15 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 3:55 PM by EDA

Failed to Initialize

EDA

Hi,

I am getting the 'Failed to intialize' popup.

I have searched the forums already, but the solutions posted do not solve my problem.

I have tried the update (did not install), i have removed the software, restarted, then reinstalled. (tried this twice).

I ran the bridgetalk diagnostics line in ExtendScript and got the following output:

exman-7.0: IDLE

Group = cs

Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Extension Manager CC\Adobe Extension Manager CC.exe

Display Name = Adobe Extension Manager CC

MsgAuthentication = ON

MsgDigest = ON

ESTK = OFF

BundleID = com.adobe.exman

Status = IDLE

Info:

Group = cs

Version = 2.0

Build = ES 4.5.5

Next serial number = 15

Logging: = OFF

Now = 12:25:59

Message Version = 2.05

Authentication = ON

Digest = ON

exman-7.0: IDLE

Thread: exman-7.0#thread

Avg. pump interval = 0ms

Last pump = 1871517ms ago

Ping: 7

ECHO_REQUEST: ECHO_RESPONSE

Timeout = undefined

Handler = undefined

Timeout = undefined

Handler = undefined

MAIN: MAIN

Timeout = undefined

Handler = installed

LAUNCHED: LAUNCHED

Timeout = undefined

Handler = installed

DIAGNOSTICS: DIAGNOSTICS

Timeout = undefined

Handler = installed

INFO: INFO

Timeout = undefined

Handler = installed

SETUPTIME: thread=0ms, left=0ms

Timeout = undefined

Handler = undefined

ExeName = Adobe Extension Manager CC.exe

And my log file is as follows:

[Error] Mon May 12 12:28:37.166 2014 (..\Source\ExtensionManager.cpp, 292) -CExtensionManager::initUser: failed to get the user name from H:\!

[Error] Mon May 12 12:28:37.186 2014 (..\Source\ExtensionManager.cpp, 198) -CExtensionManager::init: initUser() failed, status = -902!

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Failed to Initialize
          Carl Sun Level 4

I don't understand what "I have tried the update (did not install)" means, but I suppose this issue should be resolved if you update Extension Manager to 7.1.1. The patch can be found at Adobe Extension Manager Updates Downloads. BTW, are you in a corporate network and is "H:\" a network mapped drive?

• 2. Re: Failed to Initialize
            EDA Level 1

when i try and run the update, it says this:

updatefailed.JPG

creative cloud says that extension manager is up to date.

i have updated other software within CC suite fine, so this error seems isolated to extension manager.

and yes, I am on a corporate network, and H:/ is mapped. (its a username-specific folder on the server.)

• 3. Re: Failed to Initialize
              Carl Sun Level 4

Your network administrator has blocked the update. Please right click "Adobe Extension Manager CC.exe" in Windows Explorer then click "Properties", check the product version in "Details" tabpage. It should be 7.1.1.32 if your installation is up to date.

• 4. Re: Failed to Initialize
                EDA Level 1

product version is showing as 7.0.0.347, which is odd since creative cloud is showing it as up-to-date..

every installation has been done from within creative cloud..

if I remove the current version, is there a place i can download a current and up-to-date installer ?

• 5. Re: Failed to Initialize
                  Carl Sun Level 4

The corporate network issue was fixed in 7.1.0. So 7.0.0.347 doesn't contain this fix.

Please try to remove this version, then install EM again within Creative Cloud.

• 6. Re: Failed to Initialize
                    EDA Level 1

Uninstalled. Restarted. Reinstalled via Creative Cloud panel.

still doesnt work.

Creative cloud shows as up-to-date:

extman.JPG

but getting the same error when i open it, and the version is still showing as 7.0.0.347:

version.JPG

the patch you suggested still doesnt install either, despite being logged in as admin..

• 7. Re: Failed to Initialize
                      Carl Sun Level 4

Please contact your network administrator because "Updates have been suppressed by the Administrator."

• 8. Re: Failed to Initialize
                        ned.wilde

Why does Adobe Creative Cloud not ship with the latest version? I have the same issue as EDA and unfortunately "Contact your network administrator" isn't really an answer to fixing the issue. Are there any other paths to getting the latest version for Extension Manager?

• 9. Re: Failed to Initialize
                          EDA Level 1

Similarly, I can assure you that updates have NOT been suppressed by the administrator.

I am still in the position that Extension Manager cannot be run.

If Creative Cloud installed the actual up-to-date version, the problem would be solved.

• 10. Re: Failed to Initialize
                            Carl Sun Level 4

We tested the installation via Creative Cloud multiple times. The latest version of Extension Manager CC was installed. This issue should be related to your local environment. Please send "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\Adobe Extension Manager CC 7.X XX-XX-2014.log.gz" to exman.beijing@gmail.com. You can also check the log file yourself after unzipping it.

• 11. Re: Failed to Initialize
                              Carl Sun Level 4

According to the log, it seemed that you have installed EM three times. There are errors in the second time but no error in the last time. I will contact other teams to investigate this issue.

• 12. Re: Failed to Initialize
                                Carl Sun Level 4

Hi EDA and ned.wilde,

Please send the following log files to exman.beijing@gmail.com.

aamu.log

Win: %LocalAppdata%\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\   (%LocalAppdata% is environment variable defined on all windows from Vista onwards. Typing this on run dialogue or navigation bar of any open explorer window will take you to correct folder which usually is located at \Users\{current_user}\AppData\Local)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/   (~ denotes the currently logged in user’s directory on mac. The Library folder under it is hidden. The easiest way to get to it is to use the “Go to Folder” option of “Go” menu of finder. Type the full path there exactly as I typed here including ~ symbol).

ACC.log and PDApp.log

Win: %TEMP%   (%TEMP% is environment variable defined on all windows. Typing this on run dialogue or navigation bar of any open explorer window will take you to correct folder which usually is located at \Users\{current_user}\AppData\Local\Temp)

Mac: ~/Library/Logs/   (~ denotes the currently logged in user’s directory on mac. The Library folder under it is hidden. The easiest way to get to it is to use the “Go to Folder” option of “Go” menu of finder. Type the full path there exactly as I typed here including ~ symbol).

• 14. Re: Failed to Initialize
                                  Carl Sun Level 4

Hi ned.wilde and EDA,

I sent your log files to other team to investigate. The feedback is as follows. I suppose your network administrators have only finished half of work. They disabled the update via Adobe server but didn't setup local update server in your corporate network.

==============================================

In both these logs, ACC.log clearly says:

| ACC | ProductsAppsBL | ReadUpdatesPref |  | ProductsAppsBL | 6168 | Updates are suppressed! Removing Updates tab

PDApp.log echoes the same:

| ASU | UWANative | UWANative |  |  | 8384 | Updater is suppressed

These are enterprise users and should contact his/her IT administrator to get the updates who used to push packages on the system to get the updates.

The presence of files as detailed in http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/disable-auto-updates-application-manager.html will confirm the same.

• 15. Re: Failed to Initialize
                                    EDA Level 1

I deleted the file suggested in the link you sent:

Mac OS<Startup Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat
                                    Windows XP and Higher C:\Program files\common files\adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0\AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat
                                    Windows XP and higher (64-bit)

C:\Program files(x86)\common files\adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0\AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

And the update installed fine.

The link you sent referenced CS5, and this machine has had every version since CS4 installed, so maybe at some point updates got suppressed. Weirdly most other CC applications updates installed fine.

Regardless, extension manager is up-to-date and opens correctly on my machine.

Thanks!