5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 12:17 AM by MikeCL

Active comp highlight in the Flowchart

MikeCL Level 1

Hi all,

Did a search on the question but didn't find any.

I've started using the Flowchart a lot in After effects. Imagine you having it only displaying connected comps/precomps.. and you have a few. is it possible to have it highlighting the comp in the flowchart that are currently active? This would be useful when sometimes entering other peoples comp that have tons of precomps in it and multiple comps named the same. It becomes hard to navigate around and you easily become lost.

Is this a feature After effects have already?

And btw, I'm using After effects CC.

/M

• 1. Re: Active comp highlight in the Flowchart
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nope. The flowchart is dumb, deaf and blind. It has been neglected for about as long at is has existed and not received any love. It's high on everyone's list, but it basically needs to be rewritten from scratch to fit into the modernized AE, so changes in that department are not coming any time soon most likely...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Active comp highlight in the Flowchart
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure what you mean by 'highlighting comps that are currently active.' Do you mean highlighting nested comps when they contain image data that is under the current position of the CTI?

A flow chart is tied to a composition. If you double click on a nested comp it opens that comp in the time line and comp window. If you double click on a layer in the flow chart it will open that comp and select the layer. If the layer is footage and you double click on the end of the footage chain it will open the footage window. If you select a layer in a comp that layer is highlighted in the Flow Chart. I'm not sure what you want here.

• 3. Re: Active comp highlight in the Flowchart
              MikeCL Level 1

That's really sad! Just when I found a way to work with bigger comps for VFX work, the one thing that would keep me sane in the sea of layers and nested pre comps!.

• 4. Re: Active comp highlight in the Flowchart
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not sure what the problem is. I use the flowchart everyday on comps with sometimes, 100 or more pre-comps. Double-click an item in the flowchart and it immediately reveals the layer in the timeline. Works for me. What are you trying to do that you cannot Do?

• 5. Re: Active comp highlight in the Flowchart
                  MikeCL Level 1

Yes.. but what about the other way around? When you work between lots of nested precomps they stack up right above the timeline.. and what happens when you are in the flow and instead of clicking the precomp in the flowchart you find it in the stack above the timeline... as soon as you click that your selection from the flowchart disappears and so when you want to re orient yourself in the flowchart you need to start searching exactly where you are again. That's why I think it would be really good if you could visually highlight the current comp in the timeline in the flowchart. perhaps with a bright outline or just something.