13 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 1:48 PM by Reg1987

How do I subdivide "Places" tags?

Reg1987 Level 1

On Premiere Elements 12, I have some "Places" tags that I were generated on earlier versions of Photoshop Elements.  E.g. a tag for "House".  I used to be able to subdivide this tag into "Garage" or "Kitchen", etc.  Now, I can only rename, delete, or place it on the map.  I can not add a sub tag to it.  Is this correcct?

How do I subdivide Place tags?

• 1. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Reg1987

The task that you seek is doable in Elements Organizer 12 that comes with Premiere Elements 12 and Photoshop Elements 12. You can do keywords tagging for the category and down through subcategories as well.

I will write the details and post them in your thread shortly.

You are looking in the wrong place if you end up with the map feature in Tags/Info.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Reg1987

In Elements Organizer 12

House Category

Correction.jpg

and, after clicking on 3 New Category in above screenshot, is seen after typing in House

MoreHouse.JPG

After clicking OK to Create Category dialog, House is now one of the Keywords categories along with Nature, Color, Photography, and Other.

For House sub-category of Kitchen...right click House in the list of categories

Kitchen.jpg

And, after clicking on 2 Create new sub-category in the third screenshot, is seen the following after typing in Kitchen

MoreKitchen.JPG

After clicking OK to Create Sub-Category dialog, Kitchen is now one of the House sub-categories

TagsConclusion.JPG.

If sub-category under Kitchen is required, right click Kitchen and select create new sub-category. And, so on.....

If a new category is wanted to join House and the rest, go to and click the triangle at the top right of the line that displays the header name Keywords.

Please review and then let us know if you are OK with the details. Double check for any typing errors. Should be OK. Have proofread several times already.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
              Reg1987 Level 1

That works fine.  Thanks for you very cogent help!

Ron

• 4. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                Reg1987 Level 1

Thanks A.T.  That helps a lot.

Ron

• 5. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that the Elements Organizer suggestion worked for you.

I was glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions or need clarification.

Your question was interesting, and our discussions should prove of interest to those who run into the same situation.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                    Reg1987 Level 1

ATR

Using a “category” under the Keyword Tags, lets me subdivide the categories.  As I recall, this is the same capability that used to be available under “Places” before the advent of the Map.  Now “Places” no longer functions this way. All of my previous places subdivisions are still there apparently they were imported that way, but I cannot create more or change the ones there other than deleting them or renaming them. 

In previous version , I used “Places” to tag my various travels, E.g. Texas, with subdivisions for Houston, San Antonio, etc.  This now would work with Keyword category tags, but no longer with “Places”.  Thus, it appears that I need to retag most all of my Places tags under new Keyword category tags.  Does that sound correct??

If so, is there any automated way to move “Places” tags to “Keyword” tags?

Thanks for your insight,

Ron

• 7. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

Do not give hope yet. I have found a trick (saving tags and importing them) to use working with these Keyword Tags.

The destination is Elements Organizer 12, but please remind me which earlier version of Organizer are the tags coming from?

To be continued....

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                        Reg1987 Level 1

My last version was PSE 11, but before that 10, and maybe 8 before that.  nyway they all were imported from 11 as I upgraded from 11 to 12.

Am I correct in thinking that my tags need to be Keyword Tags, not Places tags as they were in the past?

Thanks, Ron

• 9. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

Here is what I would like you to try. This should work.

In Elements Organizer 10 catalog, you say that you have a Place category and sub-categories set up under Keywords. Given that version 10 does not have "Places" (map features) as does 12.As you found out, if you convert your Elements Organizer 10 catelog in 12, your 10's Keyword "Place" is going to end up in 12's "Place" related to the map feature.

1. In Elements Organizer 10, make sure you know the name of the catalog there. In Keywords, rename your Keyword "Places" category to "Locations" (anything but "Places"). You can leave the sub-categories as is. Close out of there.

2. In Elements Organizer 12, convert your Elements Organizer 10 catalog. You will find your "Locations" tags in the Keywords grouping and not with "Places" related to the map feature. To use the tag feature, see Elements Organizer 12 Find/Using Advanced Search to control what is displayed according to the tagging.

AdvancedSearch.JPG

In Elements Organizer 10, the counterpart of the above for controlling the display according to tagging

10.JPG

Please check out the above and let us know if that works for you. I was experimenting with saving keyword tags from one version and importing them into another. But, the above looked the easier way. My road tests seemed successful.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

In the last screenshot showing the Elements Organizer 10 counterpart, the screenshot shows Keyword Tags with "Place". That was before it was renamed to "Locations" in 10 prior going to the catelog conversion step in 12 later.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                              Reg1987 Level 1

The “Place” tags as shown in your 10 is the way I was using tags.  Somehow, I didn’t see any guidance from Adobe about how to change this as I was moving to 11 and then to 12.

My 10 catalog is long gone.  And I have reinstalled windows since then.  I have an old 11 catalog, but a lot has changed since I upgraded to 12.  So, I’m not sure it makes sense to use that even if it would work.  And I don’t know when Adobe made their change; 11 or 12?

Am I now faced with the arduous manual process to convert from places to Keyword Locations?

Thanks,

Ron

• 12. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

Are the Keyboard Tags in the correct location in Premiere Elements 11?

What happens if you convert the Elements Organizer 11 catalog in Elements Organizer 12? Have you been there and done that? It might be worth a look to determine how much can be recovered.

The major interface change for Premiere Elements took place after Premiere Elements 10. Versions 11 and 12 are essentially the same.

ATR

• 13. Re: How do I subdivide "Places" tags?
                                  Reg1987 Level 1

ATR

I no longer have 11 installed.  Could reinstall, but I’m sure that it would just look the same as my 12 now.  Because that is how I got my 12 catalog; from converting from the 11 catalog.  So, I have done the 11 to 12 conversion.

Thanks,

Ron