13 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 9:52 PM by JJMack

Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom

flyfishdds Level 1

Does Photoshop always convert the adjusted RAW image to a jpeg for printing, while Lightroom always prints as a Raw file after making adjustments?

• 1. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop is a document editor it prints the document open in Photoshop.  It does not print a file.  You can actually open a RAW into Photoshop through ACR as a smart object  layer or a background layer in 16bit color and Print then close the document without saving.  A RGB Image file was never created all you have is your RAW file your ACR settings and your print. Jpeg also does not support 16bit color and I think all printer device driver are 8bit driver.  What need to be done gets done and you can have either Photoshop handle color management or the Printer driver mange the color or get a mess up print and have both set to handle colors. I have no idea as to what the data format  is between and application and a printer.   There are may image file formats you need an application the can decode the formats to and print.   Device drivers also may be able to decode some image file formats for I seem to remember  in DOS I can copy a txt and jpg files to LPT1:.

• 2. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
            flyfishdds Level 1

Thanks, How is this different from the way Lightroom prints, or is there any difference?  While attending a photography workshop this past weekend, I was told that Lightroom was far superior to print from that PS.  I haven't found this to be the case myself.  What are your thoughts as to ACR >PS, vs LR for printing?

• 3. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom

You will be told many things in life some will be correct some not.  I could easily state LR is inferior to all true image processing application that support layers like Photoshop and many other.  For me that may even be correct others will go ballistic over a statement like that.

This is how I see thing other opinion will differ  for what is best  or superior is often opinionated.

I don't download LR for it has a different UI for Adobe Raw conversion engine then ACR and seems to want to create 16 bit Tiff files to be open in Photoshop.  If it opens a RAW file into Photoshop as a smart object layer and I want to create a second independent raw conversion I have to open the duplicated independent smart object layer to change the conversion setting and ACR will open not LR for LR is not a plugin. LR could process the temp RAW file created by Photoshop for the smart object. Adobe should make a version of LR develop module a Photoshop plugin and mark the conversion setting made by the develop module.  Why should one need to learn two RAW conversion user interfaces.  .

Yet I state that LR has superior image organization than the Bridge.  I'm not that organizes that I want many different file organizers. Some with database type querying. I just use Windows File Explorer.  I do use the bridge occasionally to edit metadata and to process a large number of RAW files in groups that look like they have similar exposures in the Bridges preview thumbnails.  Personally I find LR and Bridges import slow and painful.  I do other things while the bridge imports raw file builds previews and populates it cache.  I also cull RAW file before point Bridge at them.    You need to develop you own workflow and evaluate what your told which you seem to be doing now.   That gray stuff between you ears seems to be functioning well to me.

• 4. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

flyfishdds wrote:

While attending a photography workshop this past weekend, I was told that Lightroom was far superior to print from that PS.  I haven't found this to be the case myself.

The printing workflow in Lightroom is superior to printing in Photoshop since in LR you can create templates that saves time and reduces errors. There are also a number of enhancements such as margin setting, multi-print and packages that make printing easier from LR. In LR you can also automatically apply output sharpening–in Photoshop you must do that manually. In Photoshop, all settings must be done each time you print. So the workflow from Photoshop is very inefficient...

However, in terms of potential print quality, both apps are capable of the same printed results...personally, I almost always print from Lightroom.

• 5. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom

As I wrote you will see much written and be tolled may things you need to evaluate all.  I know I have created many templates for Photoshop that are impossible to do with LR. I find what Jeff has written for know quite a bit about Photoshop.  Perhaps he will learn to use some of the features he seems to have forgotten like data driven graphics.  Lightroon is more a image developer and printer the an image editor.  When it come to image editing LR falls short.

Here are a couple of sample template I have created for Photoshop.

Collage_1_4_6x4+FDNYonTopG.jpg

PngSoccerball.png

• 6. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
                    flyfishdds Level 1

Thanks, I'll check these out when I get back home.  My iPhone isn't cutting it for this

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
                      Level 7

Photoshop and Lightroom print almost identically.  It sounds like someone was poorly informed when claiming that Lightroom is somehow superior for printing.

Photoshop does remember your settings when printing, on a per document basis and a last used basis (for default when the document has no print settings).

