6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 2:48 PM by film man 24

DSLR footage require pulldown?

film man 24 Level 1

Specifically, on a Canon t3i footage. Upon final export under the advance settings, you have the option to select pull down in either  2:3 or 3:2 or none. Provided you shoot in 23.976 fps 1920x1080 and are exporting in 1920x1080 23.976fps, how would one get the best results? Which pulldown option should be should be selected? This is a spescreen shot.jpgcific screen shot of the option I am talking about

• 1. Re: DSLR footage require pulldown?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what you're going to do with the footage you output, fm.

Do you plan to post it to YouTube or a  similar site, turn it into a DVD or BluRay, use it as source video in another project?

The point is not to match your original source's specs as much as possible. The point is to create a file optimized for whatever medium you plan to use it in.

• 2. Re: DSLR footage require pulldown?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

film man 24

Point of clarification request...you talk about screenshot being specific for your situation which you say is import 1920 x 1080 @ 23.976 progressive frames per second  to export 1920 x 1080 @ 23.976 progressive frames per second. Then what is your explanation for your screenshot showing Export Settings' Summary with 29.97 progressive frames per second?

ATR

• 3. Re: DSLR footage require pulldown?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

film man 24

Summary

Interesting question that led me to dig deeper into the details. The 24p export's Advanced Settings do present with "pulldown" options of None, 2:3, or 3:2. The pop up description is the same for each of them, that is, "None (interlaced source), 2:3 (progressive source), and 3:2 (24p source going to NTSC)" Based on all that, I would not have been drawn to the decision to use "None". The bottom line is, whether whatever "pulldown" was set at in the export settings, the quality of the export looked the same to me...good.

What I am still trying to work at understanding is the factoring in of the Playback Settings "24p Conversion Method" which is supposed to be adding a pulldown to the file for edit of the file in standard frame rate of 25 or 30 frames per second. There are 2 methods to choice from Repeat Frame and Interlaced Frame (Interlaced Frame appears to be the default and 3:2 type). The answer that I am trying to drag out is whether this added pulldown (24 to 30) is for just editing purposes (previewing) or whether it actually changes the frame rate from 24 to 30 which might require a removal of the pulldown for the export.

Further details if interested

I downloaded a Canon t3i sample (1280 x 720 @ 23.974 progressive frames per second) and imported that into a Premiere Elements 10 DSLR/720p/DSLR 720p24 project. Then I headed for Share/Computer/MPEG and its preset = HDTV 720p24 High Quality. Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, I created 3 customized 23.976 p export presets. The essential difference between the 3 was in "pulldown" - one was set for None, the second set for 2:3, and the third set for 3:2.

I could see no difference in the quality of the playback between the resulting 3 MPEG2.mpg files. But, I did see some curious data when I view the MediaInfo video properties readout for each of those exports and the original import.

When Pulldown: None

Frame Rate: 23.976 frames per second

Scan Type: Progressive

When Pulldown: 2:3

and now an addition

Scan Order: 2:3

When Pulldown: 3:2

and again an addition

Scan Order, but not 3:2, instead 2:3

The original import

In spite of the temption to go with what looks the best, the technical answer and Adobe execution of it are interesting. But, to point out, this pulldown decision appears to be restricted to the 24p export choices and would not be involved if you were to export your 24p original to something other than a 24p export choice.

ATR

• 4. Re: DSLR footage require pulldown?
                film man 24 Level 1

Thanks for pointing that out. The reason why it says the source clip says 29.97 is because the video I brought was a already finished project, it was exported using those setting. I just wanted bring some footage in so I could get to the share option tab and show you the screen/option that I am talking about. This is a better screen shot  addressing your concern

antoher acreenshot.jpg

-STEVE- Thanks. I have been trying to take general nature shots to build a "stock footage" library. Having said that, I'm young and have the wild dream of doing a indie film that would be shown in a movie house/festival. Being a one man crew I thought I better start gathering "establishing" scene shots while I have access to them. For example, when I visit the ocean I try to use that opportunity to get some shots so I can insert the clip into my short movie and give the impression that my characters are actually there at that location. So if a scene calls for that specific shot, I already have it. I don't the money to fly out and get a shot of the ocean or whatever... I can barley afford my camera gear haha

After a little background of where I am coming from, I wan't to standardize all my footage. With the delusional dream of actually producing something that people would want to seek out an go view. I'm a little confused what settings I should export in, given my ambitious dream... I guess to answer your question... ultimately having my footage shown in the Movie House What would be the best pulldown option/options for this? Unless you have another suggestion. I'm completely open to anyone's suggestions in the direction I should be move forward in achieving the best way to archive my footage for later use. Please share!!

• 5. Re: DSLR footage require pulldown?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm interested in ATR's thoughts -- but I don't think you should use any pull-down at all.

• 6. Re: DSLR footage require pulldown?
                    film man 24 Level 1

That's what I was thinking. I have decided to turn pull-down off when exporting 24fps. Unless some says differently...

Very interesting A.T.R.. The result you got are perplexing, thank you for sharing that data.