6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 11:45 PM by yash-lucid

Which RAID controller do I choose?

yash-lucid Level 1

Hi forum. I'm waiting for my Asus P9X79-E WS board to arrive this week and I will be using RAID 0 with a separate daily backup drive for it. Before I can afford high end RAID controllers like the Areca etc, I will have to use the onboard controllers. It comes with the options below, which do I choose? I will be raiding two Seagate 3tb 7200rpm drives for editing. I have 3 SSDs for the rest, like os/cache etc...

Intel® X79 chipset :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white

4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Marvell® PCIe 9230 controller :

4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white

Support Raid 0, 1, 10

ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :

2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

Support port multiplier support

Product Page:

Motherboards - P9X79-E WS

• 1. Re: Which RAID controller do I choose?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Put all your drives on the Intel ports:

- x 6GB ports = Boot SSD and the next best performing SSD

- x 3GB ports = 2x 3TB RAID 0 drives and the slowest SSD

Marvell Ports:

- any optical drives

eSATA ports:

- any eSATA drives / enclosures that you have or have planned; turn this off at the bios level if you will not be using it at all

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Which RAID controller do I choose?
            yash-lucid Level 1

Thanks Jim. Please could you tell me why so I understand better?

You confirmed my thoughts about using the Intel ports first, but wouldn't it make more sense to put the 3rd SSD on the Marvell 6gb port instead of the Intel 3gb port?

• 3. Re: Which RAID controller do I choose?
              JEShort01 Level 4

Sure...

Intel SATA ports work really great! Especially on motherboards.

Marvell ports on motherboards can be hit or miss and that is likely more due to drivers, subtle incompatibilities, etc.

BTW, the Areca controllers I love so much use Marvell ports and they seem to work well. I've just seen too many poor SSD benchmarks, etc. using Marvell ports on motherboards to recommend them over Intel ports.

Jim

• 5. Re: Which RAID controller do I choose?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is not an answer to your question but I just found a way around the SATA III port limitation with an extremely high speed RAID equivalent that does not require a SATA inteface and is not a RAID configuration.  It is a new small PCIe interface card that delivers in any system that has a spare PCIe x4 connector with two available lane to  over 700 MB/seconds read operation and over 530 MB/seconds in write operations. All it requires is a PCIe version 2 x4 connector.  See below:for tests on my old x58 motherboard.

Plextor-Read-HD-Tune.png

Plextor-Write-HD-Tune.png

These are real performance numbers equivalent to a RAID 0 array of 3 to 4 high performance hard disk drives.  Of course you do not have the capacity of the hard drive array but by moving past projects to slower drives and reusing the 256 or 512 GB  ($300 USD/ $600 USD) SSD drives you maintain the performance.  These drives are warranted for 5 years.  Actually tested with our PPBM6/7 benchmark with export of our  Adobe Premiere Pro Disk I/O timeline I have a measured write rate of 561 MB/second. 

• 6. Re: Which RAID controller do I choose?
                  yash-lucid Level 1

Interesting! Thanks Bill, what is it called?