5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 10:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Application hang help

trijacks

Note: I tried posting this in the PSE forum but after 26 people looked at it no one has written any kind of response or helped me. Possibly one of the folks here in this forum will have an answer for me. Thanks and sorry for wrecking your day if you don't like that I've posted this question here in this forum.

Greetings, I have been having problems with my PSE 11 crashing when I try to open an image. I have tried several images even ones that I've worked on in the past. I've looked in the MS Event Viewer and it says: "Application hang". So, any thoughts on how I can fix this?

I thank you in advance for any help that you can provide me. ~Susan

• 1. Re: Application hang help
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You have not provided any proper system information or the full crash report in either of your threads, so you needn't wonder why nobody can help you. Sorry, but that's just the way it is and since you obviously know how to find the Event Viewer it should be easy enough for you to provide the required data.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Application hang help
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Below is the information people are asked to provide when they ask a question with little or now information... for Premiere Elements

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 3. Re: Application hang help
              A.T. Romano Level 7

trijacks

You want to resolve your Photoshop Elements 11 crashing when you open a photo. I understand that. But, success in this is going to come from posting your Photoshop Elements 11 question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements (photo editing) Forum where people who use the program can advise you accordingly. These are user to user forums. This in no instant response.  Your answers are going to come from details (lots of them) regarding your issue and from Photoshop Elements users. You do not want Premiere Elements questions asked of you when you do not have Premiere Elements. I would advise you to return to the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum and ask again with details.

All that being said

What computer operating system is your Photoshop Elements 11 running on...for now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

a. Where is the program crashing...Photoshop Elements 11 Full Editor or Elements Organizer 11?

b. What type of still images are you trying to open in the Editor, jpeg, tif, psd, png, and even raw image format in Camera Raw? What are the pixel dimensions of the still images?

c. Have you started by going through the classical drill of deleting the Editor and/or Elements Organizer settings files?

For Full Editor.

Local Disk C

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Photoshop Elements

Editor

and in the Editor Folder is the Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 Prefs.psp file that you delete.

(There is a shortcut for this, but I am giving the long way around. You could also look at Full Editor/Edit Menu/Preferences/General and "Reset Preferences on next launch".)

For Elements Organizer

Local Disk C

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

In either case, make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete paths cited.

In the Full Editor, if you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Performance, check out the Scratch Disks set up as well as what values are in the fields for

Available RAM

Ideal Range

Let Photoshop Elements Use _______(%).

How much free computer hard drive space does your computer have and where are your photos stored - external hard drive or Local Disk C?

And, not to be overlooked, any supplemental information from Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application

We will be watching for your progress in the Photoshop Elements Forum if you opt to take that advice.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Application hang help
                trijacks Level 1

AT - thanks for the response. This is the first time I’ve ever posted a question. Until I got sarcastic I didn’t know that I was NOT following the rules of asking questions.

All someone needed to do was respond to me some way. Now I’m getting some pretty rude responses. So, again thanks for the kind reply.

After reading your email I reset the preferences and then rebooted the program and that seems to have fixed the problem I was having. Of all the suggestions that was the easiest to try.

I’ve been a Photoshop CS and Elements user for a number of years I’ve never had this problem before. I’ve edited thousands of images and printed them without any problems at all.

My system info is: 

Windows 7 Home Premium

SP1

Intel® Core ™2 CPU 4300 1.80 GHz 1.79 GHz

RAM 2.0 GB

32-bit OS

711 GB used with 931 GB free

Opened the PS Elements 11.

checked and I have the latest update

I opened an image in expert mode that I had worked on three days before. I resized it to 8x10 as I always have and resaved it with a new name.  The image is 20.7M, 300dpi, 8x10 in.

Then I tried to print the image and that’s when the program would let me do the paper setup and when I said print the little wheel would start working, and working, eventually the program would grey out and the box would say “This program has stopped working” 

Other than that there wasn’t any other error message. I read about the System Information error log after checking on Google for answers before I went to the forum.

Thanks for helping me. ~Susan

• 5. Re: Application hang help
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Susan

Great news. Great job.

I was glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Never hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification on anything written.

I am very pleased with your progress.

Best wishes.

ATR