9 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2014 2:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Native Projector resolution

Ruidoso Bill

I creating a video which I will be show tomorrow. I researched the projector and see its native resolution is 1024 X 768 and with Premiere Elements 12 I don't have that as a save option, any suggestions for a complete newbie?

• 1. Re: Native Projector resolution
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The publish/share links in The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has a link discussing Sharing for Computer that may help

• 2. Re: Native Projector resolution
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ruidoso Bill

Before we get into the projector details, please give us some details of your project

a. What did you or the project set as the Premiere Elements 12 project preset? If you do not know, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, Pixel Aspect Ratio readings.

b. What are the properties of your source media that you took to the Timeline? Did those properties match the description of the project preset?

Video can be 4:3 or 16:9. The native resolution of your projector is 1024 x 768 4:3. Even though the projector can scale the image projection to 16:9, the generalized recommendation is to match the projector resolution and aspect ratio with those of the video.

Depending on your project details, we might look at a 1280 x 720 export (720p) or depending on how the project handles scaling even a 1920 x 1080.

With more details, we can fine tune the response down to step by step and export settings. Can you do some test runs with the projector to gauge its performance beforehand?

ATR

• 3. Re: Native Projector resolution
              Ruidoso Bill Level 1

Thanks ATR,

I shot the video with a Nikon D800, HD 1080i 29.97 Fps editing mode, Frame size is 1920 X 1080. When I save the project for use as playback on this computer it displays the frame size as 720 X 480.

I guess the question should be if I set the laptop to the projectors native resolution of 1024 X 768 will this project be displayed as optimum as possible (I have read about the effects of scaling), it is a video for a fundraiser and I want it to look good.

• 4. Re: Native Projector resolution
                Ruidoso Bill Level 1

No dry runs, I am not setting up the projectors, actually they are using two. I have read about the issues associated with scaling and hope to not degrade the video. I am providing the laptop.

I think what I will try is save a second file at the 1280 X 720 (720p) and give them both a try and just see what looks the best.

I sincerely appreciate the help!

Regards,

Bill

• 5. Re: Native Projector resolution
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ruidoso Bill

I do not work with projectors but, from what I have read, I believe that I have introduced relevant focus points for you to consider. You might want to take a look at the video in the following link where the presenter shows a result when using 16:9 video with the 4:3 type of protector that you have.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/aspect-ratios.asp

The link is presented for informational and non promotional purposes.

When you wrote

I shot the video with a Nikon D800, HD 1080i 29.97 Fps editing mode, Frame size is 1920 X 1080. When I save the project for use as playback on this computer it displays the frame size as 720 X 480.

is it possible that your export settings were not correct? You may have missed an opportunity to customize the export settings to 1920 x 1080 and got caught up in a SD setting? If the projector was not implicated in your result that I quoted, it may just be a matter of adjusting the export settings rather than a major problem with the scaling done by this projector when 1920 x 1080 16:9 video was involved.

Are you sure about the 1080i? Could it have been 1080p. From what I have read of your Nikon D800 it would appear that it uses just progressive frame rates.

If you have 1080p, then a good export choice would be Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 or Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/with Presets = Vimeo HD.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Native Projector resolution
                    Ruidoso Bill Level 1

ATR,

I now have the file in all three mentioned formats. I plan to head out to the event early and do dry runs of the video and then decide which looks best. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Regards,

Bill

• 7. Re: Native Projector resolution
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good progress.

We will be looking forward to your results. It is an interesting question which many face, and your solutions will be helpful to all.

ATR

• 8. Re: Native Projector resolution
                        Ruidoso Bill Level 1

I had a chance to hook it all up this morning, it is just fine at the 720 X 480 resolution. Once I figured out the keystone adjustments on the projectors it displays quite well. I guess it is scaling up to the 1024 X 768 but the 1272 X 720 didn't fill the screen quite as well and the quality looked to be the same. Oh well, all my worry for naught!

Thanks for the assistance, still gives me something to ponder and learn.

Regards,

Bill

• 9. Re: Native Projector resolution
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

We are so very pleased that all turned out well for you. Interesting results with the projector scaling.

As they say, do not mess with a good thing, so the following is just an aside curiosity question. Did you mean to write 1280 x 720  instead of 1272 x 720?

Best wishes for a great presentation.

ATR