2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 2:41 PM by Joel Cherney

Shared Content!

rantingrich100

I have been using IdDesign for many years and hate quark. At my new job some still use quark mostly because of its SHARED CONTENT abilities, which I find very cool. We have 100s of installation manuals for many products. The bosses are continually changing words, phrases, punctuation and what not in these documents. We use quark mainly for its ability to UPDATE every one of these documents with a single change, and it would be insane to have to open every damn document and manually update the copy…. Can InDesign do anything comparable? I am talking about CS5.5 and 4 Rich

• 1. Re: Shared Content!
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign CS5 cannot do that. However, you can do it in InDesign CS6 or later using either (1) Edit > Place and Link, or (2) the Collect Collector/Content Placer tools with Links checked.

• 2. Re: Shared Content!
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We use quark mainly for its ability to UPDATE every one of these documents with a single change,

Maybe it's because I'm in the translation industry where using a database to manage content is what everyone does without really thinking about it. But it seems to me that using a page layout app to manage content is Completely Insane. InDesign's Content Collector makes more sense to me because it kinda assumes that you, as a designer, first lay something out, and then secondarily are asked to re-purpose that content in other locations. But if I knew, at the beginning of a project, that I had a multi-lingual, multi-channel document that was being managed by bosses that liked to change stuff mid-stream, the last thing I would want to do would be to burden my page layout app with the job of tracking changes in verbiage.