7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 5:51 PM by Peter Spier

How do I get inDesign to quit crashing when I try to open a damaged document?

crazygecko

Alright, I'm in a bit of a pinch and behind on deadline because of something completely random and out of the blue happening with inDesign. Here's what happened:

I was working on a magazine layout and printed out a PDF draft. The draft looked normal. I saved, shut my computer, walked away, and came back 30 minutes later to find that 9 pages had gone almost completely blank - even the locked layers were gone. I checked the layers and they were still locked. I thought my content had gotten erased somehow. Then I looked again and saw an overseer text symbol in the middle of one of the spreads. I clicked it and was able to enlarge it somewhat. Doing this gave me the spinning color wheel of doom (I have a Mac running off of Maverick now), and every little zoom and mouse movement gave this result that lasted about 3 minutes at a time. I tried saving again (got the spinning color wheel of doom), then shut down inDesign, and tried again. Same thing happened, only this time I got an automatic recovery notice when it opened. Everything else looked normal. I noticed that the content that had been squished was actually also at a skewed angle as well, like it had been rotated at some strange 3D plane. The story board would also expand to 10 times the normal size every time I tried to move the skewed, overset content. I shut everything down again and restarted my computer. Only this time, whenever I tried to open the problematic document, it would give me the auto recovery request, then promptly crash when I clicked "Yes" for auto recover. I tried multiple times now to open the document, thinking maybe I could just wipe those pages and start over again, but it crashes every time.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I have no idea how this happened, and now it seems like I'm going to loose the entire document, about 40 hours of work. As far as I know, nobody else was near my computer in the 30 minutes it took me to shut it and open it back up again.

Help!

Can anybody shed some light onto this situation? Honestly, I'd be happy to just be able to open the document again so I can erase those problem pages and re-do them... I took screen shots of what inDesign was doing before it crashed:

Here you can see that the "P" in the upper left is all twisted, the same way my content is:

Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 8.49.05 PM.png

This is a zoomed-out image of how big the storyboard would become when I tried to tweak that overset text/ content...

Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 2.17.21 PM.png