6 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2014 11:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Unable to view Premiere Elements on my second monitor (attached to my laptop)

laurelgr

No "playback settings" option shows up under project settings (which seems to be the way to resolve this?) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Unable to view Premiere Elements on my second monitor (attached to my laptop)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

laurelgr

Since you mention no Playback Settings, I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 12. On what computer operating system is it running?

What type of connect are you making between the laptop and the external computer monitor? For that matter, are you using instead a TV screen as this second monitor?

And, please describe the Computer's Display settings for this dual monitor system.

Let me back up for the moment, just what can you not view of Premiere Elements - all of it or nothing except the Timeline panel?

Please supply the requested details and then we will decide what next based on them.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unable to view Premiere Elements on my second monitor (attached to my laptop)
            laurelgr Level 1

Yes, I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (I just recently installed it). It's Windows 7 Professional on a Lenovo laptop. It will let me view the whole window on my main (laptop screen) but when I pull it over to the extended desktop (a monitor attached to the laptop) it will only let me see it (the whole window is visible at first) at the same size (e.g., won't let me view it in fullscreen mode3 or even make it slightly larger, it just bounces back to the laptop). Whenever I try to resize the program on the second monitor, it bounces back to the laptop's primary screen (when I have it in the extend setting). I just discovered it will let me duplicate the screens but that doesn't give me the functionality of having separate windows open on the two screens. I've never had this problem with any of the other Adobe products (I have Illustrator/InDesign/Photoshop etc.) The second monitor (no, not a TV screen, it's a HP L1940T) is quite old but given that it will allow me to view PE in the duplicate setting, it seems less likely that is the issue (?)

• 3. Re: Unable to view Premiere Elements on my second monitor (attached to my laptop)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

laurelgr

I have just looked at what you described for your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 Professional.

In my case, I used Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop.

Independent of Premiere Elements 12, the Control Panel Display offered 4 choices

1. Duplicate these displays

2. Extend these displays

3. Show desktop only on 1

4. Show desktop only on 2

There were no problems with "Duplicate these displays" except monitor 2 had full screen whereas monitor 1 did not. At this point, non adjustable.This was the case whether Premiere Elements was involved or not involved. And, I do not see this choice as worthwhile for the limited functionality of the Premiere Elements 12 Window Menu/Dual Monitor feature.You end up with each monitor showing the Timeline panel with no where to go.

Now if you select Extend these displays, this probably is more intended for the Premiere Elements Dual Monitor feature. You get both monitors, each full screen view. However, monitor 2 has only the Taskbar at the bottom of its monitor screen. For details on the Premiere Elements dual monitor feature, please refer to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Dual Monitor Workflow Concerns

Please review and then we can discuss this further.

If the feature that you seek is not there for you in Premiere Elements 12, please remember to get your money back under the Adobe 30 day money back if you purchased the product from Adobe.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unable to view Premiere Elements on my second monitor (attached to my laptop)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

laurelgr

Add On..

The connection between my laptop and the external monitor was VGA.

ATR

• 5. Re: Unable to view Premiere Elements on my second monitor (attached to my laptop)
                  laurelgr Level 1

Thank you. That helped resolve this particular issue. Apparently the dual monitor functionality (which HAS to be turned on for me to be able to view the project on my second screen with extend vs. duplicate) is not available when you are using the "quick" option. It is an option under "expert". Sort of odd if you ask me. Yes, duplicate isn't very useful, I just was playing with it to see what would and wouldn't work.

• 6. Re: Unable to view Premiere Elements on my second monitor (attached to my laptop)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

laurelgr

Thank you for the follow up information that the immediate dual monitor issue is resolved.

The Expert workspace has more program features than does the Quick workspace. Typically I stay in the Expert workspace since I find it easier to see what is going on and thus have more control. And, there are times when workflow seen in the Expert workspace is not seen in the Quick workspace. Consequently, I often write go with the Expert workspace, but, if you prefer the Quick, beware of the differences, and just do not toggle between the two.

If you have not already done so, please update 12 to 12.1 Update via the Expert workspace Help Menu/Update. The irony of all this is that, as 12, there is a Text Style issue in the Expert workspace but not in the Quick workspace. Before the 12.1 Update, the workaround for that was to go to the Quick workspace and then back to the Expert workspace. The 12.1 Update fixed that problem.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: 12.1 Update Released

Best wishes as you move forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR