust Tab/Adjustment Palette/Volume Panel expanded where keyframing opportunities for the Volume:Clip Volume and Volume.Bypass properties are available. Can also do the Volume keyframing at the audio clip rubberband level.

Gain.JPG

AudioGain is also available under Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/AudioGain Panel, but this is not available for keyframing as is Volume property.

For Audio Gain adjustment (normalizing), please see right clicking of the Timeline audio clip and selecting AudioGain. If you wanted to vary the AudioGain in the middle of the audio clip, I would imagine that you could make cuts in the audio to generate a segment there, and then apply the AudioGain adjust to just that one selected cut segment.

Please review and consider and then let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                      Jo.hose Level 1

Dear ATR

Thanks for clearing up the grey/green/orange line for me. I have an audio

editing program (audacity) I can use for tricky sound requirements.

The next is off the original topic but perhaps you could help advise me....

I can't find any way of importing an already created project into a new,

bigger project. The Add Media function does not allow the importation of

projects. What I am wanting to do is to work on 'chapters ' as separate

projects and then put them together to form one big project. Can this be

done?

Thanks for your help,

Jo Evans

• 8. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo Evans

find any way of importing an already created project into a new,

bigger project. The Add Media function does not allow the importation of

projects. What I am wanting to do is to work on 'chapters ' as separate

projects and then put them together to form one big project. Can this be

done?

Yes. two possibilities.

a. In the individual projects, export the Timeline content to a file whose properties are consistent with the project settings of the grand project. And, then import all those exports into a new grand project which has been set with the appropriate project preset.

By example....if you had 1080p Timeline, for each project, then export as Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25. And, when ready, import all these mp4 files into the grand project which has been set for a project preset of PAL - DSLR -  1080p - DSLR 1080p25.

Instructions for setting the project preset manually (if necessary) can be found in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

If you had an SD project, you could export the individual projects to PAL DV Standard or Widescreen depending whether your footage was DV Standard or DV Widescreen.

b. There is a copy/paste insert technique which involves using ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements for the task of copying/paste insert between Premiere Elemens project.prel files. For version 12, the only glitch that I have found is that the transitions do not come along with the copy/paste insert. Everything else appears to be OK. If interested, please see details in the following.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

Please let us know if we have targeted your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                          Jo.hose Level 1

Dear ATR

I may want to export just a portion of a project and I found a reference

describing a method to do this by adjusting the WAB and chosing File/Export

(it took much searching to eventually find out what the WAB was and how to

adjust it). It sounds like a nice way of doing it but the Export function

is always greyed out.

Is ClipMate freeware?

• 10. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jo.hose

Are you OK with the details for the selective export of the TImeline content?

You do not use File Menu/Export for this. File Menu/Export/Movie has not been in Premiere Elements since version 7. The Premiere Elements 12 exports are from Publish+Share/ . I will give you details (settings and such), but I need for you to remind me what export you want.

How to, selective export of Timeline in Publish+Share/Computer/....

In the Expert workspace

1. gray tabs of the WorkAreaBar set to span just the duration of the part of the Timeline that you want to export...to set the left gray tab, move the Timeline Indicator to the beginning of the segment...then, as you hold down the Alt key, hit the left bracket key [....to set the right gray tab, move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment...then, as you hold down the Alt key, hit the right bracket key ]

2. this is not going to work unless you also have a check mark next to the "Share WorkArea Bar Only" option in the export dialog for the export choice that you make....not all have this option, most do.

ClipMate tryout is available. It is Windows Only program and needs to be purchased after the tryout if you decide that it meets your project goals.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                              Jo.hose Level 1

Yes, thanks. That makes it clear. But why have the File/Export item in the

menu if it is not functional?

• 12. Re: Will a discrete graphics card improve editing response?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jo.hose

In Premiere Elements 12, there remains File Menu/Export/Title only.

So, after you create a title in the program's Titler, select the title in Project Assets, go to File Menu/Export/Title and save your title as a .prtl file.

The title.prtl file can be used in other Premiere Elements projects (that is, imported as media via Add Media/Files and Folders).

But, remember to highlight the title file in Project Assets beforehand so that Title will be active when you go File Menu/Export/Title.

ATR