19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 9:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12

Halbritton

Importing a 964.1 meg mp4 file from DVD using Premiere Elements 12 on a Macbook Air running OS X 10.9.2.  Doesn't appear to import, though a blank thumbnail appears in organizer.  When I attempt to open the file, I get a missing codec error message.  Help?

• 1. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MP4 is a wrapper... what is inside YOUR wrapper?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
            Halbritton Level 1

Thank you.  I'll do some more homework and get back to you.

• 3. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Halbritton

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Mac computer with Premiere Elements 12?

If you have any problems downloading and installing any of the video properties readout programs, we might get the information that we need if you tell us the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video.

We are looking for
              Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

File Extension (already given as mp4)

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                Halbritton Level 1

I do have the latest version of QT installed.  As for the file, I installed Mediainfo and ran it; however, all it said was that the file was 912mb.  No further information of any kind.  The file is a conversion of a VHS tape done for me by a local duplication house.  On the "master" disc, there are VOB files, etc.  On the "data" disc, there is an mp4 file.  Do I need to ask questions of the duplication place?  If so, what do I need to ask?  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Halbritton

When you did the MediaInfo readout, did you look at the Tree View. If not, please see MediaInfo View Menu/Tree View and let us know if more file properties were then available.

If you can get the properties of the .mp4 file that was placed on a DVD disc as a file (data), that would be important. What you want to know is

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

File Extension (already given as mp4)

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

or as much as the duplication place will tell.

Alternatively, could you post a sample of the .mp4 via a Dropbox link in your thread? Hopefully it will not come to that, especially if you get the Tree View of MediaInfo to yield the information that we need.

But, let me back up for a moment...forget about the Elements Organizer for the moment...if you import the .mp4 into a new Premiere Elements 12 Mac project via the program's Add Media/Files and Folder - mp4 from hard drive save location - does the .mp4 import to give a thumbnail with image in Project Assets? And if that thumbnail is dragged from Project Assets to the Timeline, do you see the file's video component in Video Track 1 and audio component in Audio Track 1?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                    Halbritton Level 1

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47348802/635348989367372598.mp4is a link to the file itself.

I did use the tree view in mediainfo, and all it told me was the name of the file and its size.

When I attempt to open the file in Premiere, I do not get a thumbnail -- only a message that the file type is not supported or there is a missing codec.

Here's the information I got from the duplication service:

Video compression 16 bit 48khz

Audio compression  191k/s

Frame Size  640x480

Frame Rate 29.97 fps

File Extension mp4

Interlaced or Progressive  Interlaced

Pixel Aspect Ratio Unknown

Conversion was performed using Pinnacle Studio 17.

• 7. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12

>file is a conversion of a VHS tape done for me by a local duplication house

>Conversion was performed using Pinnacle Studio 17

VHS to digital requires hardware of some kind... ask the duplication house if they used hardware that REQUIRES a special Pinnacle codec

I used to use a Pinnacle DV500 card, and an early version of the Pinnacle software created AVI files that would not edit on a computer that did not have Pinnacle installed due to the custom codec Pinnacle was using... later changed, but earlier files would still not edit if the computer did not have the early Pinnacle software installed

• 8. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                        Halbritton Level 1

I think this may be the right path.  The file opens in Windows media player and Movie Maker on my PC, but not any of the programs on my mac.  I don't have Premiere Elements on my PC.  Do you know if the codecs included for the mac and pc versions of Premiere are different?

• 9. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12

Sorry, Windows only so no Mac knowledge

• 10. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Halbritton

Are you able to download from here that .mp4 sample that you offered via a Dropbox link in your thread?

I am getting a video corrupted message and no opportunity to download even the corrupted file.

Please try to get as much video properties and other information about the .mp4 that they gave you on that data disc. Considerations about Pinnacle Studio 17 and a possible .avi are not applicable since you say specifically that your problems are with a .mp4 video file.

If that fails, then we should look at what you have on that other disc DVD-VIDEO format with its VIDEO_TS Folder OR the .vob files already extracted from the VIDEO_TS Folder and on the DVD disc as VOB files. Either way, we might want to convert those VOBs to H.264.mp4 and import them into your Premiere Elements Mac.

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

QuickTime would be supplying the typical codecs for Windows and Mac.

