7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 8:18 PM by A.T. Romano

premiere elements 12 - no audio

billbutt27

Longtime Photoshop Elements and Premiere user... now on v12.  Premiere seems to work fine until I just realized there is no audio...

• I can't  hear audio in the preview playback
      • there is no audio track at the bottom of the screen
      • when I write out MP4 files, no audio is present.

Any ideas?  O/S is Windows 8.1

• 1. Re: premiere elements 12 - no audio
          A.T. Romano Level 7

billbutt27

Did you update it yet from 12 to 12.1 via the opened project's Help Menu/Update?

You say that you are a longtime Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements user. What was the most recent version of these programs that you worked with and on what computer operating system immediately before going to version 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

Are you working in the Expert or Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 12?

Because of the longtime in your description of your programs usage, I hesitate to ask, but I will anyway so as not to take anything for granted.

a. Are you working Run As Administrator as well as from User Account with Administrative Privileges?

b. Do you have the latest verison of QuickTime installed on your computer?

c. What are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

d. What are the properties of the source media?

e. What are the details of your export to a .mp4 file?

Have you gone through the drill of checking the ASIO settings in preferences? Can we assume that the no audio is only in Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

Are the Volume settings (Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel) as well as audio clip rubberband) OK?

Could you post a screenshot of your workspace where you say that there is no audio track?

Have you attempted to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the 12.0 Folder in which it exists?

Let us start here and then decide the indicated troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: premiere elements 12 - no audio
            billbutt27 Level 1

Hi A.T.

Here are responses to you questions...

Did you update it yet from 12 to 12.1 via the opened project's Help Menu/Update? YES

You say that you are a longtime Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements user. What was the most recent version of these programs that you worked with and on what computer operating system immediately before going to version 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit? I've used 3 or 4 prior releases.  I just upgraded from v9 => v12.  v9 was running on Win7; v12.1 is running on Win8.1 (64-bit)

Are you working in the Expert or Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 12? Primarily Quick, but I use Expert when I need to manipulate sound

Because of the longtime in your description of your programs usage, I hesitate to ask, but I will anyway so as not to take anything for granted.

a. Are you working Run As Administrator as well as from User Account with Administrative Privileges? I am the only user of the machine, so my user account and Admin are one in the same.

b. Do you have the latest verison of QuickTime installed on your computer? Yes

c. What are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

d. What are the properties of the source media?

e. What are the details of your export to a .mp4 file?

Have you gone through the drill of checking the ASIO settings in preferences? Yes Can we assume that the no audio is only in Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit?  Correct

Are the Volume settings (Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel) as well as audio clip rubberband) OK? Not sure...

Could you post a screenshot of your workspace where you say that there is no audio track? The audio track is physically present in the input sample, is just not audible.  When I write out a MP4, there is no audio track present.

Have you attempted to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the 12.0 Folder in which it exists? No... Nof familiar with doing that.

• 3. Re: premiere elements 12 - no audio
              A.T. Romano Level 7

billbutt27

Thanks for the follow up information. Much appreciated.

Let us rule in or out a corrupt settings file, the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs.

On Windows 8.1 64 bit, the route to it is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists. Make sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Also double check the volume sets at the rubber band and Adjust Tab areas. Just in case note, 0 dB is the default and the volume level at which the audio was recorded.

Also, right click the desktop icon for the program and select Run As Administrator and determine if that influences the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: premiere elements 12 - no audio
                billbutt27 Level 1

A.T,

I tried all of the above... still no luck.

Regards,

Bill

• 5. Re: premiere elements 12 - no audio
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks for the update.

Please remind me "Is this no audio issue contined to one project?" If you open a new project, does the project still exist?

If you bring in audio sources other than what you are using now, does the problem persist?

Is your audio card driver up to date?

What are your export settings for the instance where you say that the Timeline content exports to a .mp4 file with no audio file visable when that file is imported into the program.

I am still thinking about this.

ATR

• 6. Re: premiere elements 12 - no audio
                    billbutt27 Level 1

A.T.,

Good questions.  I just went back and did a little testing... it looks like the audio MP4 files from one video camera works fine, while the audio on another camera doesn't.  (my application is filming live lacrosse games and depending on which parent is filming the game, the source camera differs)  What's weird is the audio works fine in native windows running Windows Media Player, but when I import the file into Premiere 12, the audio track is present, but flat-lined.  Looking at the audio Properties of the file, it is marked as

• Bit Rate : 50 Kbps
                    • Channels: 6
                    • Audio Sample Rate: 44 kHz
                    • 7. Re: premiere elements 12 - no audio
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

This may be a breakthrough in the troubleshooting.

That "Channels:6" typically represents 5.1 channel audio. Are the working files all associated with Stereo? Is the problem file the only one with 5.1 channel audio? Or, do you have other working video files with 5.1 channel that are working?

Any idea what brand/model camera generated the problem files?

I do not think that this is a missing codec issue, but you might want to download and install the free GSpot codec utility to try for a readout for Audio Name, Codec, and especially Status.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

More later. Appreciated the follow up.

ATR