6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2007 9:28 AM by Magicalwonders

Problem creating a graphic for background tile

Magicalwonders
      Hello Folks,

I am attempting to create a graphic that I can use as a background in the header of my website and I'd be grateful for some advice.

What I'm aiming for is a solid colour at the top of the image which fades halfway towards the bottom, and then gets stronger becoming a mirror image past the half way point. The end result will give the illusion (hopefully) when repeated across the screen, of looking at a round bar. Maybe it needs to be the other way around, lighter at top and bottom and graduated darker towards the middle?

I have recently purchased Fireworks 8 and a trial copy of Photoshop CS, but despite buying a book on Fireworks and trawling the net, I've not been able to find any tutorials that describes how to create the above effect. So if anybody can advise where I can track down information to do the task with what I've got, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Myles
        • 1. Re: Problem creating a graphic for background tile
          Level 7
          Myles,

Have you looked through your Styles in FWs?

I have loads that I've collected over the years, so I'm not sure what comes
          with FWs as a standard set, but have a vague recollection of there being a
          couple that will achieve what you're after, and you can of course adjust
          them as you wish.

Peter
          |
          | I am attempting to create a graphic that I can use as a background in the
          | header of my website and I'd be grateful for some advice.
          |
          | What I'm aiming for is a solid colour at the top of the image which fades
          | halfway towards the bottom, and then gets stronger becoming a mirror image
          past
          | the half way point. The end result will give the illusion (hopefully) when
          | repeated across the screen, of looking at a round bar. Maybe it needs to
          be the
          | other way around, lighter at top and bottom and graduated darker towards
          the
          | middle?
          |
          | I have recently purchased Fireworks 8 and a trial copy of Photoshop CS,
          but
          | despite buying a book on Fireworks and trawling the net, I've not been
          able to
          | find any tutorials that describes how to create the above effect. So if
          anybody
          | can advise where I can track down information to do the task with what
          I've
          | got, I'd be most grateful.
          |
          | Many thanks,
          |
          |
          | Myles
          |

• 2. Re: Problem creating a graphic for background tile
            Magicalwonders Level 1
            Thanks Peter,

Style 54 seems to be perfect for what I want to do.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to change the colour and crop it to get rid of any shadows! Why is it solving one problem always seems to create others!

Myles
            • 3. Re: Problem creating a graphic for background tile
              Level 7
              I would examine the style in the Property inspector. Check the Filters and
              see which ones have been applied for that particular style. You can click
              the Tick/Check to remove/apply that particular filter to see if you need it
              or not.

To change the colour, again in the PI (Property Inspector) click the Paint
              Bucket and change the colour of the Colour Chips.

You may find it easier to make your own style, but pulling a couple of
              existing ones apart should help.

Peter

"Magicalwonders" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f33o71$9nq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              | Thanks Peter,
              |
              | Style 54 seems to be perfect for what I want to do.
              |
              | Now all I have to do is figure out how to change the colour and crop it to
              get
              | rid of any shadows! Why is it solving one problem always seems to create
              others!
              |
              | Myles
              |

• 4. Re: Problem creating a graphic for background tile
                Magicalwonders Level 1
                Thanks Peter,

I seem to be getting there. I've now managed to change colours. There are so many clickable options, so I'm trying everything to see what it does!

I haven't had any luck in removing shadows from edges yet, but I might just make a bigger image and crop them out!

Thanks again for your help.

Myles
                • 5. Re: Problem creating a graphic for background tile
                  Level 7
                  Try double clicking on the Style itself, that should open an Edit window,
                  you can try altering some of the settings in there. If you do, it's probably
                  a good idea to save it under a new name.

Peter
                  |
                  | I seem to be getting there. I've now managed to change colours. There are
                  so
                  | many clickable options, so I'm trying everything to see what it does!
                  |
                  | I haven't had any luck in removing shadows from edges yet, but I might
                  just
                  | make a bigger image and crop them out!
                  |
                  | Thanks again for your help.
                  |
                  | Myles
                  |

• 6. Re: Problem creating a graphic for background tile
                    Magicalwonders Level 1
                    Turning off "Effect" and "Stroke Type" within "Edit Style" seems to have done the trick. I may need to turn off "Stroke colour" as well, but think I will test it first as a background and see if it gives me a seamless effect.

Thanks.

Myles