7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 2:49 PM by straightlife

Change margins but nothing else

straightlife Level 1

Below you can see my settings. I've made the inside margin bigger because this is a book.

But I've exported it as a pdf for another purpose and discovered that when it's reproduced as single pages the odd pages and the even pages look bad, because they have different margins on alternating pages.  Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the margins in acrobat.

So I thought I'd go back to indesign and adjust them, but if I change the margins to make them the same for both odd and even pages, the text and photos which I have word so hard to make just perfect (in a 382 page book with 87 photos) gets all messed up.  I can't figure out why since the space allotted to the frames is still exactly the same.  Isn't it?

Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 8.47.00 PM.png

• 1. Re: Change margins but nothing else
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

straightlife wrote:

Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the margins in acrobat.

@straightlife – oh well. There is. But it might be not so straightforward.

I don't know how familiar you are with the Print Production tools in Acrobat Pro.

The easiest way would be to restrict the view of both sides of pages, the even and the odd ones to a new width, that is smaller than the original one (if the layout allows that). Or that is wider than the original plus defining a shift of the contents inside the new page size.

The feature is "Crop Page". And you could apply values to even pages only and odd pages only.

(Or "Even and Odd Pages", but that's not the one we need here)

Just to show you the controls in the "Crop Pages Panel" of Acrobat Pro.

Fact is: you could even expand your page size.

Or set a new Center of the page when using Custom for setting Width and Height.

PageSizeControlsAcrobatPro.png

If the layout does not allow that, that means, only parts of the pages contents should shift, then, I think, it's best to write a script that is moving the main text thread to the middle of the page.

That script would do the following:

1. Set the coordinate system to individual pages.

2. Set the ruler units for x/y to Points

3. When some text is selected inside one of the text frames of your main text thread, the main story, would move all text containers of that story to the middle of the page the frame resides.

4. Resets all values to the original ones set in #1 and #2

It would leave text frames untouched, if they reside on the pasteboard.

I cannot advice further right now, because I do not know how your layout is built.

Uwe

• 2. Re: Change margins but nothing else
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I could try using the Page Crop Panel in Acrobat Pro with a dummy layout, if you give the page size of your document. The margins are clear. What I need is the exact page size.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Change margins but nothing else
              Salah Fadlabi Level 5

I can't figure out why since the space allotted to the frames is still exactly the same.  Isn't it?

Try to add inside and outside margins numbers then divide on 2 (1.125+0.625/2= 0.825)

Select master pages then Insert 0.825 for both inside and outside margins and make sure to turn on enable layout adjustment.

• 4. Re: Change margins but nothing else
                straightlife Level 1

Uwe,

1. You always have great advice, but

2.  It's WAY too advanced for me.  I simply can't understand it.

But thanks for trying and sorry my head is made of wood.

• 5. Re: Change margins but nothing else
                  straightlife Level 1

Didn't work. See before and after

Before:

Screen Shot 2014-05-11 at 12.26.22 PM.png

After:

Screen Shot 2014-05-11 at 12.25.24 PM.png

• 6. Re: Change margins but nothing else
                    Salah Fadlabi Level 5
                    (1.125+0.625/2= 0.825)

The result is: 0.875

• 7. Re: Change margins but nothing else
                      straightlife Level 1

Oh, thanks!  I couldn't have figured that out EVER!  IT WORKS!!!