ATR

• 11. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12

>Considerations about Pinnacle Studio 17 and a possible .avi are not applicable

I mentioned AVI as an EXAMPLE of a problem with a different Pinnacle product, I never said his problem was with AVI, only the IDEA that a custom Pinnacle codec might be involved

Which he seemed to understand, based on his reply number 8

• 12. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Thanks for the clarification.

It will be interesting to see how this all evolves. I have run into custom/proprietary  codec concept in cameras and also in recorders such as Fraps, but I do not recall an instance of this in a video editor - and especially on the route from MPEG2 video compression of the .VOB file to the whatever compression was used in this .mp4 file.

ATR

• 13. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12

I no longer use that Pinnacle DV500 to digitize tapes (no more tape camera) but the early version(s) of the Pinnacle software created files that would not open and, if I remember correctly from that old computer, they would not even PLAY in any software unless the Pinnacle software was installed on the computer... and the Pinnacle software would not install if the DV500 card was not present

• 14. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                                    Level 1

It’s not a fresh problem anyhow. A thread that also focus on the solution to MP4 to Premiere Elements issues: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1548912

• 15. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

chriting1988

It’s not a fresh problem anyhow

I would suggest that problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. And the each case should be evaluated

using the details specific to the source media and the computer environment. And, your computer environment focus appears to be Mac based

on the content of your posted links.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user who has never worked with Premiere Elements Mac.

Although I realize that some of the features of Premiere Elements Windows and Mac are different, the two programs

have much in common. And, I realize the preference of Mac for files that use the .mp4 or .mov container with the equal

importance of the video compression and audio compression.

H.264.mp4 file has been and should be compatible with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Windows and Mac. But, we need to define

if we are talking about compatibility in the Elements Organizer 12 versus Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Editor. In this thread, the target appears to be primarily

in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Mac Editor.

In this case, we do not yet know the video and audio compression that goes with the .mp4 container.

Uncertain significance at this time is that the file sent as a sample via a Dropbox link cannot be

downloaded because "the file is corrupt". And, I am not clear on what the following is all about.

Importing a 964.1 meg mp4 file

Before factoring in file conversion, I would like to know more about the file. But, this is an old thread which has not been written to by its originator since

May 2014. I do not feel that we have enough information to build a case for "not a fresh problem" and can't import .mp4 into Premiere Elements Mac.

ATR

• 16. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                                        sophializhu Level 1

Well, thanks, Premiere Element always ingest MPEG-2 perfectly, transocoding MP4 files to MPEG-2 is an easy way to edit MP4 videos in Premiere Elements. Good share!

• 17. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sophializhu

There is probably no easier way to edit mp4 files in Premiere Elements Editor than just to import the mp4 file into a project with the appropriate project preset.

Generalizations and without the specifics of a problem can generate unnecessary remedies. And, there is a difference in approaching this type of problem depending

on whether you are talking about import into the Elements Organizer or its Premiere Elements Editor. Each version of Elements Organizer has its unique problem set

with regard to video and audio codecs and file extensions.(wrapper format).

Not so long ago, there was a flood of posts into older threads like this one about "VOB to MPEG2" as it was written by the posters. In those threads, there seem to be confusion on the difference between a video codec and a file extension (wrapper/container format). Here you talk about MP4 files (presumed file extension) and MPEG 2 which is video compression type.

Are you part of that group? If so, please review the above information.

ATR

• 18. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                                            chucktheweevil

Amazing you all require all this information, when  any other video reader program just plays.an MP4 ... and i don't have to give them the details

Keep grinding the axe adobe.

• 19. Re: Trouble importing mp4 file to Premiere Elements 12
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

chucktheweevil

This is not Adobe. Rather essentially user to user forum.

.mp4 is a container format, and no one can troubleshoot using just a file's file extension. The answers are in the details if you want to resolve a video editing issue. There is no magic button "fix all". And, Premiere Elements is not a "reader" program. It is a video editor with import, editing, and export considerations.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? And, what specific problem are you having using Premiere Elements? The answers are in the details. And, no one is going to resolve a video editing issue (any brand) just knowing the file extension (.mp4) in a vacuum of no other information. We do not have remote control troubleshooting to offer you from here.

If you do not want to be asked troubleshooting questions here, you can contact online Adobe Chat to determine if it will offer you support for your Premiere Elements issues.

If you have Premiere Elements questions and offer Premiere Elements problem workflow details, we will welcome the opportunity to be of assistance. If you are a Premiere Pro user, please post your threads in the Premiere Pro forum to take advantage of the specialized expertise there.

ATR