2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 9:01 AM by BrianFewell

Can I have both facing and non-facing pages in a document?

BrianFewell

I am trying to assemble a booklet with 11x17 spreads - some of these will be two facing 8.5x11 pages, but others will be a single 11x17 image, and would be better to treat them as a one page spread. We will be producing a hardcopy and an electronic version. The hastily sketched image below shows what I'm looking for. In the PDF version, the pages would be oriented as shown. In the booklet, the large images would be rotated to fit into the 8.5x11 booklet and viewed centerfold style.

Is this a thing I can accomplish in one InDesign document, or will I need to produce separate versions for the digital & print editions?

Thanks!!

2403_001.png

• 1. Re: Can I have both facing and non-facing pages in a document?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

For the print version I would set up as an ordinary 8.5 x 11 facing pages file, and rotate the spread view for the pages that you need to see as 11 x 17 verticals, but you're going to need a second PDF for  the electronic version if you want to export spreads. I'd give exporting as PDF (Interactive) a try -- spreads is the default, and rotate the occasional page in Acrobat before distribution. That will give you spreads for everything, though, so if you want to have individual 8.5 x 11 pages, you'll need to export multiple PDFs, specifying ranges, with spreads selected or deselected, then combine them all into a single PDF in Acrobat for distribution.

• 2. Re: Can I have both facing and non-facing pages in a document?
            BrianFewell Level 1

Thanks Peter, that basically answers the question. I'd like to avoid producing two documents, because I don't like having to maintain two copies of the same thing, but if that is what we need to do then that's how we'll do it.