9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 4:16 PM by station_two

Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc

davidsadobescreenname

Hello Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem that's been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks now.

I have the very latest version of Photoshop CC - when I bring up Camera Raw in Photoshop (Filter-Camera Raw Filter), the toolbar at the top displays the older version of the tools available (screen shot below) - the newer version with the current tools doesn't appear. I've tried deleting and re-installing Photoshop CC numerous times now, tried numerous web searches and a search on this forum to no avail. I did have Photoshop 6 previously installed for a short while last year before I moved to CC, but I have uninstalled that already. Im on a mac using latest version of Mavericks. Curiously I can get the new version of Camera Raw if I use Bridge, but as I don't use Bridge for anything else this is not really a solution.

If anyone can help me out I will be really grateful!

Best wishes,

David

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 21.10.09.png

• 1. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I think you may actually have the latest Camera Raw, as evidenced by the icons at the bottom-right of the image preview area.  In Photoshop,  what does Help - About Plug-in - Camera Raw... report the version as?

It's weird, I don't recall seeing the tools look like that in any version...  Maybe that's how it looks in Photoshop Elements?  Clearly you're running [Ps].

You might get more feedback on this forum:  Adobe Camera Raw

-Noel

• 2. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
            Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is that an old image that you opened in a previous version of camera raw.  If so, it will bring up the old tools.  Clear the camera raw setting by using the flyout menu in the tool bar or by right clicking in Bridge and selecting "Develop Setting>Clear Settings."

• 3. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
              Level 5

Since I don't have CC, I can only speculate what is and what is not possible for ACR to accomplish when implemented as a filter inside the Photoshop application, as opposed to running as a plug-in hosted by Photoshop or Bridge.

Here's what the toolbar looks like in ACR 8.4 hosted by CS6:

ACR_84_inCS6_ToolBar.png

What you seem to be missing in your screen shot in comparison to mine are the "Straightening Tool" (Level icon), the "Open Preferences" icon, the "Rotate Image 90º Clockwise" tool and the "Rotate Image 90º Counterclockwise Tool".

I can easily imagine those 4 being left out in the filter version; but as I said before, I'm only speculating.

Try opening a raw file so that the ACR plug-in launches hosted by Photoshop or Bridge, and see it the missing tool reappear there.  It's a test that would not take more than 2 minutes, and it most certainly can't hurt.

• 4. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
                Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looking at this closer, it looks like this is a layer that was turned into a Smart Object and put into the Camera Raw filter.  There are a different set of tools for that.

• 5. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your screenshot is of the Camera Raw Layer FILTER in CC.  Camera Raw as a Filter is new for CC so it would be impossible to see it in a previous PS version such as CS6 or in Bridge.

In Bridge and previous PS versions, you would seeing the Camera Raw PLUG-IN which operates on an entire image at a time on the way into PS rather than on a Layer that is part of a Photoshop document, and can work with raw data, so has more controls that only make sense for an entire image or a raw image.  For example, rotation, including straightening, can be done on the Layer via other PS tools, and would need to also operate on any Layer mask so isn't appropriate to do within the filter, itself, most likely.  And of course CR Preferences are for whole image or raw-image conversion not filter operation on a Layer.

What functionality are you wanting in the Filter version that is only in the plug-in version, or are you just wondering why things are different between the Filter and the Plug-in versions?

• 6. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
                    Level 5

Thanks for jumping in, sspengler.  It's most gratifying to see my speculation confirmed and validated by one of the most helpful ACR contfributors in these forums, an expert with proven credentials. 

• 7. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Ah yes, good catch guys!

Here's what it looks like in Windows under that condition, and why I didn't recognize the toolbar as listed.  For some reason there are no borders on the icons in the Windows version!

CameraRawAsFilter.png

-Noel

• 8. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
                        davidsadobescreenname Level 1

Hello folks...many thanks for your very quick replies, it's greatly appreciated. I'm sorry that I've taken longer than I would like to thank you all, work got in the way and this is the first chance I had to reply.

So yes, my original question was borne out of my own ignorance. I'm still learning about Photoshop and Bridge and thanks to the great tutorials on Kelby One I've come a long way. But not far enough it seems! After reading all your replies I finally realised that I was making a fundamental error, and wrongly assumed that the Camera Raw filter in Photoshop CC would give me the same toolbar as the CR plugin available in Bridge. Part of this was due to the fact that I don't currently use Bridge in my workflow - my images go into Aperture (for organisation and until recently minor raw adjustments) and from there I then pop into Photoshop, missing out Bridge altogether from my workflow. With all the tutorials I ve been watching on Kelby One, I've been slowly weening myself of Aperture and getting a much better handle on the intricacies of Photoshop for my editing and this also partly explains why I was getting confused.

Thanks again to everyone who replied and getting me back on the right track. It's all one big goddam learning curve - I hope to get there one day!

Best wishes,

David

• 9. Re: Old version of Camera Raw toolbar in photoshop cc
                          Level 5

David, you keep bringing up "Bridge"—in error.

Bridge has nothing to do with what Camera Raw does or what it shows.  Bridge is just a file browser, nothing more and nothing less.

Yes both Photoshop and Bridge can host the ACR plug-in.  So what? 
                          Bridge is not an image editor, it cannot open or manipulate any files.  It simply hands the file(s) over to the appropriate editing application, whether this be Adobe Camera Raw, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign or even MS Word.

The Camera Raw filter in Photoshop is an entirely different animal and is not linked to the ACR plug-in.