7 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2014 7:18 AM by A.T. Romano

why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?

MASMAS

I've just installed Windows 8 and also purchased Premiere Elements 12.

I've also got Windows movie maker.

When I play my clips in Premiere Elements, they audio and video start of synced, but quickly go out. This doesn't happen with Windows Movie Maker and I had trialed some NCH video editing software also and didn't have that problem.

can someone tell me what I need to do to get this working right?

• 1. Re: why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mastmas

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

Please supply more details in order for us to help you.

a. What are the properties (video and audo) of the clips involved in this issue?

A start might be the brand/model/settings for the camera recording these clips. Are you ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

b. What is the project preset that you or the program are settings for the project to match the properties of these source media?

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

c. Are you looking at and hearing the rendered or unrendered Timeline content?

When you are playing back the Timeline content in the Edit area, is there an orange line over the content?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?
            MASMAS Level 1

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The clips were recorded on an ipad. The same clips worked in windows movie maker without the syncing issue.

I'm not sure what project preset I should have? I'm a bit of a novice.

I published the movie to you tube to see if the final product still had the syncing issue and it did.. so it's not just in play back.

Anything else you can think of to direct me would be great. Thanks

• 3. Re: why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MASMAS

The first thing that we need to know are the properties of what you are putting on the Timeline. What works in another software does not necessarily work in Premiere Elements. Each program has its own supported formats.

a. What is the file extension for this file? .MOV or .MP4?

b. Does the iPad describe it as 1080p or 720p?

c. If you open Premiere Elements 12 and go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what do you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if those field appear to be grayed out.

Two immediate troubleshooting avenues are going to be in the direction of...

a. Project settings not set up to match the properties of the source from the iPad. Then we would start a new project and set the project setting manually before importing your video. Details for manually setting the project preset are in the following.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

b. The iPad video being recorded with a variable frame rate instead of a constant one...the remedy then would probably be to take your video in a program like HandBrake to change the variable to a constant frame rate. And after that, import the corrected video into the Premiere Elements project which has the correct project preset (preferably set manual to assure the correct result).

Please see what you can put together in the way of video details, and we will sort this out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?
                MASMAS Level 1

Thank you!

The file extension is .MOV

This is the information I got from properties when I right clicked on the file (I've copied the file from a friends ipad to my desktop so I don't know the ipad's actual settings

Video

Frame Width 1280

Frame height 720

Data rate 10546 kbps

Total bitrate 10609kbps

Frame rate 24 frames/second

Audio

Bit rate 63kbps

Channels 1 (mono)

Audio sample rate 44 kHz

I have to go out in a little while, but what I will do when I get back is test it using a video clip from my phone or camera (ie another source) and see if the same thing happens.

• 5. Re: why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MASMAS

For troubleshooting purposes, let us assume that the video is characterized by a variable frame rate instead of a constant one.

1. Download and install the free HandBrake program.

http://handbrake.fr/

Source

Import your 1280 x 720 video

Then where it says "Chapters", I set for seconds

Destination

Browse to and set your save location for the file to be processed

Container

Mp4

Picture Tab

Leave As Is

Video Tab

Video Codec H.264 (x264)

Framerate (FPS) 23.976

and dot next to Constant Framerate

Hit Start Button at top right of workspace

Wait for "Queue Finished" in the progress bar at the bottom left of the workspace.

Then determine if this H.264.mp4 file works for you in Premiere Elements project set with the manually set project preset of

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD-LITE 720p24

This should rule in or out a possible variable frame rate being at the core of the problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?
                    MASMAS Level 1

putting it through that handbrake program worked!!!!! I'm so happy!!! thank you!!

• 7. Re: why do my audio and video start in sync, then quickly go out of sync?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MASMAS

Just starting my day and am very glad for your success. Great news. Great job.

Your follow up is much appreciated, and your results will be helpful to all.

Please let us know if you have further questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR