5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 11:44 AM by D Fosse

Monitor profile appears to be defective..Photoshop CC

cartooner

I have an AOC 931SWL Monitor, it's about 4 years old.  A month ago I purchased a new HP Envy computer, IntelCore 3.4g CPU, 8GB RAM, 4GB Nvidia Geforce GT 640 graphics card.

I have been using Photoshop CC without problems until recently the OS Windows 7 Pro updated. Since then I get this error message when I open Photoshop CC "The monitor profile 831W g2.2 D78 appears to be defective Please reun your monitor calibration software" with choice of  Ignore  Use anyway. I click Ignore and it's ok, not ok if I click Use Anyway.  This is the only program where I get this message. Illustrator, Corel Paintshop, Corel Painter all are ok just Photoshop.

I have the original CD that came with monitor and it has the profile file on it..831w.icm. I have also read here in the forum what has been suggested to others who have had this same type of message....but I really need step by step help.  Can I replace the current monitor profile with the original on CD and if I can where do I find where the profile file is?

I really want to be careful, I do have some computer knowledge and fairly computer literate..need help.

• 1. Re: Monitor profile appears to be defective..Photoshop CC
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Manufacturer-supplied profiles are notoriously unreliable and often outright defective. The problem is that they are often pushed through Windows Update to unsuspecting users. Avoid them. If you click "hide this update" the next time it comes up it won't come back.

The Photoshop message means what it says. Choose "Ignore" to throw it out and replace it with the Windows default, which is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. The proper fix is to make a custom profile with a calibrator, but if you don't have one it's always best and safest to use sRGB.

The manual way to do this is to go into Control Panel > Color Management > Devices. Relaunch Photoshop after you've changed the profile (it needs to pick up the correct profile at startup):

display_profile_4.png

• 2. Re: Re: Monitor profile appears to be defective..Photoshop CC
            cartooner Level 1

Thank you...I want to be careful before I do anything so if I ask what may be dumb questions please forgive me.

I found Color Management..a different path then you listed..but i did find it, not that hard.

Ok, when I get there the ADD button is gray so when I click on it no response. I then checked "Use my settings for this device."

Then the ADD button became active. Is that the correct way, check the Use my settings, then ADD?

Sorry again, I really want to make I'm doing this right. I'm fairly familiar with computers, no elite expert, but familiar. Never ever ran into this problem before.

I'll wait for your reply.

• 3. Re: Monitor profile appears to be defective..Photoshop CC

cartooner wrote:

Is that the correct way, check the Use my settings, then ADD?

Yes, that's correct. I've always had it checked, so I forgot. Photoshop (and any other color managed application) will use the profile listed as "default" - which in this case should be sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

If at a later time you buy a calibrator it will do all this automatically.

• 4. Re: Monitor profile appears to be defective..Photoshop CC
                cartooner Level 1

Thank you so much...that corrected the problem I was having, no error message when starting Photoshopcc.

One more dumb question, is a calibrator software? and where do you purchase it?

Thank you again

• 5. Re: Monitor profile appears to be defective..Photoshop CC

A calibrator is a sensor (colorimeter) with associated software. It measures the monitor's response, performs some basic correction, and then makes a profile that color managed applications use to display the file correctly.

The profile is the same kind you had trouble with, only a calibrator will make a much more accurate one since it measures your specific display. If you're part of a production chain where you hand off your work to others, a calibrated / profiled display is a pretty basic requirement. If you work for yourself in a closed loop you may not need it.

Third party manufacturers are mainly X-rite (i1 Display Pro, ColorMunki) and Datacolor (Spyder). High-end displays from NEC and Eizo and a few others come with their own dedicated calibrators (included or optional). Prices from about $100 and up.