3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 9:47 AM by Alcarr

Saving a targa with a transparent background CS6

Alcarr

I am trying to save a targa file with a transparent background and when i save it the background seems to merge and turns white, even though I am saving the transparency in an alpha channel. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this is Photoshop CS6? There is no plug in to replace like there was in Photoshop 7.0

• 1. Re: Saving a targa with a transparent background CS6
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Photoshop does save the transparency info for targa, it's just in the 4th channel (1st alpha channel) instead of the transparency channel.

(no the targa plugin from photoshop 7 will not work in cs6)

(that was a one time change only in photoshop 7, but it was changed back in the photoshop 7.0.1 update to be just like photoshop cs6)

What program/application besides photoshop are you using the targa files for?

• 2. Re: Saving a targa with a transparent background CS6
            Alcarr Level 1

Thats the thing- I am not sure what step I am missing because I am saving the transparancy in the 1st alpha chanel- not the transparency chanel. I notice in my chanel tab, however, that there are 4 chanels noted (1.RGB, 2. Red, 3.Green,4. Blue then my alpha chanel). I am using this for a graphics program and the company I am working with will only accept .tga files with transparancy. Here are the steps I am taking:

1. Select and delete all information except the image

2. select inverse to select image

3. create alpha chanel

4. make sure image area is white and outside "transparant area" is black
            5. save image as targa

When I re-open the image what was transparant is now white.

Can you tell what I am missing?

Thank you SO MUCH for replying... this is important and has been driving me nuts.

• 3. Re: Saving a targa with a transparent background CS6
              Alcarr Level 1

Also I forgot to mention that the alpha chanels is checked when I am saving the image .tga