4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 2:30 AM by Monica Singh

Broken documents ID 9.2.1 (error code 5)

Faam Reclame Royale Level 1

After my documents (InDesign 9.2.1) are saved and closed, they can't be reopened. Notification: document is corrupt and can not be restored (error code 5). Happened a few times now :-(

• 1. Re: Broken documents ID 9.2.1 (error code 5)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are they being stored locally, on a network, or on removable media? It sounds like a write error, far more likely to happen on a network or a removable drive.

• 2. Re: Broken documents ID 9.2.1 (error code 5)
            Faam Reclame Royale Level 1

Hello Peter,

The documents are stored locally on a hard drive through a Mac Server. It happens only with ad random Indesign documents.

Indesign crashes many times when closing the app. It seems something is wrong upon saving the document for the last time

and than closing Indesign. When you start working again the document won't open.

• 3. Re: Broken documents ID 9.2.1 (error code 5)
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Faam Reclame Royale wrote:

Hello Peter,

The documents are stored locally on a hard drive through a Mac Server.

Umm, I'm not sure what that means. If they're on the server, that's not local.

Indesign crashes many times when closing the app. It seems something is wrong upon saving the document for the last time

and than closing Indesign. When you start working again the document won't open.

That should not be happening. There was a problem with crash on shutdown with the 9.0 release, as I recall, but it was supposedly fixed in the first update. You may have some third-party software conflict you need to track down.

• 4. Re: Broken documents ID 9.2.1 (error code 5)
                Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Error Code 5 unfortunately is a designation for a corrupted or damaged file.

However that is just the code, there are ways we are going to try to fix this, so hang in there!

Sometimes with the Indesign software, the Preferences file be damaged and that will cause not just inDesign files, but also the application itself to behave very erratic and sometimes unresponsive.

So here is what we are going to try first:

--Removing/Recreating InDesign Preferences --

• Close the InDesign application

• From the Finder menu bar (located on the Apple Menu bar) and click on Go

• From the Go menu, select Home.

• This opens to your Home folder, where you will now locate and open the Library

folder.

• Within the Library folder, locate and open the Application Support folder

• Open the Adobe InDesign/Version 3.0 folder .

• Locate and rename these two files the same way, as the examples in the

parenthesis:

- InDesign SavedData file (for example, to InDesign SavedData.old)

- InDesign Defaults file (for example, to InDesign Defaults.old )

• Once you have completed this, relaunch InDesign (InDesign will now create two new preference files in place of the two you have just changed.

• Now try to open the inDesign file you were experiencing issues with opening.

• If the problem still persists, with the file not opening or InDesign application still not functioning properly, you can restore the 2 .old files, by deleting the 2 new preferences files that were created in there place and taking the .old extension off of the original files.

Again I must stress an Error code: 5 is not a good code when it comes to the functionality of a file, but I will work as well as I can, to see if we can try to get this file functioning again.

**copied.