1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2014 8:05 AM by Scorpio17523

Javascript help for Inserting Pages

Scorpio17523

First of all, thank you to everyone helping me try to work this out.

Please be patient with me as I'm new to scripting and a complete beginner that only understands the basics.

Ok, so, I'm working on a side project for where I work. The aim is to develop a script that will allow users to run it and automatically add 4 pages at a time. These pages will be in Spreads (Facing pages).

We (the company) print booklets of a sort, and due to printing in Printers Spreads, this is how all our templates are setup. This isn't necessarily how it should be done, or how I would setup the templates, but that's how it is and I have to work with what I have.

Due to this, I can't use the build in feature that is already in InDesign for Smart Text Reflow, but this is basically what I set out to achieve.

I have been looking around the Internet for a while and found a few different scripts that are already out there that work to a certain degree, but not exactly how I need them to work.

Below I will demonstrate what I would like to achieve:

Below is an example of how we have our template set up.

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.02.27.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.02.35.png

All the scripts I have found and tried to adapt to what I want seem to do the following actions:

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.02.55.png

All they will do is add one page at a time and in the wrong place (this should be on the left, NOT the right).

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.20.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.24.png

When adding the second page (via the menu interface or by editing any script I find) the second page gets added like this:

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.36.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.39.png

Now I already know that this is due to how we have our templates setup, but I can't change that!

However, if the following functions is used via the interface menu, then the results work perfectly:

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.03.52.png

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.04.09.png

Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.04.28.pngScreen shot 2014-05-13 at 15.04.18.png

It's this function I'd like to reproduce but in script form:

Layout>Insert>Pages...

Pages 4

At End of Document.

If anyone could help shed some light on this, it would be extremely beneficial.

Current examples of scripts I've been experimenting with are:

myDocument = app.activeDocument
      myDocument.spreads.item(1).allowPageShuffle = true;
      var page=myDocument.spreads.item(1).pages.item(1);
      var pages= myDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.atEnd);
      var pages= myDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.atEnd);
      myDocument.spreads.item(1).allowPageShuffle = false;

Again, thank you in advance.

Sam