7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2014 3:01 AM by John J David

MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8

John J David Level 1

We have created an equation as EPS/None format by using the MathType version mentioned above.

The same equation was imported into InDesign CS6 and found that there was an extra space that occurred around the equations. But we did not give any additional space before/after the equations in MathType.

The above space was taken by default while saving eps/none format in MathType itself.

On Windows, There is an option called "Picture Padding". We could control that extra spacing before even we created any equations.

On Mac, I was unable to find that option for the above version.

Since we struggle a lot to adjust an extra space in InDesign on every equation that occurred by default while saving as EPS/None format.

We are running out of time to deliver the pages to client.

Can you please guide me on how to solve this issue?

• 1. Re: MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8
          Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Screenshots, please! Thanks.

• 2. Re: MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

Have you tried saving as PDF? The Mac version of MathType has a additional export format option of PDF.

Maybe this will work better than EPS?

Also, to be clear, you are PLACING these files in InDesign, not copy and paste?

If you hold down the Shift key when PLACING your MathType files, you should get additional options.  Maybe there is something in these options that will help.

The Windows version doesn't offer PDF as an export option.

• 3. Re: MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8
              John J David Level 1

I have highlighted the equations in Red [rectangle] in the following images. Page 1 indicates that equations have been placed as is without any modifications. Page 2 indicates that the change have been done [adjusted extra space within InDesign] after placed the equations into InDesign. Let me know if this is helps you to identify the issue. Guide me on how to solve this issue.

MathType6.7e_Page_1.jpgMathType6.7e_Page_2.jpg

• 4. Re: MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8
                MrMathType Level 2

Regarding picture padding on the Mac...

As you noted, on Windows it requires a change in the Windows Registry. On the Mac, this is in an Apple Plist.

Here’s where the file is located: ~/Library/Preferences/com.DesignScience.DSMT6.plist

Note that this is a hidden folder. You may already understand how to find it, but in the event you don’t, the easiest way is to open a Finder window and click the Go menu. Press the alt/option key, and you'll see Library appear between Home and Computer. Click it, and when it opens, then you can navigate to the Preferences folder. (Note that this is not the Library folder you'll find simply by clicking Macintosh HD. That's not the hidden Library folder, and you will not find the plist there.)

Before opening the file, if MathType is running, close it, otherwise any changes will be overwritten when you close MathType.

Once this plist file is open, scroll down near the bottom to the key named Windows/PicturePadding. The default value is 2. You can change it to 0 and save the file. If you have the Apple Developer Tools, the best way to edit this file is with the Property List Editor app. Don't even try with TextEdit.app. Another app that works is TextWrangler.app.

This may solve the issue, but you may also see some clipping of the image. You'll have to experiment a bit to see what works. We plan to improve this process in MathType 7 to make it possible to change this value through the MathType GUI.

Bob Mathews

Design Science

• 5. Re: MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8
                  John J David Level 1

Thanks a lot Bob for providing a great info to us. We will do as per your advise and let you know if we come across any issue.

Thanks once again.

• 6. Re: MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8
                    MrMathType Level 2

Sure; glad to help. If you feel like my reply provided an answer to your issue, can you mark it answered? Thanks.

• 7. Re: MathType 6.7e with InDesign CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8
                      John J David Level 1

This was answered to My question. Thanks a lot.