11 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 1:59 PM by A.T. Romano

with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?

Carol2R

Using Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?

• 1. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

carol2r

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? For now I will assume Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

1. Place the gray tabs of the WorkArea Bar so that they span just the Timeline content that is to be exported.

To position the gray tabs....move the Timeline Indicator to the beginning of the segment to be exported, as you hold down the Alt key, hit the left bracket key [

....then move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment to be exported, as you hold down the Alt key, hit the right bracket key ]

2. The other required part of this task is for you to have a check mark next to the "Share WorkArea Bar Only" option in the export setting. See Publish+Share/Computer/...... Most have the "Share WorkArea Only" option, some do not.

Remember, you need 1 and 2 of the above for this to work.

Please supply more details for fine tuning of a reply. If screenshots are necessary, I will post them.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
            Carol2R Level 1

Yes, I have Windows 7 64 bit and Premiere Elements 12 and YES, what you told me to do worked perfectly.  Success at last with step 1.  Thanks very much for that.

Step 2 is to include that clip in a PPT presentation.  I saved it in MPEG, which I had read was the right format for PowerPoint, but it (or my PC) seems to be missing a codec.

Then I tried saving it in AVCHD (although this takes quite a bit longer).  The video does play in PowerPoint but the audio (I am working with interviews) is lousy.  Any advice?

• 3. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>video does play in PowerPoint but the audio (I am working with interviews) is lousy.  Any advice?

Find a PowerPoint forum and ask what works, or search for PowerPoint information at Microsoft... and then create your file according to the PowerPoint specifications

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 4. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Carol2R

Thanks for the update. Sounding good except for the part about PowerPoint and its problems with the Premiere Elements file's audio.

a. What are the specific distortions of this audio once it gets to PowerPoint? Does the audio in the file play OK everywhere except in PowerPoint?

b. What is the duration of the Premiere Elements file that you are taking into PowerPoint? What settings did you use

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

and what was set for Presets? And, after you selected a preset, did you customize it under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab?

c. What version of PowerPoint are you using?

d. With regard to Premiere Elements and your first choice of a MPEG file....What were your MPEG choices?  Where did you run into "missing a codec"?

Please review and fill in as much information as possible and then we will try to put it together to get something that will work for you in PowerPoint.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Carol2R

Just a note...with the information that I asked for in post numbered 4, I will customize my reply to include the necessary PowerPoint and Premiere Elements details. In customizing, I will do the search for you and road test to confirm. If I run into problems in this regard, then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                    Carol2R Level 1

Hello,

I have PowerPoint 2010.

I just tried re-saving using AVCHD.  The choices I have are various types of M2T; MP4; TiVo; Vimeo & You Tube.  I used M2T-H264 1440x1080i25.  The clip is about 22 seconds.  If I just play it on its own, audio & visual are fine.  With this 2nd attempt to save and insert in PPT, it was ok.  The audio and visual aren't quite synced, but the audio quality is fine.

With the MPEG option (which I've also just tried for a 2nd time) there are various choices for DVD (e.g., NTSC or PAL; standard or wide angle), HP72o, various MPEG2, HPTV and TIVO.  I just took the option at the top of the list MPEG2 1440x1080i25.  If I just launch the saved clip directly, it plays as it should.  When I try to insert it into PPT, I first get a message that says that PPT is working on it (or words to that effect) and then a message that it can't import/insert that file, likely due to a missing codec.

For both the AVCHD and MPEG Share/Publish options, I did not customize the presets.

Cheers,

• 7. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Carol2R

Great information. Thanks. Two more questions.

What was your source media for the project, 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second or something else.

And, what did you or the program set as the project preset based on the properties of the source media? If you are not sure, check the project's Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

If you have source media for a project such as 1440 x 1080, then fine to set the project preset to

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080i25

But when it comes to export, best use the settings which involve 1920 x 1080 which does not have to depend on a 16:9 flag to stretch from 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080. Some players have problems recognizing the 16:9 flag.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Carol2R

I have Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 64 bit version. I suspect that you have the same. The problem with the AVCHD (.m2t) and MPEG2 (.m2t) files appears to be in that there are no 64 bit video and audio codecs for certain formats for PowerPoint 2010 64 bit to use.

Microsoft.JPG

And, if you go online, you get the rest of the story on 64 bit codec situation.

Error message when you try to insert an MPEG-4 or QuickTime Movie file into a PowerPoint 2013 or 2010 presentation: "Pow…

The easiest workaround for me was to do a Windows Media export...got excellent video and audio results in PowerPoint 2010, including the 16:9 orientation.

1. Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media/ with Presets = 720 x 480 16 x 9 29.97

2. Then under the Advanced Button Video Tab, set up for 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 frames per second as per the screenshot

wmvsettings.JPG

The .wmv export looked good. But, I find that a Windows Media export time seems longer than other export choices.

3..In Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, the typical slide is 4:3; whereas this video is 16:9. So, under Design/Page Setup, set for "On-screen Show (16:9)

4. Then,

Insert Tab

VideoVideo from File

then browse to and select your Premiere Elements .wmv export

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Carol2R

Due to the Adobe sudden issue with all the Adobe IDs and passwords, I am only now getting back into the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

How are you doing?

I will be traveling from now until Monday, but I will try to come online to see if any questions have developed in your project's workflow. I will be back to "normal" by this coming Monday afternoon.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 10. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                            Carol2R Level 1

Hello, A.T. Romano,

Don't know how you have the time to help in the forum, but very glad you do.  This is all new to me.  I now know that my source video is indeed 1440x1080; 25 frames per second.  Based on your message, I've been able to set the Edit presets to HDV1080i and 25 frames per second.  I don't see any setting for Frame Rate (aside from the Timebase) or Pixel Aspect Ratio.  Also, I didn't find a way to change the project presets for PAL; AVCHD; 1140x1080.

I did try importing MPEG and AVCHD formats again, with the same result as before.  However, Windows Media worked.  So thanks again.  Because nobody could log in yesterday, I didn't see your screenshot until today.  Thanks to that screenshot, I've finally been able to see where, under the Advanced Button Video Tab, I could set up from 1920x1080: 29.97 frames per second.  But actually, the audio is better without changing the advanced export settings.

Anyway, I feel that I am finally launched and can begin my project.

Thanks

• 11. Re: with Premiere Elements, how do I share (export) part of my video, not the whole thing?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Carol2R

Thanks for the reply and the good news of progress. Good job.

If you have footage that is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second, then you or the project should be setting the project preset to

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080i25

When you do that, what you see in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General will look like screenshot #2. The Edit Menu/Project Settings/General area is more to confirm the project settings set in Change Settings. Not much re-setting opportunities in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Screenshot # 1

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings (if manual setting of the project preset is indicated, that is, the program is not doing it OK)

PALPP.JPG

Screenshot #2

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

ProjectSettings.JPG

We were pleased to read

I feel that I am finally launched and can begin my project.

Please do some mini test runs as you progress. And, if any of the settings need fine tuning, please supply more details and we will work on that.

Please never hesitate to ask if you have questions or if you need clarification.

Thank you.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...I forgot to mention previously...when you are trying to change the Frame Size width and height under Advanced Tab/Video Tab of the preset in export, look to the right of those fields to a box. If the box has a chain link inside of it, then click on the chain to remove it. This will allow you to type in the numbers that you want for Frame Size width and height. Afterward, clicking on that empty box will bring back the chain in the box if ever want chain back in the box.