10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2007 10:19 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Trouble with Linear Gradients

    rtpalazzo
      I am trying to use a horizontal linear gradient and when I preview my image in a browser, there are vertical bars or "slices" shown instead of a smooth gradient. Has anyone seen this or does anyone know how to remedy it?

      rory
        • 1. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
          Level 7
          rory,

          check your export settings in the Optimize panel and make sure that you
          are not exporting as a gif.

          rtpalazzo wrote:
          > I am trying to use a horizontal linear gradient and when I preview my image in
          > a browser, there are vertical bars or "slices" shown instead of a smooth
          > gradient. Has anyone seen this or does anyone know how to remedy it?
          >
          > rory
          >
          • 2. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
            rtpalazzo Level 1
            As I stated in the other forum, you are absolutely right. Thanks for the correction.

            Rory
            • 3. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
              neillbaker
              What if your using an aim gif , and you got these lines how do you get rid of them then.
              • 4. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
                Level 7
                neillbaker wrote:
                > What if your using an aim gif , and you got these lines how do you get rid of them then.

                What's an aim GIF?


                --
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Trouble with Linear Gradients
                  neillbaker Level 1
                  Thanks for the link nice looking site way,but to be fair i had nose and didn't see anything helpful reguards getting rid of those lines on a aimating gif with a gradient back ground ,looks fine in fireworks but as soon as i browse it bang them bloody lines,
                  i have tryed blur more blur dittering all sorts, please there must be a way many thanks
                  • 6. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
                    neillbaker Level 1
                    Sorry i posted with out noticeing you what is a aim gif ,its used on banner work ie by using frames to display diffent text or images that constancely revolve , the setting is in the optimize panel play with it and see what happens with a gradient background and an images on there as well, lines lines tourment have fun
                    • 7. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
                      Level 7
                      neillbaker wrote:

                      > Thanks for the link nice looking site way,but to be fair i had nose and didn't
                      > see anything helpful reguards getting rid of those lines on a aimating gif with
                      > a gradient back ground ,looks fine in fireworks but as soon as i browse it bang
                      > them bloody lines,
                      > i have tryed blur more blur dittering all sorts, please there must be a way
                      > many thanks

                      The problem is with the GIF format. It isn't capable of displaying
                      smooth gradients. Have you tried exporting the animation in SWF format?



                      --
                      Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.projectseven.com
                      Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                      CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                      http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      • 8. Trouble with Linear Gradients
                        neillbaker Level 1
                        You mean flash ,yer i dont mind i think flash looks better any way there are little cheats to cut the weight down ,but some people wont touch it ie picking the banners up that i put on the network ,but such is life a ,anyone else who knows the answer to this problem i will check back here.thanks linda for trying and showing me them couple of sites to
                        • 9. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
                          Level 7
                          neillbaker wrote:

                          > You mean flash ,yer i dont mind i think flash looks better any way there are
                          > little cheats to cut the weight down ,but some people wont touch it ie picking
                          > the banners up that i put on the network ,but such is life a ,anyone else who
                          > knows the answer to this problem i will check back here.

                          The answer is to not use gradients in GIF files. It's a limitation of
                          the format.

                          --
                          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                          --------------------------------------------------------------
                          http://www.projectseven.com
                          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                          --------------------------------------------------------------
                          • 10. Re: Trouble with Linear Gradients
                            Level 7
                            neillbaker wrote:
                            > Sorry i posted with out noticeing you what is a aim gif ,its used on banner
                            > work ie by using frames to display diffent text or images that constancely
                            > revolve , the setting is in the optimize panel play with it and see what
                            > happens with a gradient background and an images on there as well, lines lines
                            > tourment have fun
                            >
                            You can get animated GIFs to do some interesting things but it can be
                            hard work. Trying to juggle colour pallets, animation and keeping
                            things reasonable sweet takes time.

                            And, of course, the more precision one seeks the more file size increases.

                            GIFs can help but each image format has its limitations.

                            See some experimental work at

                            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.plc/web-content/I/1/Samples/NG26/ng26l.html