And as already explained - no, Photoshop doesn't convert to JPEG or anything like that, unless you saved as JPEG and reopened the JPEG yourself.

• 8. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom

Video demo  Automaticly Populate a 911 Photo Collage Template

Photo Collage Toolkit UPDATED Made Rotate for Best Fit an option in PasteImageRoll.jsx Edit to customize your default settings.
                        Photoshop scripting is powerful and I believe this package demonstrates this.
                        The package includes four simple rules to follow when making Photo Collage Template PSD files so they will be compatible with my Photoshop scripts.

The Four Rules

1. Size the photo collage templates for the print size you want - width, height and print DPI resolution.
                        2. Photo collage templates must have a Photoshop background layer. The contents of this layer can be anything.
                        3. Photo collage templates must have alpha channels named "Image 1", "Image 2", ... "Image n".
                        4. Photo collage templates layers above the background layers must provide transparent areas to let the images that will be placed below them show through.

There are twelve scripts in this package they provide the following functions:

1. TestCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to test a Photo Collage Template while you are making it with Photoshop.
                          2. CollageTemplateBuilder.jsx - Can build Templates compatible with this toolkit's scripts.
                          3. LayerToAlphaChan.jsx - Used to convert a Prototype Image Layer stack into a template document.
                          4. InteractivePopulateCollage.jsx - Used to interactively populate Any Photo Collage template. Offers most user control inserting pictures and text.
                          5. ReplaceCollageImage.jsx - use to replace a populated collage image Smart Object layer with an other image correctly resized and positioned.
                          6. ChangeTextSize.jsx - This script can be used to change Image stamps text size when the size used by the populating did not work well.
                          7. PopulateCollageTemplate.jsx - Used to Automatically populate a Photo Collage template and leave the populated copy open in Photoshop.
                          8. BatchOneImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Collage templates that only have one image inserted. The Collage or Image may be stamped with text.
                          9. BatchMultiImageCollage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with images in a source image folder. Easier to use than the interactive script. Saved collages can be tweaked.
                          10. BatchPicturePackage.jsx - Used to Automatically Batch Populate Any Photo Collage template with an image in a source image folder
                          11. PasteImageRoll.jsx - Paste Images into a document to be print on roll paper.
                          12. PCTpreferences.jsx - Edit This File to Customize Collage Populating scripts default setting and add your own Layer styles.

Documentation and Examples

Optional templates 8.5x11 - 16MB
                        Optional templates 8x10 - 51KB
                        Optional templates 11x14 - 23MB
                        Optional templates 12x12 - 12MB
                        Optional templates 13x19 - 37MB
                        Optional templates 16x16 - 4MB
                        Optional templates 16x20 - 91MB
                        Optional templates 20x24 - 125KB
                        Optional templates Multi-Image - 113MB
                        Optional templates One-Image - 106MB
                        Optional templates PhotoBoard-11x14 - 231KB

• 9. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom

LR lack features when it come down to it can not do layouts as well as Photoshop.  However LR output module try to make it easy for users to print.  I do not use LR and I do not use Bridge CC output module.  Bridge CC output module is even a separate download from Adobe which is not installed by default.  So I can not state if one is better than the other. I do not know don't use either I just use Photoshop Print dialog and Photoshop automation for laying out images.

Without proper Photoshop knowledge it may well be easier to use LR and Bridges out put modules for printing.

• 10. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Oh, I know how to use Photoshop...but I still prefer to print out of Lightroom (kinda biased since I worked with the LR team to help develop the Print module and the output sharpening was based on the routines from PhotoKit Sharpener–which I had a bit to do with).

• 11. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
                              flyfishdds Level 1

Thanks!  Those are very nice and helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

• 12. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom
                                flyfishdds Level 1

Sent from my iPhone

• 13. Re: Print quality from Photoshop compared to Lightroom

I know you know Photoshop that is why what you wrote surprised me.   You can have all the biased you want but please don't state LR is superior to printing in Photoshop for you know the truth is Photoshop can do layouts impossible to do in LR. It may be harder then LR Print module but then LR Print module lacks capabilities that Photoshop has for LR editing is nowhere near as powerful as Photoshop.