11 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2014 12:20 PM by Finewoodcutter

indexing

Finewoodcutter

I have a Dell XPS 420 running Win 7.  I have used Premiere Elements 10 in the past until I had problems involving the Premiere Elements monitor window.  I upgraded my video card to the latest level and installed the trial version of Premiere Elements 12.  Everything seemed to work fine, so I purchased the upgrade and removed the trial banner.  When I try to burn the video I created in Premiere Elements 12 to Disc, whether to DVD, AVCHD (which is what I want) or Folder, a box comes up that says "Indexing".  I let it run all night with no activity on the progress bar.  I disabled indexing on my C: and G: drives where my video files and scratch disks are located and I get the same result.  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Charles

• 1. Re: indexing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles

When are you getting this endless indexing message, after you hit the Burn button in the Burn dialog?

If so, what does the Burn dialog Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Where are the source media that went into the project saved?

And, what are the properties of these source media? Is your project preset set to match the properties of the source media?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: indexing
            Finewoodcutter Level 1

A.T.,

I am getting the indexing box after I go to Publish/Share, select AVCHD (or DVD), Burn to Disc (or folder 4.7GB), Presets:  H264, 1920 x 1080i, NTSC dolby,

Quality:  space req'd 1.75GB Bit rate 15.59Mbps then press the Burn button.  I have used these settings on previous videos in PrE 10 with no problems.  Usually when I hit Burn, I get the Encoding process.

Files are saved as follows:

Captured Video/Audio, Video/Audio previews are in C:  in PrE AutoSave folder.

Media Cache and Disc Encoding are in G:, an external Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex HDD with 1.54TB free.

My source media is what I have used in recent videos:  Canon SD870 IS standard photos that I reduce to 1000 x 750 pixels; Sony HDR-CX160 AVCHD video, HD 60i, 16:9 format, 1080i/480i, recorded High Quality FH, HD Quality

The PrE 12 Project Settings are:  Capture format HDV, Editing mode HD 1080i.

Additional info on my computer:  Dell XPS 420, 32 bit Quad CPU, 2.4GHz, 4GB Inst Ram, with Virtual Memory set to 10,000 MB.

Drive C: has 382 GB Free and my display adaptor is NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT at the most recent level.

Thanks,

Charles

• 3. Re: indexing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles

Direct each of the Scratch Disks categories found Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to the default location

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0. That should get the subfolder contents into the default location.

a. Only the preview files will be going to the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder there.

b. Only the conformed audio will be going to the Media Cache Files Folder there.

c. Only the AutoSave files will be going to the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSaves Folder there.

You do not want

Captured Video/Audio, Video/Audio previews are in C:  in PrE AutoSave folder.

See if that helps in a mini test run new project.

We can move things around later if necessary within limits.

If you have any large projects in the balance, archive them with the File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy option so that you do not run into any media disconnects with the proposed changes.

Please review and let me know if you are OK with the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: indexing
                Finewoodcutter Level 1

A.T.,

Let me see if I understand.

I will first archive two other projects I have.

Then, you want me to do a Save As to make a copy of my video project for a "new project" test.

Then, in the copy, for each of the 6 Scratch Discs (Capture Video, Capture Audio, Video Previews, Audio Previews, Media Cache, and Disc Encoding) you want me to set them into PE/12.0.

Is this correct?

Charles

• 5. Re: indexing
                  Finewoodcutter Level 1

A.T.,

I think I misunderstood.  Do you want me to create a new project, then set the 6 scratch disks to PrE//12.0 as a new test?

• 6. Re: indexing
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles

My main concern is that you do not damage your existing project(s) as we try to determine if those Scratch Disk locations are at the core of your problems with the endless indexing in the burn to area.

To project existing saved/closed projects, I proposed saving the project.prel (project file) for each and its imported media together, out of harms way. To do this, we would use the File Menu/Project Archiver.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

If you use that feature's Copy option, you will have a Copied..Folder saved to your computer hard drive. That folder will contain the project file and all the media that went into the project.

Once we know that the existing projects are safe, then it is safe to move things around for our mini test run...

1. Open a new project

2. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Discs and get those Scratch Disk categories all going to the same place, that default 12.0 Folder in the Adobe Folder as mentioned in a prior post.

3. Then import a few of your media and go for the burn to and determine if the indexing issue is still present.

Please let us know if you are OK with the details. Any need for clarification, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Looking forward to your progress. From what you described, those Scratch Disks locations seem a prime target for our troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: indexing
                      Finewoodcutter Level 1

AT,

You're on to it!

I archived two big related projects.

Then I created a new project setting the project location and all six scratch files to PrE/12.0, and added a variety of still photos and video from both my Canon camera and Sony camcorder to the new project.

I tried to burn an AVCHD to Disc and it went straight to "Encoding Media".  No more indexing!

So how might I move the location of my project and current scratch file settings since that seems to be the problem?

Thanks,

Charles

• 8. Re: indexing
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles

Great news. Great follow through on the troubleshooting.

If our next goal is to get those archived projects each to go to burn to without the indexing, let us try this...

For each, work out of the Copied Folder and the project media there. To open the project file, open the Copied Folder, then right click specifically on the project.prel file there and select Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 10.

When the project opens, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and direct all the categories to the locations as you just did successfully in the mini test run. Save close the project. Verification test....then go back to the Copied Folder, then right click on the project.prel file and select Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 10. When the project opens, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and make sure the Scratch Disks are all still directed to where you had set them. If so, then move on in the project.

Thereafter, for this particular project, to open it go to the Copied Folder and right click the project.prel in the Copied Folder. Do not be tempted to try to open anything else that is a project.prel file in the 10.0 Folder in the Premiere Elements Folder in the Adobe Folder in Documents in Libraries.

Make copy of Copied Folder as safety net if you feel that necessary. Should be OK.

ATR

• 9. Re: indexing
                          Finewoodcutter Level 1

AT,

You are GREAT!  Very knowledgeable and very helpful.  I have used PrE for a long time and I usually run into Transcoding problems, but never this indexing issue.  I never would have figured this out on my own.  I am very thankful for your willingness to help me.  This is the first time I have used the community forum.  My AVCHD video burned to disc just fine.

What I learned is that it is important to pay attention to where Scratch files are located.  I have read that there are cases, depending on computer hardware, where it is desirable to use multiple drives for the scratch files, but I wasn't aware of the default location you told me about.  That solved the problem for me.

For future projects, I will specify my 6 scratch files to the default location at the start of my project, Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.  Is this also the location I should specify for the Project location, the .prel file?

Thank you so much.

Charles

• 10. Re: indexing
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles

Thanks for the reply with the great news. You did great sorting through the information and making it work for you. Great job. That was not an easy task.

The saving of the project.prel file is another long story.

By default it is saved in that default location. That is fine if that is where you want it. And, probably best to leave it there. But, if there ever comes a time when you want to change the save location for the project.prel file, the Save In for the project.prel is in the new project dialog, not in the Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Typically the 11 or 12 user is not much involved in the new project dialog since the program automatically takes over the setting of the project preset in the new project dialog based on the properties of the first video file that you drag to the Timeline. That is one of the reasons, I prefer to set the project preset manually. I get to see the new project dialog and the Save In location. Usually it stays the same from project to project, but....

Another thought for another time, is setting up the Scratch Disk categories with Same As Project instead of the specified paths. This way, if the new project dialog Save In stays in the default location, all those other Scratch Disk categories with go to that same place.

Best wishes as your move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 11. Re: indexing
                              Finewoodcutter Level 1

A.T., thanks again for your great help.