12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 2:12 PM by A.T. Romano

DVD Copy Protection

Peter Mayhew

This may be outside the scope of the Adobe communities, but I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and I would like to protect DVDs produced from unauthorised coping. This is mainly for charity work and looking to keep any costs low.

Could you please recommend how this can be done with the native adobe software? If this cannot be done with Adobe, then can you recommend additional software which is cost effective for charity work.

Thank you in advance

Peter

• 1. Re: DVD Copy Protection
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Elements and Encore (bundled with Premiere Pro) will not do copy protection... below is a discussion for Encore, which is not particularly easy, and IS expensive since it must be done at a replication house (just like a Hollywood Movie Studio)

Copy Protect http://forums.adobe.com/message/2502996 -and the steps http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699278

• 2. Re: DVD Copy Protection
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

There is no way for Premiere Elements (any version) to protect your work. And, I would question that anything out there can truly protect your work.

I doubt if it would discourage many but you could create a copyright symbol in the Premiere Elements Titler and place the file on Video 2 over the content on Video 1. The copyright symbol can be entered in the Titler Text section by holding down the Alt key and using the numeric keyboard 0169. Here is an example where I lowered the Opacity of the file once I closed the Titler.

Copyright.JPG

If you prefer, you can create a copyright symbol in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as a .png file and import the .png file into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders.

ATR

• 3. Re: DVD Copy Protection
              buzal

Peter,

Use third-party solutions like DVD-RX.

BZL

• 4. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                A.T. Romano Level 7

BZL

Have you tried this third-party solution that you mention? If so, is it done before or after export (burn to DVD disc)?

ATR

• 5. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                  buzal Level 1

ATR,

I tried the free lite version that needs some modifications before exporting. If I'm not mistaken the fee-based professional solutions don't require special modifications.

BZL

• 6. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                    FTL2063 Level 1

There is no such thing as copy protection.

There are methods that some studios utilize to make it slightly more difficult to copy a disk.  But some movie studios are dropping copy protection, they realize it's a waste of time.

Put a copyright notice printed on the disc itself as well as at the beginning of your movie.

• 7. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

buzal

Thanks for the reply.

The reason that I asked about this suggested program's action before vs after Premiere Elements burn to disc is related to a vague recollection that I have about problems with the burn to disc related to the presence of this type of program in the computer environment.

I need to see if I can find the thread that I think that I remember. But, if you used the program for Premiere Elements burn to disc (DVD or Blu-ray) and had no problems that would be interesting information.

ATR

• 8. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

I tend to agree with ftl2063. Those who really are intent on copying your disc content will find a way to do that. Your control of the situation seems to be how hard you want to make if for them to do.

If the copyright symbol inclusion in your disc content is a consideration, please refer back to my post 2.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                          buzal Level 1

ATR,

I haven't had any problems. I patched the ISO image after exporting and burned this to disc.

BZL

• 10. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

buzal

Thanks for the reply. Glad no problems.

My recollection on burn problems related to the type of copyright protection program that you mentioned targets back to the Chapter Overflow issue for the Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray that surfaced in a prior Premiere Elements version. The Chapter Overflow issue never did seem to have just one fix.

ATR

• 11. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                              buzal Level 1

ATR,

Third-party solution that I mentioned has no reference to the authoring program. Protection can be implemented in the ISO-image stage only.

BZL

• 12. Re: DVD Copy Protection
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

buzal

Thanks. That is important information.

ATR