4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 7:59 AM by Dave LaRonde

Syncing a song to video (gaming montage) question

Vough

Hi all, before I ask for help, I'm profoundly deaf.

I use hearing aids to help me hear sounds (mostly background noise, so not 100%) but I can sort of listen to songs with lyrics. Like when you normal people listen to music, you feel good. I feel it too.

In AAE or PP, I can view the Audio waveforms and I can tell where are the beats. I can create keyframes based on certain beats and create effects based on these keyframes.

These stuff kind of helps me, but.... since I record gameplays from a slow-paced (it typically takes 2-5 seconds for a player to die) in this game.

So I cut clips out of my gameplays but each clip is pretty long. And as far as I know, most songs I like have a lot of beats... Literally.

I'm not sure what's the best starting approach to do this. I just like to create a good montage so the audience would like it. So, this is a pretty challenge for me...

• 1. Re: Syncing a song to video (gaming montage) question
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You can speed up your clips by using Time Remapping.  If you haven't used it before, you'll need to read up on it a bit before it makes sense.  It's in AE help.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Premiere can do it too, but I'm an FCP/Avid guy; not well versed in premiere.

And since the many video tutorials for After Effects aren't much use to you -- people talk a lot in them -- I'd recommend googling Chris and Trish Meyer, or going to their web site, the Pro Video Coalition.  They publish an excellent series of books on learning After Effects.  You might find them helpful.

• 2. Re: Syncing a song to video (gaming montage) question
            Vough Level 1

Thanks for your help. I've found some tutorial videos on some website that offer good Closed Captioning.

• 3. Re: Syncing a song to video (gaming montage) question
              Vough Level 1

Any other suggestion?

• 4. Re: Syncing a song to video (gaming montage) question
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Um, a suggestion for which one: the learning resource or the speeding up?

As far as learning via books, you can't beat the Chris and Trish Meyer series: pick the book for your AE version.  In second place might be the Adobe Classroom in a book series... but I don't know if they're available for the latest versions.  BOTH have the virtue of letting you learn without relying on someone who is talking.  Listening to speech is extremely difficult for you, I assume.  Both also come with accompanying project and footage files so you can play along at home.

Other than Time Remapping to speed up footage, you can reinterpret the frame rate in the interpret footage settings up to 99 fr/sec.  You can Stretch (or shrink)  the duration of the footage using the Stretch column in the timeline: 100% is current duration and speed, 50% shrinks it to half the duration and makes it go twice as fast, 200% stretches it to twice the duration and makes it go twice as slow.