9 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 12:28 PM by DavePinMinn

How Reset Workflow options in ACR?

DavePinMinn Level 1

I looked up workflow, but didn't find any discussions, and I can find items online that tell me how to SET workflow, but so far, I can't find anything that tells me how to RESET workflow.......

I don't want it to do ANYTHING.  I don't want it to set Adobe RGB or bit depth, or resize or ANYTHING.  I want it to leave whatever I open exactly the way it came in.  When I press "Open Image",

I want it to go to Photoshop exactly the way it came in to ACR...  Currently, if I open a jpg that was exported in sRGB, when it gets to Photoshop, it's 16 bit and Adobe RGB because that's what the

workflow says.....

So, how do I make workflow completely go away and not screw with anything in my image?

• 1. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You change those workflow options by clicking here in Camera Raw:

Capture.JPG

But you cannot change the workflow options to open the image as a JPEG. Instead I think you would have to use the Save option, and then just open that new JPEG saved from Camera Raw directly in Photoshop. Camera Raw is a converter, especially for raw files. And I think the workflow assumption is that the conversion would be preferred to be TIF or PSD when converting from raw. The JPEG editing capability is just an added bonus.

• 2. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?
            DavePinMinn Level 1

Let me see if I can explain this better.

I don't want it to open as a jpg or anything.  I JUST want to know how to RESET the workflow settings so it doesn't change ANYTHING in whatever I open......

Here's an example...  At some point, for some reason, I open a raw file in ACR, and go into the workflow and set the color space to sRGB, the bit depth to 8 bits

and the resize to 200%.  When I hit "Open Image", my raw file will now open in photoshop as an sRGB, 8-bit file that's been resized to 200%.  Fine, since for

no good reason that's what I told ACR to do.

Close Everything........  months later, I open another RAW file in ACR and it gets stuck with THOSE SAME SETTINGS because they automatically become the

default.  I don't WANT to use those settings, so HOW do I reset the workflow so it doesn't set ANYTHING?

OR, I open a raw file in ACR, and set the color space to Prophoto and the bit depth to 16 bits.  Fine...  But, next I need to make a MINOR modification to a jpeg I've

created from PS (or Lightroom or right from the camera).  Its in Bridge so I open it.  It goes into ACR.  And gets set to Prophoto and 16 bits and whatever other thing

I previously set in workflow.  I don't know or care what the original color space of the jpeg was, and I don't WANT to know or care.  I just want to open it in PS exactly as it

is WITHOUT workflow making any changes.......

In reality, this isn't a big problem on a daily basis for me, although it is annoying.  But, I got a phone call from a semi-panicked photographer who couldn't understand WHY

her 16x20 kept showing up as a 12x16 when she reopened it in PS.  What was happening was that she cropped and resized in Photoshop with a resolution of 240 ppi.  Then

saved the jpeg.  Which came up as a 16x20.  EXCEPT, when she reopened it, it opened in ACR, where she had SOMETIME set the resolution to 300 ppi.  The pixel count

was exactly the same, but when she did the "open image", in Photoshop it was now 12 x 16 @ 300 ppi instead of 16x20 @240.

So, HOW do I reset the workflow so whatever settings had been put in, get cleared and it doesn't change ANYTHING?

• 3. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?

I apologize for giving you the wrong information. Maybe the problem is that I'm using older versions of Camera Raw. If I change the workflow options they seem to hold by following the procedure I outlined. So I don't have an answer for you.

• 4. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?
                DavePinMinn Level 1

No problem.  I don't recall the older versions getting stuck in a new default every time you change something.......

It's not a big deal except when I forget I've done something in the past and it screws up one or more images going into

Photoshop and I don't notice the changes.....  Which is why I'm hoping someone can tell me how to reset it. 

• 5. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Close Everything........  months later, I open another RAW file in ACR and it gets stuck with THOSE SAME SETTINGS because they automatically become the default.  I don't WANT to use those settings, so HOW do I reset the workflow so it doesn't set ANYTHING?

You can't. There is no "reset" to the workflow options...they are always sticky to the last settings used. So, you'll need to look at what the settings currently are. If they are not what you want, you'll have to change them.

Also not that in terms of opening JPEGs or TIFFs in ACR, the current color space of the image is ignored when brought into ACR. The output settings always have to be set in the workflow options. There is no other way to open images into ACR.

• 6. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?
                    DavePinMinn Level 1

Thanks for the information Jeff..........

Unfortunately, I did a test a earlier, and found that if I opened a jpeg, then opened a RAW, the RAW was screwed 'cause it got stuck with the settings from the jpeg........

Which may be how it works, and I presume was someone's idea of really neat - to have it default to whatever settings the last image was, but it definitely wouldn't be my choice for how the gateway to Photoshop should work......  But, it is what it is.

• 7. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?

I must have misread your dilemma in the first place. I thought your complaint was that the settings [wouldn't] stick. Camera Raw isn't going to save different settings for different file types. The settings stay the way they are set. That's the way it works. That's the way it has always worked. You have to pay attention to what you need.

• 8. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

DavePinMinn wrote:

Which may be how it works, and I presume was someone's idea of really neat - to have it default to whatever settings the last image was, but it definitely wouldn't be my choice for how the gateway to Photoshop should work......  But, it is what it is.

It is what it is...and that's how it works. Personally, I have no problem with the "way it is" but would have a real problem if the basic behavior was changed. ACR has no knowledge of your intentions (nor desires). The primary goal is to behave in a constant manny that users can rely upon. The "sticky" behavior is, in my opinion, the best possible approach to the problem of how to process an image.

But, it's not like the current output settings are hidden from you...the workflow options are there and telling you what will happen (as long as you know to look). It's really up to you to do the right thing...

So, I really don't have a lot of sympathy when users don't understand the "intended behavior" because, the sticky behavior was a conscience choice, none of this stuff is there by accident.

The sticky setting make perfect sense...if you think about it. You are ultimately responsible for doing the "right thing"...

• 9. Re: How Reset Workflow options in ACR?
                          DavePinMinn Level 1

Well, Jeff, I guess we'll disagree. At this point, it's not worth worrying about.