4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 9:37 PM by The Tron

Can I crop a PIP video, so it appears a portrait video (tall and narrow) over my normal video?

The Tron

Can I crop a PIP video, so it appears a portrait video (tall and narrow) over my normal video?  Or insert a portrait PIP video - without black bars appearing on either side filling in a widescreen preset?

• 1. Re: Can I crop a PIP video, so it appears a portrait video (tall and narrow) over my normal video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tron

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

The following is a screenshot from Premiere Elements 12 Windows. Is what is displayed there what you are seeking?

Crop.JPG

More details please so that we can fine tune the reply and how to.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I crop a PIP video, so it appears a portrait video (tall and narrow) over my normal video?
            The Tron Level 1

Thanks ATR,

I am operating a Macpro OSX 10.9.2. 

Currently using Imovie 10.0.3. 

iMovie only allows for a widesreen PIP, any tall/narrow PIP image/video is changed to a widescreen setting by either:

- Trimming the top/bottom of the image/video

- Adding a black border to fill in the side gaps of a tall/narrow image/video

I will purchase ANY(!) of the Mac pro compatible Premiere's that will allow me to:

- Insert an unadulterated tall/narrow image/video as a PIP i.e. isn't changed to a widescreen setting

- Or crop a 'widescreen' image/video PIP to become a tall/narrow (or portrait) PIP

I can see the PIP image you've provided is tall and narrow - which is what I'm looking for! 

1. Does this work for both images and video?

2. Can the image (and video) be cropped further to make it even narrower or change to a 'square' shape etc?

3. Can the PIP shape still be:

- Scaled up/down

- Be placed anywhere on screen

- Move dynamically across/around the screen - using the push and enhanced PIP settings?

Thanks

The Tron

• 3. Re: Can I crop a PIP video, so it appears a portrait video (tall and narrow) over my normal video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tron

After you apply the Crop effect (fx Effects/Transform/Crop), you edit the Crop effect under Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Crop Panel expanded which is placed there once you apply the Crop effect to the clip. Please see screenshot for the Crop Panel expanded sliders which allow for cropping as you want.

Good idea to look at the Premiere Elements 12 Mac tryout to make sure that the program is compatible with you computer environment and meets your video needs.

If you do the cropping with the Crop effect, you should not have to use the PiP presets under fx Effects/Presets for any of this. The Crop effects works on stills and videos. The program comes with an Expert and Quick workspace. For the fx Effects Transform Crop, see the Expert workspace.

It would appear that yes to your questions. But, definitely do not buy until you have checked out the tryout.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I crop a PIP video, so it appears a portrait video (tall and narrow) over my normal video?
                The Tron Level 1

Fantastic thanks ATR, I'll give the tryout a tryout a go - I'll update this feed with my results!