1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2014 8:05 AM by Scorpio17523

Javascript help for Inserting Pages

Scorpio17523 Level 1

First of all, thank you to everyone helping me try to work this out.

Please be patient with me as I'm new to scripting and a complete beginner that only understands the basics.

Ok, so, I'm working on a side project for where I work. The aim is to develop a script that will allow users to run it and automatically add 4 pages at a time. These pages will be in Spreads (Facing pages).

We (the company) print booklets of a sort, and due to printing in Printers Spreads, this is how all our templates are setup. This isn't necessarily how it should be done, or how I would setup the templates, but that's how it is and I have to work with what I have.

Due to this, I can't use the build in feature that is already in InDesign for Smart Text Reflow, but this is basically what I set out to achieve.

I have been looking around the Internet for a while and found a few different scripts that are already out there that work to a certain degree, but not exactly how I need them to work.

Below I will demonstrate what I would like to achieve:

Below is an example of how we have our template set up.

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.02.27.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.02.35.png

All the scripts I have found and tried to adapt to what I want seem to do the following actions:

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.02.55.png

All they will do is add one page at a time and in the wrong place (this should be on the left, NOT the right).

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.20.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.24.png

When adding the second page (via the menu interface or by editing any script I find) the second page gets added like this:

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.36.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.39.png

Now I already know that this is due to how we have our templates setup, but I can't change that!

However, if the following functions is used via the interface menu, then the results work perfectly:

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.52.png

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.04.09.png

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.04.28.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.04.18.png

It's this function I'd like to reproduce but in script form:

Layout>Insert>Pages...

Pages 4

At End of Document.

If anyone could help shed some light on this, it would be extremely beneficial.

Current examples of scripts I've been experimenting with are:

myDocument = app.activeDocument
      myDocument.spreads.item(1).allowPageShuffle = true;
      var page=myDocument.spreads.item(1).pages.item(1);
      var pages= myDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.atEnd);
      var pages= myDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.atEnd);
      myDocument.spreads.item(1).allowPageShuffle = false;

Again, thank you in advance.

Sam