9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 7:18 AM by MARKLAWSONDESIGN

Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel

MARKLAWSONDESIGN Level 1

Don't know if this is a consequence of shifting my files and account across to a new Mac Pro, and re-configuring hard drive locations where linked image files are, but... I'm working on a document that spanned systems - finally coming to completion, and I'm writing the print PDF and found this problem.

InDesign CC 9.2.1 running on Mavericks 10.9.2 is NOT indicating missing links images in the Links panel. In fact it's not indicating the image on the page is even in the document - it doesn't appear in the Links panel, even though I see the image on the page.

I noticed this when proof checking a high res print PDF, and the image looked low-res. Odd as it shouldn't be.  Went back to InDesign file to interrogate the image, and found when I clicked on it, it wasn't highlighted in the Links panel - where I have the Warnings, dpi and other columns active so I can quickly check problems. It wasn't there at all. InDesign seems to be blind to the image.  When I right click the rogue images on the page I don't get the 'Graphics' section at the bottom of the drop down menu as I do with ok images.  I guess because InDesign doesn't even know it's there?

Basically the image is visibly on the page, but InDesign doesn't appear to know about it.....  What gives?  I'm having to go through a long document now clicking on each image to check it's showing in the Links panel, then relinking every image that appears to be completely lost as far as InDesign is concerned not even knowing it's there.

I have "Reset All Warning Dialogues". Made no difference.

I worry about what other files are going to do this to me now and how much time will be wasted carefully checking validity of every image.

• 1. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's the behavior I would expect if the image were pasted, not placed.

• 2. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel
            MARKLAWSONDESIGN Level 1

Thanks Peter, maybe that's it although I don't recall using that method of putting the image in the layout. It's not something I would normally do. Its some months ago mind you, and the client did send me a bunch of images to consider using so I may have just dragged their images into my early layout while scamping up the first draft, and it may be these images that have been 'lost' by I.D.

I normally create an image frame into which, using Edit - Place, select the image from a folder on the drive.

Sometimes (because the preview of images in the ID Place dialogue is so slow to build) I view images in a Finder window and select from there, drag-and-drop into a pre-sized Image frame in I.D.

I may have dragged an image direct from the Finder into Indesign not first creating an image frame for it to be placed into. But I thought I.D. would still note it as a Link asset, else why allow images of any kind into the layout if Links doesn't keep track of them for pre-press proofing use etc.

The (in the end just 4) images that were completely unknown to InDesign were all in image frames, scaled and cropped within the frame bounds. So I wasn't to know months later that I may have drag-dropped the image files uncropped etc into ID then subsequently cropped them (if indeed I had).

If you're suggesting this method of adding images quickly into I.D. won't list them in the Links panel, then I will make a conscious effort never to use that quick method again!

• 3. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MARKLAWSONDESIGN wrote:

I may have dragged an image direct from the Finder into Indesign not first creating an image frame for it to be placed into. But I thought I.D. would still note it as a Link asset, else why allow images of any kind into the layout if Links doesn't keep track of them for pre-press proofing use etc.

The (in the end just 4) images that were completely unknown to InDesign were all in image frames, scaled and cropped within the frame bounds. So I wasn't to know months later that I may have drag-dropped the image files uncropped etc into ID then subsequently cropped them (if indeed I had).

If you're suggesting this method of adding images quickly into I.D. won't list them in the Links panel, then I will make a conscious effort never to use that quick method again!

Not that it solves your problem, but I'm just calling your attention to the fact that you're ascribing a property to image frames that they don't have. It makes no difference whether you pre-draw a frame. In fact, you never have to do that. An image cannot exist in InDesign without a frame, and if you don't pre-make one, InDesign automatically makes one to fit the image. Whether you place, drag-place, or paste, frame behavior is the same.

• 4. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel
                MARKLAWSONDESIGN Level 1

But if what Peter says is true, and an image always ends up in an Image Frame is also true as you say John, then why hasn't InDesign clocked the new image in the layout file and assigned it as an asset in the Links panel?

I could argue by dragging and dropping an image direct from Finder onto an I.D. page that it's been added into the layout, and if it's always going to have an Image Frame defacto I.D. should account for it.... but it seems not in this instance (if that's what was the likely cause).  Must be a bug with I.D. surely?

Mind you, since Mavericks I'm finding a number of bugs with CC apps that I've never experienced before. Whether that's the OS or Adobe who knows.... Keeps us on our toes.

• 5. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel

What Peter says is true. If you paste (embed) an image, it doesn't link, and doesn't show in the links panel. It does still get a frame, and its frame behaves just like the frame of a placed (linked) image. My point was that frame presence and behavior is unrelated to whether an image is linked or embedded. Your last post still suggests a belief that frame = linked. Not so.

As for CC running under "Mavericks," I can't speak to that. There does seem to be a lot of unpredictable, perhaps buggy effects of that pairing. I continue stubbornly (and happily) in CS6; and although I work on both platforms, I strongly prefer Windows and use the Mac only when I have to.

Oh, and...drag/drop does = Place, so if indeed your seeming unlinked images were dragged in, there may be something wrong there.

• 6. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel

John Mensinger wrote:

Oh, and...drag/drop does = Place, so if indeed your seeming unlinked images were dragged in, there may be something wrong there.

Drag and drop from Finder, Windows Explorer, or from Bridge are all equivalent  to File > Place..., but dragging from Photoshop or another application would be the same as Edit > Paste.

• 7. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel

Ah yes, thanks for making that distinction, Peter. I knew that, but I never drag/drop, so it's not exactly front-of-mind stuff.

• 8. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel

No problem.

It's really important, though, to know that there is a difference. Many users think that because they can drag from finder or Bridge they can do it from anywhere, and that's where problems like this start.

• 9. Re: Missing image links NOT alerted, and not in Links panel
                          MARKLAWSONDESIGN Level 1

Thank you Peter and John. Working through this has been helpful, and actually I now recall (have double checked) where the images came from.  They are all the images I used that were within the client's supplied MS Word file for briefing text and possible images to use in my final design.  I ignored most images but a couple were a good call, so I think I must have drag-dropped out of Word I guess, so that will be the scenario as you both explain would lead to this behaviour in I.D.  and logically is why I.D. wouldn't see them as they are elements within another application and not the Finder.

Now to work out which of your answers was the 'Correct Answer' !  if not all of them.  Cheers to you both. Issue solved.