6 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2014 8:47 AM by A.T. Romano

PRE9 Installing common files to different drive

Artiste2075

Installed PSE9 and PRE9 choosing E drive as my C drive is small & for Windows only.  However PRE9 installed Fonts and other common files to the C drive, filling it up. PSE may have done the same.  Can I cut and paste these to the E drive?  The programmes themselves did go onto the E drive. Thanks,  C

• 1. Re: PRE9 Installing common files to different drive
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements have programs are likely to give you problems if they're not installed on the C drive, along with your operating system and fonts, artiste.

• 2. Re: PRE9 Installing common files to different drive
            A.T. Romano Level 7

artiste2075

Adobe Staff at one time wrote in one of threads here that you can install Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements to other than the Local Disk C, but with the disclaimer that some parts of the program automatically install to a specific location in spite of where you would like them to be.

Then there is the matter of the performance of these programs when they are installed to other than the Local Disc C. Often you will see written the generalization that the program works best when installed to the Local Disc C. But, I do not recall any hard studies on the matter. So, I guess, if installing the program to the Local Disc C drive resolves whatever issue is that you are having, then that is the answer.

What is the computer operating system on which these programs are installed?

ATR

• 3. Re: PRE9 Installing common files to different drive
              Artiste2075 Level 1

Thank you Steve and AT Romano for your replies.  Sorry it has taken a while - I lost my internet connection for a while.

My operating system is 64bit Windows 7.  New computer built with a 60Gb SSD, and 2Tb Standard hard drive, with the intention that the SSD would only contain Windows, and all other programmes and data would go on the normal hard drive. Didn't realise that Windows itself would take up about 45Gb, so with a few small startup programmes on the SSD, it is now showing red and has only 3.5Gb free space.

• 4. Re: PRE9 Installing common files to different drive
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Artiste2075

I have not gotten into SSD drives and their management. But, here is my impression of your situation.

If SSD is to be your C drive, your answer appears to be to get a larger capacity SSD. A quick online search suggests that is going to be expensive (one 1 TB capacity SSD found showed list price about $800 US dollars). But, there are those with capacity more than 60 GB and less than 1 TB.

You could try to get the best performance possible from Premiere Elements installed to your 2TB standard hard drive, but these are some components of the program that will probably automatically go to the SSD (C drive). Also, make sure that none of the Premiere Elements Scratch Disks are directed to the SSD (C). See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: PRE9 Installing common files to different drive
                  Artiste2075 Level 1

ATR.

Thanks. Current plan is to buy another identical 60Gb SSD drive and instal them both as a RAID configuration, so this should double the size of my C drive.

I did instal the Photoshop Elements 12 and it went to exactly the same places as my original version 9 - about half on E drive, and half on C.

It appears to be working quite well without any hiccups or slowing down - so far!

The thing is that while I have fitted the programmes on to the C drive at the moment, I have more to instal now, and down the track, who knows how large future programmes will be.  They have grown so much in size in recent years.

Artiste2075

• 6. Re: PRE9 Installing common files to different drive
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Artiste2075

Thanks for the update. Sounds like progress.

I have not gotten in SSDs with or without RAID configuration, so all I can offer is from what I have read. I came across the following article which I am posting for possible informational purposes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

Have you considered saving for a single SSD with a much larger capacity than 128 GB?

Please let us know of further developments when you have the time.

Best wishes.

ATR