9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 8:08 AM by boo radley 2013

Need help - or plugin for brush size = eraser size!

gergo.horvath

Hi!

I own a Wacom tablet for a couple of years but I never really used the ereaser on my pen. The reason is simple, it is too hard to adjust the eraser size compared as a hotkey for the eraser and use the normal tip.

But as you might know the number of hotkeys on a tablet like this isn't enough for everything, so to save up hotkey to use it for other things I'm looking for a solution to make the brush size and style for the ereaser exactly the same every time! Of course if I change the brush size or style these changes should affect the ereaser too and vica-versa!

The same style isn't a must, but the same size is!

Can someone help me? Even a plugin can work for me!

Regards,

G

P.s.: I know there is the Alt + Right click solution, but the Right click button on a pen like this in the eraser position is too far!

Also I'm using PS CC

• 2. Re: Need help - or plugin for brush size = eraser size!
          boo radley 2013 Level 3

you need to create your eraser brush with the size and style you want, then save it as a tool preset.

• 3. Re: Need help - or plugin for brush size = eraser size!
            gergo.horvath Level 1

In what case will it be any different from the normal eraser? It doesn't solve my problem, because the eraser will not be the same if I adjust the brush.

• 4. Re: Need help - or plugin for brush size = eraser size!
              Level 1

I don't see how that could work in a program like SU. . .(of course, there's a lot I don't see. . .but erasing vectored geometry in SU is not like erasing 2D pixels on a screen a la photoshop. 

Maybe it could work.

• 6. Re: Need help - or plugin for brush size = eraser size!
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

The thing you should notice about the Wacom Tablet pen use with Photoshop is when the pen is in contact with the tablet you can not change the size and tilt of the current brush type tool. Using the short cut keys "[" and "]" via the  keyboard or set to a tablet function. You must hover the pen over the tablet and use the keys or tablet function set to change brush size.  There is also a way using  the alt key hold down and right click and drag again the pen need to be in proximity of the tablet surface but not in contact. If its pen tip that is in proximity  brush size will change if its the eraser end that is in proximity the eraser size will change,

• 7. Re: Need help - or plugin for brush size = eraser size!
                  boo radley 2013 Level 3

I think he wants the eraser size and style (chalk, soft eraser, hard eraser, etc) to match the brush size and style every time. So for example if he's using a hard brush at 10px, then when he switches to the eraser he also wants it to automatically switch to hard eraser, 10px so it matches. Then, if he switches over to a pastel brush at 20px, he needs the eraser to also switch over to a pastel eraser at 20px.

I don't know if this can be done. A toggle script might work, but that would be getting very complex.

Using tool presets is the only way I can think of right now, and that would get complicated because that would amount to a lot of tool presets and he would still have to select the right preset whenever switching over to the brush or eraser, it wouldn't auotmatically switch for him.

• 9. Re: Re: Need help - or plugin for brush size = eraser size!
                    boo radley 2013 Level 3

I think technically, it could be done

The following script from the user csuebele is a toggle-tool script, meaning that you would be able to select one saved tool preset (a chalk brush at 10px for example), and then when you run the script, it will select a different tool preset (a chalk eraser at 10px)... but you would first need to create those 2 tool presets, save them, then insert them into this script, and then run the script each time instead of switching from brush to eraser. Each time you run the script, it would toggle back and forth between brush/eraser, with your saved style/size for each. Not positive this will work though, this script might only work for the same tool (from one style/size of brush to another) and not be able to switch tools (from brush to eraser for example).. you might want to ask him about this script... it needs editing to fit your needs

/*
                        <javascriptresource>
                          <name>toggleShowTransformControls...</name>
                          <category>BCM</category>
                        </javascriptresource>
                        */

function getCurrentTool(){
                           var ref = new ActionReference();
                               ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "capp" ), charIDToTypeID( "Ordn" ), charIDToTypeID( "Trgt" ) );
                            var desc1 = executeActionGet(ref);
                           desc1 = desc1.getList(stringIDToTypeID("tool"));
                             desc1 = desc1.getEnumerationType(0);
                             desc1 = typeIDToStringID(desc1);
                             return desc1;
                        }
                        function isShowTransformOn(){
                           var ref = new ActionReference();
                               ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "capp" ), charIDToTypeID( "Ordn" ), charIDToTypeID( "Trgt" ) );
                            var desc1 = executeActionGet(ref);
                                desc1 = desc1.getList(stringIDToTypeID("currentToolOptions"));
                                desc1 = desc1.getObjectValue(0).getBoolean(charIDToTypeID("Abbx"));
                             return desc1;
                        }
                        function setShowTransform(){
                           if(getCurrentTool() == "moveTool"){
                              if(isShowTransformOn() == true){
                                 setToolPreset("Move Tool 1");
                              }else{
                                 setToolPreset("Move Tool 2");
                              }
                           }
                        }

function setToolPreset(name){
                               var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
                                   var ref1 = new ActionReference();
                                   ref1.putName( stringIDToTypeID( "toolPreset" ), name );
                               desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref1 );
                           executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "slct" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
                        }

setShowTransform();