1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2014 6:51 PM by Mike M

flash player for pre-Intel Power Mac  G5

4travis805

I have been informed on a u-tube site that there is NO VERSION FOR PRE-INTEL POWER MAC'S!  I HAVE A G-5.  Neither Adobe or Apple cares about us

hundred of thousands who don't want to spend $1200 for a new desktop Mac. I downloaded 11.1  and it sometimes will work but Safari crashes on a regular

basis. 

• 1. Re: flash player for pre-Intel Power Mac  G5
          Mike M Level 6

4travis805 wrote:

...Neither Adobe or Apple cares about us hundred of thousands who don't want to spend $1200 for a new desktop Mac. 

Don't know what planet you've been living on for the last ten years, but Apple sold their last PowerPC computer in October 2005. It's NOT like this just snuck up on you. They continued to support PowerPC computers, OS's and software for a few more years (it ended in October 2009) to give people PLENTY of time to make the transition to the ONLY supported hardware they make anymore. Adobe continued to update PowerPC Flash until September 2010, but even that had to end.

I downloaded 11.1  and it sometimes will work but Safari crashes on a regular basis. 

10.3.183.90 (Flash Player 10.3.183.90) was and is, the latest version that will work with a PowerPC Mac. That isn't going to change.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVED my G5 iMac when I had it. I LOVED my G3 iMac when I had it. But their time has come and gone. Like the 8 track tape or vinyl phonograph records, they're obsolete. It ISN'T just Adobe and Apple that's given up on PowerPC Macs. Microsoft no longer supports Office for PPC. SmithMicro (formerly AlladinSys) no longer makes Stuffit for PPC Macs. Numerous gaming companies have gone out of business because they refused to make Intel versions of their software, hoping that Apple would do a 180º, but it never happened - BigFish Games is one. They no longer make about 90% of what they used to for Mac, and most everything they do is online.  There may be hundreds of thousands of PPC Mac users still, but there are hundreds of millions of Intel Mac users, and that number increases by about 10,000 every day. You're on the wrong team to be fighting this battle, because ANY website worth visiting will have code to prevent Flash 10 from running their content.

You don't need to spend $1200 for a new desktop, either. I got my late 2012 Mini for $599 (half of $1200). I used my existing monitor, existing mouse, existing keyboard, and ALL I bought for it was a second monitor (because I could), and a 16GB Ram upgrade. TOTAL COST - $870. Yous probably wouldn't need the second monitor or that much RAM, so you could have about ten times the Mac you presently own, speed-wise and potential-wise... so you could get out for $600 plus tax. But there won't be anymor eupdates for ANYTHING PowerPC... from ANY software developer, and that's just the cold hard truth.