6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 8:47 AM by Rick Gerard

How can I simulate a wink on a still image?

cc_merchant Level 4

I have this still image:

Brown_Hare444.png

I would like to create a clip, where the hare winks with his eye, closes it for a moment and then reopens his eye. Are there any examples, tutorials or suggestions how to approach this?

• 1. Re: How can I simulate a wink on a still image?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not in Photoshop - that is unless you care to paint every frame of the animation individually. Such stuff is usually done in compositing programs like After Effects by animating a few parameters on distortion effects or creating elaborate image morphs.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How can I simulate a wink on a still image?

Ooops... Dang forum hopping... Since we already are in the AE forum let's see... You could create it using Liquify or Reshape. in the latter case you'd draw a couple of masks and pull the eyelids quite literally together. Still, you may need extra work in Photoshop or elsewhere to prepare some patches you can overlay and animate their opacity. Extreme distortions tend to look whacky otherwise...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How can I simulate a wink on a still image?
              cc_merchant Level 4
              Not in Photoshop - that is unless you care to paint every frame of the animation individually. Such stuff is usually done in compositing programs like After Effects by animating a few parameters on distortion effects or creating elaborate image morphs.

That is the reason I asked it here in the AE forum, because I expected as much. Any hints on the distortion effects you mention?

• 4. Re: How can I simulate a wink on a still image?

Liquify works pretty much the same as in PS, just with animation. If you have specific issues, you should ask when you cross that bridge. The same is true for the Puppet tools. For Reshape one would draw a source mask (eye open) and a target mask (eye closed) and assign them in the effects Interface, then animate the strength of the reshape. In addition you may need to duplicate your footage and use it in a pre-comp to isolate the relevant parts of the eye. This will help to avoid smudging up the fur. anyway, I'm sure there's some tutorial out there, i just can't point to a specific source. It would be best you just start exploring and then come back with additional questions.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: How can I simulate a wink on a still image?
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Thanks Mylenium,

I have managed it using the Liquify effect and since winking is only a few frames in duration, I'm not going to spend more time on it.

This is the image of the closed eye, it may not be perfect, but with a duration of only 6 frames, who will notice?

Brown Hare Wink.png

Thanks again for your help.