7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 11:15 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?

sscad27

I've never worked with Pantone colors previously, so forgive me if I am missing something, or being stupid (or if my client is), etc. I have received logos in RGB, as jpeg files (I also have the EPS versions). My client insists that these images are not to be in RGB, and that the colors follow their Pantone specifications. These logos are with the intent of printing.

I have received the RGB and CMYK equivalents that the previous Marketing company had provided, so achieving the desired color is not a problem. When I pick up the color, and select the color libraries, I see that corresponding Pantone color is correct. So, once I change the colors and save the files, they're obviously still RGB unless I change it to CMYK. Is [Image-->Mode-->CMYK] correct when dealing with Pantone printing? Is there no image mode for PMS? I am not doing the printing so I don't need specification beyond the point of saving the file.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Pantone Colors are Spot Colors, one can create Spot Channels in Photoshop.

Claiming an RGB image without Spot Channels conforms to Pantone Colors seems potentially problematic.

The result of converting an RGB image to CMYK for printing depends on the RGB color space (hopefully the profile has been embedded)), the CMYK target space and the separation settings like the Render Intent.

Assuming some particular RGB values will always result in the intended appearance (as defined by some Pantone Color) in CMYK is basically unjustified when one considers how many Pantone Colors’ appearance is out of gamut for many and in some cases even for all CMYK spaces.

(While it’s possible that your customer has made sure all the Pantone Colors they use in their logo are in gamut for the used RGB space and most CMYK spaces I would not like to rely on that.)

Are the eps versions of the logos vector data or pixel eps?

If they are vector they may well contain the correct Pantone Colors, do you have Illustrator, Indesign or Acrobat?

• 2. Re: Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?
            sscad27 Level 1

The EPS is vector based. I have Illustrator, just not very familiar with it. Could I export or save the document as a JPEG, Pantone color or something? When I open the EPS file in Photoshop, the image mode reads as CMYK.

• 3. Re: Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

As far as I know jpg does not support spot colours.

You could create a separated pdf or manually isolate the spot color elements and reassemble the image in Photoshop with spot colour channels, but is that worth the trouble?

Why do you not want to use the vector data, what exactly are you doing with the logo in Photoshop?

• 4. Re: Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?
                sscad27 Level 1

They want Jpegs for online usage, but I know those will have to be in RGB anyway, so do I just use RGB values that most closely resemble the original PMS colors and leave it at that?  I guess their specifications for having non RGB files just threw me off. They also want versions available for printing, which I can give them the EPS. I needed to fix up the logos a bit, which I felt more comfortable using Photoshop for. I suppose it's best to edit in Illustrator on original EPS? 

• 5. Re: Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                  They want Jpegs for online usage, but I know those will have to be in RGB anyway, so do I just use RGB values that most closely resemble the original PMS colors and leave it at that?

Well, for web use the Spot Colors are naturally redundant. (edited)

Do you work in sRGB?

They also want versions available for printing, which I can give them the EPS.

Will those files be printed with Spot Colors or just CMYK?

• 6. Re: Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?
                    sscad27 Level 1

Yes the source space is sRGB.

And I am not sure how they will be printed, but I am assuming spot colors since they ask for PMS values, not CMYK.

• 7. Re: Pantone/PMS Color Profile option available in Photoshop?
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                      but I am assuming spot colors since they ask for PMS values, not CMYK.

Unfortunately that can be less conclusive than one might hope … printing spot colors is not free so the ultimate decision on how something will get printed might be subject to review.

Like I mentioned previously using Spot Colors in Photoshop will have to be done with Spot Channels, so if you wanted to provide the ultimate printing file with actual Spot Colors as edited in Photoshop you’d have to utilize those (one or more depending on the elements).