3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 4:48 PM by Bill Gehrke

Sager NP9570 - After Effects/Premiere Pro/SpeedGrade

Serban

Hello everybody,

I want to buy a laptop that will double as my desktop.  I want to work in After Effects, handle 4k in Premiere Pro, color grade in SpeedGrade, and process audio files in Audition.  I’m new to video editing/effects/grading, having had under one year of evenings and weekends spent on many failed projects and learning the hard way how simple things are done.  That being said, I’ve never been an Apple guy (I think they’re overpriced for performance) so their laptops are out of the question for me. 

My laptop of interest right now is Sager NP9570.  Here’s my provisional build:

i7-4930K (6-core)

32GB Quad Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 880M GPU with 8GB GDDR5 Video Memory

SSD1 (OS and Adobe CC): 120GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive

SSD2 (raw footage): 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 Solid State Secondary Disk Drive

SSD3 (projects): 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 Solid State Secondary Disk Drive

The screen is 17.3” and I am thinking of going with the 72% NTSC matte screen option, instead of the 90% NTSC glossy version.  It’s not for wanting to work in blinding sun that I say this, but because I heard the 90% NTSC screen can wreck damage to your grading (please let me know if I’m wrong).

I should add I’m also planning to take it with me on long trips through SE Asia.  It is heavy (essentially a desktop packed in a laptop), weighing 17 pounds including the ungodly 5-pound power brick.  I will basically use it as a mobile desktop, lugging it around in my suitcase and leaving it behind in the hotel room, while I go out to shoot.

I appreciate your support and words of advice.

Serban