5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2006 10:11 PM by Newsgroup_User

Line Shape Thickness

Level 7
      When using a Line shape object, is there any way to change the thickness of
      the line other than those 4 sizes at the bottom of the tool-palette? I can
      get a 0, 1, 2, or 3 pixel thickness, but I can't get anything thicker. In
      the Property Inspector, I can see the lineSize property, which goes up to
      12, but it has no visible effect on the Line shape. (It only works on the
      borders of other shapes, rectangle, oval, etc.) "strokeWidth" seems to only
      apply to Vector shapes. (And I'll be damned if I'm using one of those.
      They invariably make the program wig out and eventually crash every time I
      try to play with them.) Is there some other hidden feature that affects the
      line width on an actual Line?

• 1. Re: Line Shape Thickness
          Chunick Level 3
          Darrel,

my initial suggestion would be to use vectorshapes. I've used them without problems many times before so am not familiar with the problems you mention. Maybe a solution can be found if you can produce a quick example which can be uploaded/linked to and tested by myself.
          • 2. Re: Line Shape Thickness
            Level 7
            > my initial suggestion would be to use vectorshapes. I've used them
            without
            > problems many times before so am not familiar with the problems you
            mention.
            > Maybe a solution can be found if you can produce a quick example which can
            be
            > uploaded/linked to and tested by myself.

Doesn't matter what I do. Open up the vector window, create a shape, about
            10 or 20 clicks later, the screen completely wigs out and I can't see
            anything. Continue trying to move points or edit anything in the vector
            window, it invariably results in a crash. Even if I make edits, save, quit
            Director and reopen it, the file that I saved still has the same glitch,
            can't edit the vector member without the program going nuts. This problem
            has beem consistant on every version of Director on multiple computers (both
            Mac and PC) ever since they added the "feature". In my experience, vector
            shapes are just too buggy to use. I haven't once gotten them to work
            reliably for even the simplest of applications. (Including this one: just
            one line, no curves. Believe me, I tried. It crashed, on a 2-vertex
            straight line. It's almost depressing that they released software with such
            a non-functional feature in it.)

• 3. Re: Line Shape Thickness
              Level 7
              Alright, for the sake of argument, how would you go about using a vector
              shape to create a line where one end remains at a fix point, while the other
              follows the mouse cursor? The line must be of fixed width, and the fixed
              point must not move around, and the curved ends of the line must not be
              chopped off by the edge of the sprite (another annoying behavior I can't get
              around). My first attempt was an utter failure:

on exitFrame me
              vL = member(1).vertexList
              vL[1].vertex = the mouseLoc
              member(1).vertexList = vL
              end

Other than a "go to the frame", there's no other code running, and in fact
              nothing else whatsoever in this movie. The thing goes all over the place,
              certainly not following the mouse, and keeps changing width, cutting the
              ends off, and generally just not behaving the way it should. And then it
              crashes. I'm not doing anything monumental here, but this feature just
              plain doesn't work. (I'm sure that the not-following the mouse thing is
              just bad code on my part, but there's no way this simple movie should be
              crashing with startling regularity...)

• 4. Re: Line Shape Thickness
                Level 7
                It's not so much that the shapes are buggy, it's the shape editor window.
                You can manipulate a vector shape's properties reliably using Lingo.

• 5. Re: Line Shape Thickness
                  Level 7
                  > Alright, for the sake of argument, how would you go about using a vector
                  > shape to create a line where one end remains at a fix point, while the other
                  > follows the mouse cursor?

By setting the regPointVertex of the member (so that it stays anchored)
                  and doing some maths based on the mouse loc relative to the sprite's loc.

Run the following in your message window:
                  member(1).regPointVertex = 1
                  member(1).vertexList = [[#vertex: point(0, 0)], [#vertex: point(100, 100)]]

Position the sprite at point(0, 0) on your stage (top left corner at 0,
                  0). Now place the following in a behavior in the frameScript channel and
                  play the movie:
                  --
                  on exitFrame me
                  vL = member(1).vertexList
                  vL[2].vertex = the mouseLoc
                  member(1).vertexList = vL
                  go to the frame
                  end